Forum Member

Thumbs up Ice rescue, Southborough

Nice job, Brothers!

Iditawrong: Dog gets stuck after scampering across very thin ice
    By Mary Kate Dubuss / News Staff Writer
    Monday, December 20, 2004

SOUTHBOROUGH -- The fire department had another first for its hovercraft yesterday when firefighters were dispatched to the Sudbury Reservoir to rescue a dog trapped on a section of ice.

Virgil was wandering off his leash on a frozen part of the reservoir alongside 9-11 Field near Acre Bridge Road when he chased after something, according to his dog walker.

Paying no heed to the conditions, the 40-pound husky continued straight onto the ice and got trapped on a section that broke away, unable to swim back to shore, said the dog walker, who would not give her name.

After the dog walker called 911, five firefighters, leaving their vehicles parked off Acre Bridge Road, trekked a mile through through the woods to the reservoir. "The (dog walker) met us at the field and led (us) to the water's edge," said fire Lt. Victor Robidoux.

Once the hovercraft was put to work, breaking a path in the frozen ice with air pressure, "it was not difficult getting the dog in" the vehicle, Robidoux said. Virgil's good behavior made the job easier.

"We thought the noise (from the hovercraft) would be too much, but the dog was fine," he said.

Officially, the Acre Bridge Road area is not an off-leash site, but many dog owners let their pets run there, he said.

The fire department had not needed to rescue any stranded animals until yesterday when members brought out the hovercraft, equipment the department said they do not use very often even though almost a quarter of the town is water.

"We utilized it two times last year. One person was using the ice as a shortcut and the other was cross-country skiing on the ice," Robidoux said.

"Despite the water (in Southborough) we use it as often as duty calls," Robidoux said. "It is principally for ice and water rescue....It can cut through ice, snow and water. It is a very versatile piece of equipment."

Southborough received a $25,000 state grant to purchase the hovercraft as a large proportion of the town is Massachusetts Water Resources Authority water.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Awwwww.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good work brothers!

My department is lucky enough to have two hovercraft that were donated by one of our residents. Nothing's better for ice rescues.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We have been looking into getting a hovercraft, can anyone give me some links to follow, or specs on existing craft in use?
    Thanks
    Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave404
    We have been looking into getting a hovercraft, can anyone give me some links to follow, or specs on existing craft in use?
    Thanks
    Dave
    One of ours is a Scat hovercraft: http://www.scat.com.sg/rescuenfire.html

The other is a Hoverguard: http://www.hovertechnics.com/Rescue/Hoverguard600.html

Edit: I would recommend Hoverguard over Scat. We've had to replace the hull on the Scat and it was very expensive and took forever to get here from Singapore. Hoverguard is located in SW Michigan.
    Last edited by WTFD10; 12-20-2004 at 05:27 PM.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Sadly, NM, some fire chief somewhere just saw the pic you posted and is thinking, "I bet there's some homeland security money for that out there..."
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    Sadly, NM, some fire chief somewhere just saw the pic you posted and is thinking, "I bet there's some homeland security money for that out there..."
    And the truely sad part is, he's probably right!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

IACOJ BOD

But where to mount the 1 million candlepower wig wag zapper lights Dal?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice dog, good show guys/gals!
    "I am permaprobie, and I approve this message."

Forum Member

Anybody thinking of buying a hovercraft, please do a lot of research before purchasing. There are alot of issues to look at, such as horsepower vs weight, etc. They are a little tricky to operate, think more of flying a helocoptor than operating a boat. I recomend reading some of the posts on "hoverlovers' forum. I think it is a yahoo forum. Do a google search for hoverlovers and it should pop up. A lot of these people build hovercraft (some for a living) and can offer some excellant advice. Feel free to e-mail me at carl@svfa.org for some of my thoughts. They are slick for ice rescue.

Thread Information