Thread: ATV attachment

Default ATV attachment

Hey, ive got a question to all the folks that read these forums. i myself have learned alot from them. but today i have a question. my department just purchased an ATV 6 wheeler. We have alot of state forest in our town and we have been lucky so far as not to have many deep woods rescues, such as falls, off road vehicle crashes, etc... well any ways i was wondering if any one out there's department has one of these vehicles and has an attachment to it to place long boards on to extricate people from these enviorments? thax again

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Try This.........

I own a Yamaha "Big Bear" ATV. This is a four wheel type with cargo racks on the front and back. I've never used it for an emergency, but I did try mounting a Stokes Basket sideways on the rear rack. Driving Slow, with a couple of people on foot at each side, we went about a half mile with approx. 200 lbs in the basket, with no problems. I'm confident that we could evacuate a victim if necessary. An accident such as a fall from a tree stand is a real possibility, and this is one way to speed up the process of getting help where it's needed.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is what my dept recently got, you can see the area for the stokes basket or backboard on top of the tank. Any questions contact me. dkeith@mchsi.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Check this out.....

Pipeman,

Check out the medi vac option of this trailer. What is nice is that you can use the trailer for various tasks other than rescue making it a very flexable platform.

http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com/aboutus.html

Ahwaga Ladder Co. #5
    "We still live!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Lightbulb John Deere has it

If you bought a real ATV it is a John Deere Gator. A full ambulance package is available, after market, for this unit. My ambulance service just got one and it will be the "nuts". We are still in the process of mounting the light bar, siren and radio but by summer it will work good for special events.

Your John Deere dealer should have details on the package.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

The gators are nice, but they don't have the payload or the motor that the rangrs have. We did our home work and the rangers seemed to be the best for what we wanted it to do.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

The gator is well suited to a golf course but nothing much more challenging. The Army purchased, and is still using, a bunch of them - 6 wheel, for test purposed gas version and then diesel version. A BIG improvement from the good old walking Sherpa method but their do not hold up well under offroad or severe use/abuse. Many better (more capable) vehicles though many/most do not have a diesel option, a requirement for military.

Thread Information