Thread: Age question

Default Age question

I am noticing in a lot of the materials I am reading that there is a maximum age for eligibility of 35 years old. At 33 am I starting too late?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well you haven't reach the age cut off yet. But there are some exceptions, that extend the age limit. Not sure about all the nitty-gritty detail; like if you've worked at a fd before/currently then you could be over the age of 35. As for starting to late, not realy sure. I know a girl, well a woman, who just got licensed as an EMT-B at 36yrs. and has/is tested/ing for fd.

Best of luck, and start testing ASAP.

Jorie
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Chitown, that would be a "no, it's not too late," but you are definately under the gun. If there's any way to get your medic, do it double-pronto quick-like.

Also, sniff around and see if you can get on with a POC or combo department. I know a couple people in a suburban combo department who were hired full time after the age of forty only because they were POCs before being hired.

A good friend of mine just got hired about a year ago, less than six months before his 35th birthday. So it's possible.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Default Age Restrictions

While it is true that most departments have an age restriction, there are those that do not. Champaign has no such age restriction. The group I was hired with included one person who was 39. I'm sure it weighs into the interview process but just because you hit 35 you're not out. Best of luck!

STAY SAFE!

MembersZone Subscriber

Look under 'Emergency Jobs Central' then click on 'Hiring & Employment Discussion' there is a thread there under the subject 'age of candidates'.

Would give you a direct link, but dun know how.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Question Thanks for the information...

What would be the best way to get my Medic quickly? I am enrolling in the COD EMT class starting in January, but is there a faster way?

MembersZone Subscriber

No, newbie, ya gotta start at the bottom, unfortunately.

Also, do a search for a firm called "Fire Hire." They will notifiy of departments in Northern Illinos that are hiring. If you tell them your qualifications, they will only send you notices for departments you qualify for; for example, if you have no certifications, there's no point in sending you a notice for a department that requires you to be paramedic to take a test. They charge so much for so many notices; $20 for ten, if I remember right.

Try to do a search, and in the meantime, I'll see if I can dredge up the contact info.

Anybody else know of them?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Lightbulb

that clown is scaring me ................
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking no more clowns!

Noticed Jay changed it!
    That only shows how considerate he is. I would add more, but don't want to embarrass him.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ha!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Embarrass Jay? How? Oh, I know how, we'll get our fire station done before he does.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jboczek
    Embarrass Jay? How? Oh, I know how, we'll get our fire station done before he does.
    Women can always find a way to embarrass men.

Sorry to say this; but Jack, Jay is really ahead of you. I don't think you are going to catch up that easily. Only by some miracle.

Thread Information