Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Philly and KME

Forum Member

Default Philly and KME

I remembered hearing of some problems with KME tower ladders in Philly. My dept. recently accepted bids for a tower, and guess who is low?
    What was the final resolution, or if not resolved, where does this issue stand?
    Thanks

Exclamation

Not quite sure about Philly, but I would worry myself, if my department ever bought another KME!

You probably could go to Philly's web site and write them. I am sure they would share the info. http://www.phila.gov/fire/

Had enough problems with the pumpers we bought and still have.

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-17-2004 at 04:27 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Philly took delivery of, rejected and then returned the KME TL. Trucks did not meet spec. What didn't mach up I don't know.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

http://www.blackwoodfire.org

We have been running a KME tower for a couple of years now. Normal bugs and issues, but our after sale service has been fantastic. In defense of KME, the major issues we have had have been with components (light tower, generator, etc...) The aerial device is excellent, we did a head to head comparison with LTI and the results were not even close. It swayed anyone with a doubt about the KME aerial. One issue to stay on top of is workmanship. We did spend some extra time at the factory making sure things were right and KME responded every time. KME was also the only manufacturer willing to go the extra mile to engineer in some of the things we wanted (ladder storage, pump, hose, etc...) One point on Philly, from talking to some of the people involved, the guys at Ladder 22 did not want the rig from the beginning. In many ways I agree, it was much bigger than the rig they were running and they had issues with maneuvering it. That being said, I think you run into the same problem with any tower ladder, you need to make sure it fits your district.
    Last edited by Halligan84; 12-17-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Default KME...JUST SAY NO!

Here is a cut-and-paste from a previous thread......

A PLETHORA of problems.......
    As I understand it, it began with the newly delivered heavy rescue and the problems they had with it, and KME's hesitation to accept the problems as theirs.....Arguing back and forth between Detroit Diesel/Allison (the manufacturer of the engine and transmission) and KME....KME stated engine and tranny problems were DD/A's problem. DD/A claimed it was KME's fault as their products were installed incorrectly. Apparently DD/A finally proved that it was indeed KME's problem. That doesn't include all the other problems with the truck. Big surprise, huh?

Then, the first tower was delivered and placed in service as Ladder Co. 22. Apparently at one of it's first working fires, where victims were hanging in windows, the electronic-over-hydraulic tower controls failed when the bucket brought the first group of saves to the ground. There it stayed until the job was brought under control, when a representative of Shop 2 was called to the scene to investigate. He was unable to determine the problem, so KME's rep was called. He stated to the Philadelphia Field Tech "Do this, this and this....It should work." The Philly Field Tech refused at the orders of someone higher up, stating that if "You break it, you buy it....And KME will say that YOU broke it, and you are not a KME Certified Tech. Rumor has it that this happened to some other Philly Techs when repairs were made to KME apparatus in Philly's shop. So The Philly Tech asked for a factory rep to come to Philly to repair the apparatus.....After arguing back and forth, KME finally sent a tech out. Then billed the city for approx. $2300. The city refused to pay, citing that the vehicle was still under warranty. KME's position was that the service rep told the tech what to do, releasing him from liability. Now it is a back-and-forth circus........Reminds me of the days back when Philly bought the E-One pumpers....Again, numerous problems from a garbage builder.....

They never had the problems with the Seagrave Apparatus!

Here is the link to this thread, which is 2 pages long:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=51366
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is a truck that was purchased by the dept of a fellow forum member here on firehouse.com.

It has been returned for being a lemon and is now currently for sale on KME's website. Correct me if I am wrong 77 but this is the rig right?

http://www.kovatch.com/Default.aspx?...D=211&tabid=46

IUt sure does look a hell of a lot like it if it is. http://www.withthecommand.com/appara...northwood.html
    Last edited by k1500chevy97; 12-18-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Yes, it appears that is our truck......... The funniest thing is that KME does not have it, yet..... They are replacing our truck (the one in the pictures) with a new one on a GMC 5500 chassis...... They are supposed to get the chassis in sometime this month or next, and we should have it sometime in March or April.........

