Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    32

    Default Glade plug-in fires

    Anyone have more info on this??? Real? Urban Legand? Myth?

    Received it from another firefighter via e-mail....

    My brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this last week. Their house burned down...nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance, so the home will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news. However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire.

    The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours.
    He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked my Sister-in-law what she had plugged in in the bathroom. She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her,
    "No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures. "Then, my sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-in in the bathroom. The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments.
    He said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has seen more home fires started with the plug in type room fresheners than anything else.
    He said the plastic they are made from is a THIN plastic. He said in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed.

    When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there. My sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim....and then finally go out. She would walk in a few hours later, and the light would be back on again.

    The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down, it would come back on. That is a warning sign.

    The investigator said he personally wouldn't have any type of plug in Fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many burned down homes.


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber Diane E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    Posts
    1,103
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

  3. #3
    Forum Member stm4710's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Yeah, that plugged in curling iron didnt fall into the hamper.
    Sounds fake, no department, no date, no state.
    It has a UL label for a reason.


    "No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures. "
    And thats practicly a line out of Backdraft.


    ***Edit***

    Dang it Diane...... you beat me too it.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Thanks...that is exactly what we were looking for.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I know of two occasions where fires have resulted from the IMPROPER use of plug-in air fresheners. The devices are designed to be used in a vertical position and this is how most electrical outlets are installed. Unfortunately, there are some cases where the electrical outlets are installed horizontally. I have this in my kitchen and I have also seen it in some bathrooms. Most of these devices have been tested by UL or a similar lab in the vertical position. That is how they are designed to work. Both of the fires I am aware of occurred when the homeowner used the device in the horizontal position. This causes the fragrance oil to flow into the electrical components of the unit. Neither of the fires I am aware of resulted in significant loss (in other words, they don't match up with the story. There may be others that I don't know about.

    By the way, some manufacturers of plug-in air fresheners will provide users with adapters for horizontal plugs. The adapter allows the unit to operate in a vertical position even if the plug is a horizontal installation. The last time I checked, the adapters were provided free of charge.

  6. #6
    Forum Member ffexpCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    909

    Default

    The newer ones have an adjustable plug, no adaptor needed.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Whenever something burns there is almost always some evidence left behind of what it was. That said, it will be there at the end of the fire if you have a good firefighting crew. (evidence eradication team)I say almost always because you never say "never" and "always." Just about everytime you can trace something back and find something if you are patient enough and dig deep enough.

    I can say in my time, and everyone else I have talked to with 30+ years investigation experience, say this is BS. I personally investigated a fire where the plug in was used sideways like mentioned above. The scented oil drained into the outlet itself, shorted out the plug and melted the plastic causing a small fire on the kitchen countertop. It had potential to get big and mean but didn't. Again, as mentioned above, that is the IMPROPER USE of it, not a design flaw.

    keep your head down and you powder dry.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts