Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default 24/48 Industrial Fire Departments

I work on an industrial fire department and we are currently on a 40 hour rotating shift. I'm looking for info from an industrial department that runs a 24/48 hour shift. We're thinking about changing over and am looking for ideas on how others might handle it.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Sorry, we work a 12 hour, 2-2-3 rotation. I'd love to work 24's, if we only did emergency response, but we also have security and dispatch responsibilities, so when we're on there's no "down" time.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber tridget80's Avatar

i used to work for a industrial type crash rescue dept, we worked 24 hour shifts, we were required to keep one person in dispatch for crash phones ane etc.... also had to keep one man up for fire patrols , which had to be once every hour. on hour 24 shift we worked 4 firefighters and 1 officer, the firefighter rotated a sleep schedule. 2 firefighters could go to bed at 2000 hrs and get up at 0200am, then the two that stay up would go to sleep till 0700am. this rotated every shift who tsay up late and who went to bed early, the officer would stay up till midnight or so to fill in the case we had some standbys to occur, and if a call comes in everyone got up>

i hope this helps some
    lead, follow, or move the hell out of the way.

Default 24/45

I think ford in indiana is working 24's, check with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 24/48 Industrial Fire Departments

I work for Wackenhut Services, Inc at Ciba Specialty Chemicals in McIntosh, AL. Here we run a full service fire department with 7 personnel per shift. We run a 24/48 system. When our department was developed in 1999 Ciba wanted firefighters with ProBoard Certifications. There are only a couple of industrial departments in Alabama and to find qualified firefighters Ciba knew that they would have to make the job conditions similar to municipal departments. If I can help you in any way feel free to email me at robert.taylor@cibasc.com

Forum Member

Slightly off topic, but any Municipal FDs working 8 hour shifts. Our backwards ***** chief and City Manager are trying to put us on either 8 or 12 hour shifts. Wondering if anybody is working this, and do you get hung overtime on these type shifts, cause we are on 24 and 48 and get stuck OT all the time.

Thread Information