That is just hilarious....... You can see in their pic where they touched it up to remove some of our decals.....

EDIT***

We finally came to an "agreement" with KME on it....... They are building us a replacement truck on the different chassis, with some more features than what this one has for ~ $151,000........ They are giving us $125,000 for the old one (which surprisingly is what they are asking for it)....... We just have to pay the $26,000 difference......

EDIT***

See my previous posts on this topic for issues that we had or email/PM me for questions
    Last edited by firenresq77; 12-21-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Default JUST FREAKING CRAZY

They do not even have the truck that they are trying to sell. So is the new truck done? Or maybe they'll put a rush on the new one if they sell this P.O.S. on there web site.

Default Re: JUST FREAKING CRAZY

Originally posted by Fire40man
    Or maybe they'll put a rush on the new one if they sell this P.O.S. on there web site.
    See my post later on in this thread.........
    Last edited by firenresq77; 12-21-2004 at 04:18 PM.

Thumbs down

ah ..........fun at the produce market !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

ALL MANUFACTURERS WILL MAKE A "BAD" TRUCK EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE PIERCE, E-ONE, KME, SUTPHEN. AMERICAN LAFRANCE, OR ONE OF THE SMALLER MANUFACTURERS LIKE 4-GUYS....... IT HAPPENS.

The bottom line is that as long as the manufacturer stands by it's product and is willing to make things right with the truck, everything should be OK.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I could have such fun with this ......... but ya what HE said !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

WAH! WAH!

Default For that kinda money...

Did you at least get kissed?

Forum Member

Default Aerial Issues

January 10, 2005 - Based on a number of incidents reported by IAFF affiliates involving the ALL-STEER system manufactured on Pierce fire apparatus, in July 2004, the IAFF requested that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigate this equipment and initiate a formal government involved recall.

NHTSA contacted all IAFF locals involved and addressed the issue with Pierce Manufacturing. Due to the strong efforts of the IAFF, NHTSA and especially Natick, MA Local 1707, Pierce Manufacturing has now issued a formal vehicle recall for Pierce 2002-2004 models with custom chassis. Pierce has identified 64 potentially affected vehicles.

IAFF Local 1707 President Danny Hartwell led the town of Natick battle with Pierce Manufacturing and was able to get the town refunded $648,773 for the quint truck it had purchased. The quint, equipped with Pierce’s All-Steer System, was involved in an accident in February 2004. The quint sat in a repair shop for months after the incident when the ALL-STEER system self-engaged while responding to a call, turning the rear-end of the truck into a tree. At that time, Pierce investigators ruled out mechanical problems and determined human error was not to blame. Local 1707 and the Natick Fire Department insisted it was equipment failure.

“All of our collective hard work paid off, and we were able to keep the truck off the streets of Natick, says Hartwell. “The IAFF’s involvement ensured that this safety issue was addressed for all IAFF affiliates.”

Speaking on behalf of the more than 267,000 IAFF members, General President Harold Schaitberger said, “I strongly believe this is a win-win for all parties involved. The town of Natick has been fully refunded for apparatus that was not safe for our brothers and sisters or the people they protect, and now all other apparatus in use today are being recalled.”

Default KME Mini

Chief should have bought an Mid size chassis in the first place 77.

99 to Lucas County Med channel to Lukes.

Default Re: KME Mini

Originally posted by ffmedic9926
    Chief should have bought an Mid size chassis in the first place 77.

99 to Lucas County Med channel to Lukes.
    We all tried to tell him that multiple times, didn't we!?!?!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Default no office visit for him ...........

he could probably say what he wanted since he is no longer with the "firm" ?Welcome to the forums .......... and oh ya let me say this ......if you arent sure if a topic has been discussed to a search.....and as a newbie watch this ! http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
    Last edited by Weruj1; 01-16-2005 at 07:19 PM.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Default Re: no office visit for him ...........

Originally posted by Weruj1
    he could probably say what he wanted since he is no longer with the "firm' ?
    Very true....... Hey weren't they looking for a heavy rescue????
    IACOJ

they already have one .........
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information