Thread: Just curious

Forum Member

Default Just curious

Hey guys. I'm just a lil' curious as to what my chances are of landing a job in California after I leave the military...

I currently have:
    First Responder/CPR
    ARFF
    FF 1 and 2
    Rescue Tech
    HazMat Ops 2
    ARFF Driver/Operator.

By the time I leave I should have EMT-I, HazMat tech, Pumper/Tender Driver/Operator and most of the 1's done.

Any help is appreciated, thanks. ;-)

MembersZone Subscriber

im in the same boat as u man, check out my post from a few days ago, got some good info from everybody.

Permanently Removed

Default Hey...

In Calif, the federal or the CSFM certs are not really the
    key to a job. Here are some of the factors to consider-

-CA FDs mainly want Paramedics, straight up.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks fellas, appreciate it.

Yea, I knew that paramedic thingy was gonna come into the fray somehow... =-)

I guess it's time to start pumpin' people full of drugs, huh?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not ready to have you jump on the paramedic band wagon. I disagree with the statement that all California departments want paramedics. I will tell you that while being a paramedic is a definite advantage, I would encourage you to put yourself through a state certified fire academy at a junior college.

Many of the paramedic openings REQUIRE a fire academy just to take the entry-level exam. I encounter countless numbers of candidates who heard that they should become paramedics and are dumbfounded when they do not meet the minimum requirements to even apply.

When these paramedics do get hired the attrition rate is very high as they are throwing ladders and pulling hose for the first time in their life.

Not to mention getting a paramedic license is a difficult thing in itseld and there is no guarantee you will make it through school and your internship (particularly if you only want to be a medic so you can land a firefighter job).

Put yourself through a basic fire academy and become a reserve firefighter to maintain your basic skills. Most importantly, learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview. With a military background and a fire academy coupled with strong reserve experience and the ability to take a fire department interview I expect you will be able to land a job on your target fire department.

I work for a major southern California fire department. We just hired an academy with 28 recruits (only 21 graduated). Of the original 28 only 4 were paramedics.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterview.com

Forum Member

Check L.A. I heard they are giving a test soon. Make sure you have your discharge form with you for extra points. Good luck. check lafd.org there is a link in the other post tittled "the time draws near"
    Last edited by chick813; 12-28-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Thread Information