Thread: jeep cherokee

MembersZone Subscriber

Default jeep cherokee

where did the magnesium come from in the article today?Being transported or is part of the jeep?

Early Adopter

My guess would be that the magnesium was part of the vehicle. Although the explosion in the photos is larger than anything I've personally encountered on the job... I've seen it flash and pop before and always around the driver's seat. It appears that's where the firefighter in the picture was directing his stream.

MembersZone Subscriber

i agree a lot of mag and seems to be coming from the dash?

MembersZone Subscriber

The F-series trucks have nearly 400 or 500 lb's of mag in their bodies. Not sure where or what is for. This is what I heard in a recent extrication class. This is for all NEW trucks... I think 2004 and higher.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

I believe that there is magnesium in the steering column.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

and engine blocks as well IIRC.........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I believe that there is magnesium in the steering column.
    Late model Mustangs have it, too...believe me.

Forum Member

Many vehicles' transmission casing is made of Mag. That would be my guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

From the Society of Automotive Engineers article here.

Production magnesium components currently emphasize interior applications, such as steering column brackets, instrument panel, seat frames, steering wheel, ashtray door, sunroof track assembly, and mounting structure for compact disc player/cassette player. But future applications expand magnesium's territory to roof panels, hood, rear deck lid, wheels, intake manifold, cylinder head cover, oil pan, starter/alternator, and engine block.

IIRC magnesium is valued because it is stiff, light, and casts and machines well.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Alot of vehicles have magnesium in them GM pickups transfer cases are mag. I have seen it in steering columns and seat tracks. You might as well figure all vechicle have it some where so it is not a suprise.

Forum Member

I seem to remember something from high school chemistry about magnesium becoming extremely brittle under certain conditions. Am I wrong about this because if that is the case it sure doesnt make sense to have it in cars (unless you want those parts to fail after a certain number of miles...)

MembersZone Subscriber

I seem to remember something from high school chemistry about magnesium becoming extremely brittle under certain conditions. Am I wrong about this because if that is the case it sure doesnt make sense to have it in cars (unless you want those parts to fail after a certain number of miles...)
    As with most "singular" metals, most are mixed with others to make an alloy with the main ingredient being magnesium. The mixing makes it stronger.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I talked to tech support engineer at a magnesium mfg yesterday on subject of using selfdrilling screws into magnesium. Was told nogo as mag is to brittle, need to predrill. And corrosion problem.

Big new magnesium market is transfer cases, just starting with transmissions, no engine blocks (at least of production cars). In any of these applications galvanic corrosion is a BIG problem around fastners, have to apply sealant around any screw heads to prevent water infiltration.

Forum Member

Originally posted by neiowa
    I talked to tech support engineer at a magnesium mfg yesterday on subject of using selfdrilling screws into magnesium. Was told nogo as mag is to brittle, need to predrill. And corrosion problem.

Big new magnesium market is transfer cases, just starting with transmissions, no engine blocks (at least of production cars). In any of these applications galvanic corrosion is a BIG problem around fastners, have to apply sealant around any screw heads to prevent water infiltration.
    The VW Beetle of the 1950's through 1970's had an engine block made of magnesium. An engine compartment fire in one of those was always "interesting" to say the least. VW stopped selling the air cooled engined Beetle in the mid 1970's due to its inability to meet emission standards; a few of them are still on the roads today.

The old style Beetle can still be found in sunny Mexico.

PS: our Car 3 (A 2001 Chevy Suburban 4x4) just had to have the transfer case replaced because it became as the dealership stated "pourous". It took a fight, but it was done under warranty. I wonder if it was a magnesium housing...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by sconfire
    The F-series trucks have nearly 400 or 500 lb's of mag in their bodies. Not sure where or what is for. This is what I heard in a recent extrication class. This is for all NEW trucks... I think 2004 and higher.
    If I remember correctly ford put out a warning that they had Magnesium radiator brackets of some sort that was causing an issue during fires.

On a side note...growing up we used to go to the desert alot and ride three wheelers and we had a dune buggy. My dad used to go to the salvage yard and purchase a VW engine case and bring it with us. At night we used to go to a place called competition hill. Well everyone started bonfires to light up the hill and people would race. My dad and his buddies would throw the VW blocks on the fire and it would light the place up like daytime. Fun with fire I guess

Rigin

Forum Member

We had a fire in a 03 ford 450 I went to put it out and some mag near the drivers seat exploded but not quit as bad as the jeep. It was not a problem after the initial water steam hit it there were still lots of sparks flying. Pretty cool actualy.

Forum Member

One firefighter was caught in the exploding magnesium. Due to having all of his PPE on, he was not injured. The bunker coat, hood, and other components were damaged by the fire.
    Yet some people insist a coat and maybe a hemet is enough?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yet some people insist a coat and maybe a helmet is enough?
    EXCELLENT!!!

I could not have said it better. Who needs those pesky ole' hoods?!

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Yet some people insist a coat and maybe a hemet is enough
    EXCELLENT!!! I could not have said it better. Who needs those pesky ole' hoods?!
    Damn you 2 are worse then my wife. Let it go man.

Rigin

Forum Member

Let it go? Let what go? I don't know what your problem is. I have not participated in any of the childish "I don't need gear vs. You need full gear" threads on here. I saw the story. I saw the picture. I made a statement based on that. So, YOU sir seem to be the only one that needs to let something go since you are taking an issue from another thread and trying to drag me into it for now reason.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information