MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Angry Maryland suburb fire

More firefighter arson......Unfortunately

LA PLATA, Md. (AP) -- Three more people, including a volunteer firefighter, were arrested Saturday in connection with the largest residential arson in Maryland history, a collection of blazes that caused $10 million in damage to houses in an upscale development near a nature preserve.

The three men were arrested early Saturday, federal and local officials said. They would not immediately discuss a possible motive.

The U.S. attorney's office in Baltimore identified the men as Patrick Stephen Walsh, 20, of Fort Washington; Jeremy Daniel Parady, 20, of Accokeek; and Michael McIntosh Everhart, 20, of Waldorf. In a recorded message, a spokeswoman for the office said the men had been charged with arson.

The three suspects were to appear Monday before a U.S. magistrate judge in federal court in Greenbelt, the Charles County sheriff's office said.

Wayne Jordan, president of the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department, said the arrested firefighter was a probationary member of the department, which helped fight the Dec. 6 fires.

Jordan declined to name the firefighter, who has been suspended, and he wouldn't confirm whether the man responded to the fire in the upscale residential neighborhood that was under construction in Charles County.

Jeremy Parady was listed on the Web site for the fire department as a ``riding member.'' The chief of the department, Jeff Cox, declined to comment Saturday. The department has about 50 active members.

Inside the one-story brick firehouse, Jordan, Cox and other members of the department huddled Saturday in the chief's office as they put together a statement. In a back room, four young volunteers lounged on couches, watching a movie on a big-screen TV. Three fire trucks and two ambulances were parked in the closed garage.

Few details were known about the other suspects Saturday.

``We're 100 percent sure that he is innocent,'' said a man who would only identify himself as Walsh's father when reached at his home in Fort Washington.

A former neighbor of Everhart's said the family had lived in a small Waldorf subdivision until about a year ago. Scott Ackerman said he believed the family moved to the same neighborhood where another man charged Thursday with arson, Aaron L. Speed, lived.

Ackerman said Everhart spent a lot of time working with friends on a car outside his house. ``He's just a typical young kid, playing music and working on the car,'' he said.

On Friday, a federal magistrate ordered the U.S. Marshals Service to continue to detain Speed, 21, who worked for Security Services of America, until a hearing Tuesday. Speed has also been charged with arson.

The security guard said he was upset his employer did not show enough sympathy after his infant son died this year, according to court documents.

Speed was hired to protect the Hunters Brooke development in suburban Washington, where a string of fires destroyed 10 houses and damaged 16 others. No one was hurt in the fires; many of the houses were under construction.

Speed told authorities ``that he was present at the location, along with others with whom he was acquainted, while the fires were being lit,'' according to an affidavit.

``Speed claimed that he knew of the plan by others known to him to set a fire at the location,'' the affidavit continued. ``He also asserted that he told others how to gain access to the site.''

Speed made the statements after failing a polygraph test Thursday. Earlier in the day, Speed told WUSA-TV in Washington that police suspected the wrong man: ``Everything that I'm doing, I'm doing willingly to prove to them that I am innocent.''

The scale of the arson -- the fires broke out almost simultaneously over a 10-acre site -- led investigators to believe that more than one person may have been responsible. Authorities believe the fires were set using an accelerant and a propane torch.

Police said there was no evidence to support an early theory that the fires were set by environmental extremists; some environmental groups had complained the houses threatened a nearby bog.

Speed, who grew up in Waldorf, told police he left his security job from August to October because of SSA's ``indifference to the death of his infant son,'' according to the court papers.

When asked by investigators who might have started the fire, Speed said: ``Someone who works at the site and recently experienced a great loss.''

The company has said only that it's cooperating with authorities.

Speed told investigators that his son died in April, when he was about two and a half months old.

When this story first broke, I was glad to see it wasn't another firefighter....Turns out there was one involved after all..
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Not again! Just remember, innocent until proven guilty! Not that I want to take up for this guy if he did it, let's just hope that he didn't.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Patrick Stephen Walsh, 20, of Fort Washington; Jeremy Daniel Parady, 20, of Accokeek; and Michael McIntosh Everhart, 20,
    the arrested firefighter was a probationary member of the department, which helped fight the Dec. 6 fires
    Speed, 21, who worked for Security Services of America,
    The security guard said he was upset his employer
    Replace the names, its all the same over and over.

I wonder if GW has room in that book "The volunteer firefighter greatest enemy: The volunteer firefighter."
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Yeah, we had the Texas Forestry Service just recently come do a ground cover class, and the guy said that most brush fires that were arson, were started by firefighters...

