Thread: Supplements

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Supplements

Just courious if anyone uses supplements or meal replacments as part of their health and fitnees program. If so what do you recomend.

MembersZone Subscriber

To supplement my protein, I use whey protein powder and mix a shake with it. Meal replacements are just what they say...a quick way to have a balanced meal without a lot of preperation. I have used these, but usually prefer real food.

Beside this, I take a multi-vitamin once a day and an oil pill (fish oil) twice a day.

I have taken creatine to increase muscle, but proper lifting and time will do the same thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Yet again, I have to agree with my posting friend, Volliefireman.
    Protein is a great addition; For our job, we need all the fuel we can get. No need for meal replacements. If you want or are interested in leaning out, a good diet (with the right amount of carbs, don't forget) and protein powder in fat free milk, makes for a nice additive. The protein is what builds the mussels... equally as important as breaking them down in the gym. Creatine? Some of my brothers swear by it, I don't. Apparently it doesn't work on about 5-10% of people...That may be me. But my team mates can't seam to live with out it. Studies haven't shown adverse affects yet, but who knows... your body makes this stuff; if your body continuously gets a supply of it for free, who’s to say it might quit making it??? As Vollie says, just work hard! You’ll get the results.
    Diet + Hard Work + time commitment = another hard core Combat Challenge Firefighter
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Vollie and Wildman, your responce is greatly appreciated. Also Wildman, your web-site on your combat team is awesome and I have found it very motivational. Thaks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

zcam, if you think the photos of the Comat Challenge are inspirational, what till you compete. After one challenge you are hooked and looking for more that are relative close to you.

Or you start planning your vacations around where the challenge will be.

Forum Member

I use whey protein to supplement my protein intake when I'm lifting (usually in the winter time).

The big problem with protein supplements I found is that most of them also had more fat content than I wanted. Whey To Go brand (produced by Solgar) or Hammer Whey I found were the best.

I also use the energy gel Hammer Gel. Good consistancy, can be mixed with water, uses very little simple sucrose and fructose, lots of maltodextrin and other long chain carbs so they're easy on the stomach and don't give you a sugar spike and then crash.

When I'm cycling a lot in the summer I use 2 oz of Gel with a tablespoon of whey for recovery and in the winter I use about 1 oz of Gel and 2 tablespoons of whey for recovery, but I'll vary the amounts a bit depending on the workout and other dietary considerations for that day/week.

Never tried creatine or the like, never desired to. I am a big supporter of Hammer products and E-caps, great company, very good products, I'd highly recommend you start there for your supplements.

Forum Member

Default Supplements and what they have done for me

I think that supplements are a vital part of nutrition and can be used as an energy source. Some of the easiest supplements to take would be a good multi vitamin, Omega 3,6&9 (fish oils) and a protein supplement. If you are into working out on a regular basis (weight training) you may want to look into other supplements to compliment your dietary supplements.

I am currently taking a multi vitamin twice daily, protein shake at least once and up to 4 times a day and the Omega 3,6,&9 oils. Protein is great for helping to build muscle but won't do it on its own. Muscle is basically protein. You can obtain protein from you food like chicken and fish but along with bringing in the protein you also bring in the bad fats and other toxins. Protein is such a fine compound (in supplement form) that the body can absorb it rapidly as opposed to 4-5 hours from food. Although protein supplements do have fat in them it is nothing compared to getting it from the food you eat. The fish oils help to block out the bad fats from being stored ie. trans and saturated fats. The only downfall I have found is that I break out a little and my hair can get greasy.

Currently I am off of creatine but will be back on it in a few weeks. I have found that creatine does help with energy and muscle building to give you that few extra reps in the gym. The new creatines are better then some of the old one which can make you feel bloated and have occasional stomach pains. Look for a creatine that doesn't make you retain water if you are interested in taking it. I will be combining a Nitric Oxide (NO2) supplement with the creatine for my next cycle to increase that "pump" feeling in my muscles.

NO2 helps dialate your arteries to get more bloodflow to your muscles under stressful conditions ie. when you are working out. I haven't yet tried NO2 but am looking forward to it. From those who I have talked to that have been on it say they feel that "workout rush or pump" for a few hours after they have left the gym instead of for a few minutes. NO2 will help in strengthening and increasing lean muscle mass.

