Forum Member

Default raising money for Fire Prevention

I just took over the Fire Prevention for the Fire Service that I'm with. I was thinking of some ways to make some money for the Fire Prevention Office, so that I don't have to rely on donations. I came up with some ideals, they are as follows charging the buisnesses in my area to do fire extingusher demo's and tell them what they need to work on in drills (ie. fire drills). Can anyone tell me if they know of a fire dept that does this and how much the charge for to do it. Or if anyone know ways of making money for fire prevention. Of course all the money that comes in will go back into the fire prevention budget.

thank you and be safe out there

Forum Member

Default Revenue for Fire Prevention

There are lots of way to generate revenue for fire prevention. Here are a couple of revenue thoughts.
    1. Either charge for fire inspections or due an annual business registration. We charge an annnual business registration that gives my fire prevention bureau $60,000 annually.
    2. Charge for permits under your State Fire Code or Local Ordinance.
    3. We charge for the storage of Hazardous Materials which gives us an addition $80,000 in revenue.
    4. Charge for Smoke Detector inspection for 1 & 2 family homes when they are sold.

I am the Fire Marshal in my community in NJ, Fairfield. NJ has a Uniform Fire Code and the State charges a fee for Life Hazard Use properties and the Local Municipality receives 65% of the revenue that the state collects.

In 2004 my office collected $256,000 in annual revenue.

If you would like help contact me at 973-882-2740 or e-mail me at wsmith.fireprev@fairfieldtownhall.com

In Public Safety,

William Smith, Fire Marshal
    Township of Fairfield
    230 Fairfield Road
    Fairfield, NJ 07004

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Prevention Funding Options

Not sure if your dept. currently applies yearly for the Assistance to FireFighters Grant thru FEMA/DHS. If not, you can apply in March for Fire Prevention funds. If they do, and are planning to apply for a more conventional Fire Fighter Safety or Fire Venhicle, if there are funds still available (not applied for in March/April) then, they will possibly open up the Fire Prevention grant in Sept/Oct like the past 2 years. EVen if you have applied and/or won/lost the AFG grant you can apply for much needed Fire Prevention funding. Stay tuned to FEMA/DHS website for more info.

I know of one area from here that uses telemarketing to raise all of it's fire prevention materials budget. They have excellent success with it too. Especially where they are a volly area that has three depts under one FP Division.
    Don't know if that is an option where you are.

Forum Member

Default thank you

thank you to those that have responded to the my question. I'm going to try them out to see if it can work for me. If anyone has any more ides please feel free the to keep the ideals coming in and again thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Another idea, if your department doesn't already do so... not sure if the prevention department would get all or some of the money. You could always do what a lot of police departments have started doing, when you respond to three or more false fire alarms at the same location within a quarterly period, you charge them, and usually with a step in the fee for each response.

Example
    Jan 01 2005 to Mar 31 2005

1st three false alarms - no charge
    4th false alarm - $50
    5th false alarm - $100
    6th false alarm - $150
    7th false alarm - $200

Now come Apr 01 2005, it reverts back to the first three false alarms - no charge.

Just an idea... I worked in a Central Station, and know that people just don't want to put the money out for their alarm system to be serviced, but when it really starts impacting their wallet...

Thread Information