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well.............

My question is "If this person had not joined the VFD, would he still have been involved in this?" In this case, that's a possibility. None of the Others were involved with a VFD, to the best of my knowledge. They did, however, seem to be friends for some time prior to this incident. And, as well, friends for some time prior to the one joining the VFD. As to "Firefighter", my understanding is that he is/was a probie, with only a couple of months on. We'll have to wait to see how this sorts out, and that will take a while.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry It gets even better. . .

The last report I read suggested that it might also be a "hate crime." According to the report, minority homeowners were moving into the subdivision which is located in a predominantly "white" area.

If true, I think we've identified one of the few things lower than a firefighter arsonist.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Default Your right rich......

Race Explored as Possible Motive in Maryland Arson
    Investigators Also Look at Possibility of Revenge
    By STEPHEN MANNING, AP

Indian Head, Md. (Dec. 19) - Racial animosity and revenge are among the possible motives in the fires that caused $10 million in damage in Maryland's largest residential arson case, a spokesman for federal investigators said Sunday.

Four men have been charged with arson at the Hunters Brooke development in Indian Head, where fires on Dec. 6 destroyed 10 houses and damaged 16 others. No one was hurt; many of the homes were still under construction.

A federal law enforcement official speaking on the condition of anonymity said two of the four suspects in custody allegedly made racial statements to investigators during questioning.

The suspects are white, and many of the families moving into the development are black.

The federal official also said that one of the suspects, Jeremy Daniel Parady, was turned down when he tried to get a job with Lennar Corp., the company building the houses about 30 miles south of Washington.

Another suspect, Aaron Speed, told investigators he was upset his employer did not show enough sympathy after his infant son died this year, according to court documents.

Michael Campbell, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said investigators are considering revenge and race, along with several other possible motives.

"Two typical motives for arson are revenge and race," Campbell said. "It's something investigators are looking at."

None of the suspects has been charged with a hate crime.

On Saturday, officials arrested three of the men - Parady, Patrick Stephen Walsh and Michael McIntosh Everhart, all 20. They were to appear Monday before a U.S. magistrate judge in Greenbelt. Speed, 21, who worked for a security company hired to guard the development, is being held until a hearing Tuesday.

Initially, there was speculation the fires were set by environmental extremists because some environmental groups had complained the houses threatened a nearby bog. But no evidence has been found to support that theory, police said.

Attention then turned to whether the arsons could have been racially motivated. While many of the buyers of the half-million-dollar homes were black, Charles County is largely rural and mostly white.

Derrick Potts, who is black and lives with his girlfriend and children in the only occupied house in the section of Hunters Brooke that burned, said he doubts race was the prime motive.

His family has been warmly received by the Indian Head community following the fires, and Potts has not sensed any racial animosity. "I've never looked at this area as having racial problems," he said.

Potts' home suffered little damage and the family was able to return home last week.

Another homeowner, Jacque Hightower, said he has never seen any open racial hostility in the fast-growing region south of Washington.

"Charles County is one of the only places in the (Washington) D.C. metro area that seemed friendly to us," he said.

Several shoppers at a grocery store in Accokeek, just north of Indian Head, also said there was little racial tension in the area.

But Janaire Anderson, of Clinton, said that doesn't mean it wasn't a motive in the fires. "I think race is a factor in everything we do," she said.

Parady was a "riding member" with the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department, which meant he could ride with fire crews but not actively engage in firefighting, Fire Department President Wayne Jordan told The Washington Post.

Jordan said Parady was not on duty the morning of the arsons and was not involved in responding to the fires. Mary Black, Parady's fiancee, told the Post that Parady was home with her the morning the fires were set.

Speed also apparently had ambitions to become a firefighter. He expressed interest in joining two local volunteer departments about two months ago, but never followed up, members said.

AP writer Foster Klug in Baltimore contributed to this story.

12/19/04 14:09 EST
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default Re: It gets even better. . .

Originally posted by ullrichk
    The last report I read suggested that it might also be a "hate crime." According to the report, minority homeowners were moving into the subdivision which is located in a predominantly "white" area.

If true, I think we've identified one of the few things lower than a firefighter arsonist.
    Yep, the racist BS that Prince George's County went through, 20-30 years ago has moved south witht he growth of the suburbs to Charles County. It is truely disgusting that some one born in the 1980's could feel the way these little punks appear to feel.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information