Most importantly I have changed my diet. This has been a huge help in reaching my goals a lot sooner. Along with diet and exercise I have found that supplements have helped me reach and go beyond my goals that I have set sooner then if I haven't taken any. I now have bigger goals and hope to reach them with some hard work.

There are a lot of companies out there with a lot of products that will help you reach your goals. I suggest to find the ones that will work the best for you and give them a try. Do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

I have enjoyed most of the ProLab products that I have used and currently I am experimenting with Labrada. Here is a website where I get my supplements from and there is a lot of good info on different products here. The website is Canadian so prices will vary out of country. fitmassonline.com

Hope this helps

Forum Member

Default Fish Oil Supplements

Fish oils rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The most important omega-3 fatty acids are EPA and DHA. Fish Oil Concentrate is a mixture of natural triglycerides providing a dietary source of Omega-3 polyunsaturates containing Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). Fish oil Supplement Omega Balance, Omega EPA Fish Oil, Fish Oil, MaxEPA Fish Oil, Enteric Coated Omega-3 Fish Oils, Fish Oil Omega-3, Highly Potent PFO, Pure Fish Oil, The Total EFA with Fish Oil, ultra omega-3 & more.

For Fish Oil Supplements :
    Fish Oil Supplements

Fish Oil Article

Health articles

Forum Member

How much does NO2 cost? Would that be considered a performance enhancing drug if I took it in conjunction with a PAT test?

I used to take creatine but found it made me bloated feeling. Also, I found it hard to drink water as much as is recommended when you're on creatine because I hate having to go pee that much. That plus the cost made me decide to hold off. I used to take L-glutamine powder, but haven't seen any benefit to it so I stopped.

I take 1000mg of glucosamine/chondroitin per day for joint repair partly because I have a family history of joint degradation.

For medical purposes: I take almost 2000mg of fish oil. I'm fixing to add niacin, policosanol, and CoQ10 to that for cholesterol control - I'm 29 w/ the cholesterol of a 40 yr old (another family history thing). I also take lecithin for neural performance but only because I'm fixing to test for another department. I take a multivitamin x1/day. I take several chewable Vitamin C a day because I'm a paramedic and around sick people constantly.

2 supplements I found to be helpful are BCAAs and Zn-Mg Aspartate(?). The ZMA, when taken before bed time, help you sleep and help recover. I'm a poor sleeper anyway so the ZMA helps me sleep better, sometimes without waking up during the night!! With the BCAAs I have noticed that I can perform hard even after a hard workout the previous day. That used to not be the case. It may be in my head though .

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Supplement and Diet program

I got this workout and supplement program from my old football & strength coach in college. When I was testing for Departments, I was killing the CPAT strength wise but needed to imporve my speed and conditioning so he gave me this routine. I was 6'4 277lbs 3 months ago, now i'm 250 and added 20 pounds to my bench. Its an expensive program supplement wise, and your gonna have to change your calorie intake to fit your body, but you get the idea. If you can afford it and stick with it, you'll see great results. Plus, all this stuff is legal and you can buy it all at GNC but look for it online where its cheaper. Good Luck

wake up 20g whey/water
    30 min later 3-5g arginnine 5g glutamine BCAA

MEAL 1 vitamen, fish oil,
    8am-6 egg whites, 1 cup cream of wheat, water

11am-8oz top round steak, 2 cups white rice, broccoli

1pm-8oz chicken, 2 cups brown rice, asparagus

30minutes pre-workout
    3-5g arginine, 5g glut, BCAA HD-17

Immediately preworkout 40g whey, 3-5g creatine, 500mg ALA

after workout 5g glut, 5g BCAA

30 min postworkout 40g whey, 3-5g creatine, 500mg ALA

4pm-60g protein/150carbs shake

7pm-8oz top round steak, 1 1/2 cup white rice, spinach vit, fish oil

10pm-8oz tilapia fish, broccolli

30 min before bed ZMA

Forum Member

Man that's a lot of food. How do you eat that much and not feel like you're going to barf? Especially eating within 30 min of working out?

Thread Information