MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scott Voice Amplifier

Hey all,

I did a search on the threads and didn't see anything out there that specifically spoke to this product, sooooooo....

Is there anyone out there whose departments has these installed on their AV3000 masks, and can offer some insight as to how well they work "on the job".

- Do they unbalance the mask noticeably?
    - Do they hold up to the normal abuse masks take?
    - How is the battery life (really 20 hours of use per battery)?

And any other positive or negative comments that you may have. We are thinking of purchasing these for our new packs, and want some tried and true feedback from the ones actually using these on a day to day basis....

Thanks to all, and happy holidays - Stay Safe!!!!

Awahga Ladder Co# 5
    "We still Live!"

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We had the voice amps on some of our older av2000 masks and when we got our grant and got all new scba we got them installed on all of our av3000 face pieces.

the attachment for the voice amp to the av3000 mask is far superior to the av2000. We had cases where the av2000 voice amps would fall off the mask if bumped right. the av3000 has a positive attachment with a screw that eliminated that problem.

As far as battery life...20 hours? I can't honestly say. I don't recall changing more than a couple of batteries all the time we had the av2000 masks with the amps.

I think they do make communications easier. They eliminate the garbled yelling that is the norm without a voice amp.

The funny thing is the voice amp costs more than the mask itself!!

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

We just got our packs about 8 months ago with the amps, I really like them. We also got the Envo coms, I hate them, adds wires and more crap. Plus I never remember to grab the portable radios on the way out of the hall that they hook into. I personally think a voice amp with speaker/mic on the radio works just as good as anything. They both help alot in how clear the transmissions are, we haven't used the amps enough to see how long the battery lasts. We have been just trying to keep the paks running, the NXG2 have excess battery drain, not sure if the chief or Scott dealer got the paks fixed yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

They work well for team communication from person to person. If you are talking into the radio you need to actually hold it to the other side of your mask. The voice amp is not really designed to have a radio held up to. You end up sounding like the teacher from peanuts if you hold your radio next to the amp. Only other problem we seem to have is it is easy to click the amp on so the batteries will be dead when you come back on shift.

Rigin

Forum Member

Default Re: Scott Voice Amplifier

Originally posted by scottab96

- Do they unbalance the mask noticeably?

Not at all...you don't even notice its on....

- Do they hold up to the normal abuse masks take?
    They sure do...just so as long as you don't use your face to breach a wall....

- How is the battery life (really 20 hours of use per battery)?
    Works good...last long time.... We have had ours installed on all of our masks...about 40. We did that back in April...they get used often and we have not replaced a single battery....

The downside.....

Keep the amp off when your not speaking...it picks up breathing and grunting...and a half dozen Ffs in a room with them on...it will sound like cats mating....

All in all...we love them...
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

All in all...we love them...
    Same here. You just have to break the habit of talking too loudly, or you can overdrive them. They seem to work best when you talk in a normal voice.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had the same problem as Rigin1 with them getting turned on accidently, and running the batteries dead.

Forum Member

They are worth having...I would practice using them with radios, because like someone said before me, they can actually make radio traffic sound worse.

My biggest problem with them is the lack of a battery meter. The green light coming on when you check it in the morning doesn't give you much indication of battery life left...and I've had a couple instances when it failed on me while in training and during operations. I usually go ahead and change the batteries if I can't get it to "feedback" when I turn it on.

Thread Information