Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Webbing Uses

Default Webbing Uses

Many people carry various lengths of webbing in their gear, what could you use this for besides rescue harnesses?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Our RIT companies are issued various lengths and use it for different downed firefighter drags.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Loop it around a hose and use the other end on your shoulder opposite your "gun" hand; helps hold and control the hose.Use to secure things,use to drag victims,hold door open,you get the idea.A tool of many uses. T.C.

Forum Member

I've used mine to secure pp fans in upper story windows; better than losing a 1,500.00 fan out the window. Like everyone else mentioned, the general concept is usually to drag a fellow firefighter out.

Maybe to tow a piece of equipment from the ground upto a window?

I keep an 8ft length for when forcing doors, wrap it around the handle so you can "maintain control"
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Forum Member

If you anchor one end, you can take a carabiner and tie a munter hitch in the webbing and rappel down it. This may come in handy if a section of stairs is collapsed. You can also make a ladder out of it, anchor it to a haligan that has had the point driven into the floor, and your partner can climb out of a hole or partial floor collapse.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Lightbulb

To assist an entry team in searching large, open rooms...One person can maintain contact with the wall and the other can spread out to extend your search area. Keep tension on the webbing between you and your partner.

Also, put a loop (figure 8 works well) in each end of a 10 foot or so section...takes just a second to put a handcuff knot in it to drag out a victim if necessary, and you have two loops to hold on to, depending on what method you are using to get them out.

You mentioned the rescue harness...that's a nifty one but unless you know how to do one that I haven't seen before, it's only really safe to use for rappelling. When you get into climbing/rapelling webbing can be used to rig up all kinds of neat things. Even good for patient packaging if you don't have spider straps.

A million uses...even better than zip ties and duct tape if you know your knots.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 12-17-2004 at 09:58 PM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

I carry about a 12 foot section with the ends tied in a water knot and a caribener attached to it. Along with the hose trick to hold it, I have used it to tie a hose line off to a ladder. I have also used it to tie me into a ladder if I am going to be working on one for a while. I use it in vehicle extrications by looping it on a car door when it is being removed to control its path from a safer distance and I have used it to hold a dead body up and out of my way while I freed the victims entangled feet.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

My buddy uses about 30ft of webbing to secure people to a stokes basket, instead of using the stokes straps.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Thread Information