Forum Member

Default Little boy lost ...

Yesterday afternoon 9 year old Logan Mitcheltree of South Williamsport, Pa. got up from watching TV and left the room. Some time later his mother went looking for him and could find him nowhere in the house.
    Things like this unfortunately happen every day, but what makes this case so special is that Logan is autistic and mute.

They do not believe that he was abducted, therefore a massive search was started in the wooded area surrounding his home with volunteers from Fire, Search and Rescue, K-9 search teams and members of the Pa. National Guard. The search was called off as night fell and was resumed today.

Today's search has turned up nothing, and again was called off at dark.

These types of situations are difficult under the best of conditions, but when you are looking for a child with any kind of handicap it tears your gutts out. Add the fact that last night it got down to 6 degrees below zero, with wind chill around -16, and hope has faded fast.

In many rural areas the only resource available to conduct such searches are the Volunteer Fire Departments. I have been involved in a number of these searches over the years and, unfortunately they often turn out bad.

-bob-

MembersZone Subscriber

How terribly sad. I hope, by some miracle, this little guy is found alive. It is so hard to predict what an autistic child will do in a situation such as this. My thoughts are with his mom, because parenting a severely autistic child requires constant attention and is exhausting for the families. As a special education teacher, I've seen what these people go through, and it can be really heartbreaking. Prayers for everyone involved.

Brenda

Forum Member

Actually he went missing on Saturday. I live about 50 miles north east of there, they haven't activated any of the SAR teams up here yet. It's a terrible thing b/c it's been so cold here, it was -4 last evening, and at the moment it's -2. I've been listening to it on the Lycoming County fire channels, pretty expansive search. There are many fire departments in the area are trained and specialize in certain types of ground SAR. The Pa DCNR trained members from most Rural departments in PA. HASTY Teams they are called, they specialize in grid searches, high angle and overhead rescue, etc. Sullivan County, where I live, borders Lycoming on the North; we have 5 stations that have apparatus specifically for ground SAR; and do at least 1 search each month, some times more with hunting season and vactioners in the state parks and forests. 90% of the searches are successful. The only fatality I remember were people that fell off cliffs or died of severe GSW's in wilderness conditions... anyhoo.

WNEP 16:

Emergency crews and volunteers searched for their third day, desperately looking for Logan Mitcheltree, a nine year old boy, in Lycoming County. Only trained search crews were allowed to continue on into the night because of the danger involved.

The autistic boy, who cannot speak, disappeared from his home on Main Street in South Williamsport Saturday afternoon. An area along route 15 was heavily searched by more than a thousand volunteers; people on foot, all terrain vehicles, some using search dogs, others even looking from the air.

A state police helicopter flew over the Mitcheltree home where Logan lives with his four sisters and mother. Investigators said the boy was watching television with his younger sister Saturday around 4:00 p.m. Logan got up and left. A half hour later, his mother was frantically searching, then called 911. At the South Williamsport Fire Department, hundreds of volunteers showed up to help find the missing boy. Searchers arrived from across the state.

Sean Klug is 22 years old and with the Civil Air Patrol in Lancaster. "I love it. I live for it, helping other people. We do what we can, it's what we do," said Klug.

While Klug and others took a break to get a warm drink and a bite to eat before they headed out for the day, others checked back into the command post. Some rest and eat. Others were so drained from the frigid temperatures, they slept while they could.

Park Ranger Jeff Raisch said more than 1,000 people have checked in since Saturday's disappearance. "I'd say the atmosphere is very positive. There's always a chance. We're trying to explore every possibility, every phone call, every last detail out and the support from the area has just been overwhelming," Raisch said.

Investigators said Logan's family has been out every day since he disappeared calling and searching for him. There's community meeting Monday at the South Williamsport Area High School at 7:00 p.m. Emergency officials will update the searchers about their efforts since Saturday.

Last edited by blueeighty88; 12-20-2004 at 11:10 PM.

Forum Member

State Police, Montoursville, Pa report the body of a boy, identified as Logan Mitcheltree, was found near his home by officials from the Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry Search & Rescue Team. Radio traffic on 155.850 (State Police) & 151.295 (Forestry) confirm this.

WNEP TV 16:
    The body of a young boy was found in Lycoming County just after 8:00 Tuesday morning.

According to the Bureau of Forestry, officials believe the body to be that of nine year old Logan Mitcheltree. He has been the focus of a extensive search effort since he disappeared from his South Williamsport home Saturday afternoon.

The body was found in state game lands, about two miles from Route 554. State and local police are on the scene. South Williamsport police said the incident does not appear to be suspicious at this time.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is truly tragic, especially at this time of year. I can't imagine the pain and suffering his family must be going through, but our thoughts will be with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

- Blue, When I saw your reply I was hoping to read that the little man was found and he was OK. Very sad, RIP little man!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

I am in Jersey Shore PA, about 10 miles away from South Williamsport. I was not able to assist in the search however this incident upsets me. The only good thing about finding his body is that now the family and friends can begin healing and recovery. My thoughts go out to those affected by this young childs death.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had hoped, too, that this would turn out okay, but with the cold temperatures, he probably didn't have much of a chance. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and everyone involved. The loss of a child is always so heartbreaking. It had to have been really hard on the searchers who found him, too.

Brenda

Forum Member

We learned that they found Logan's body when a news flash scrolled across the bottom of the station's computer screen. One of the guys switched on the TV in the crew room and we all watched the news report.

A lot of people have been effected by this loss.

All of you guys out there with kids need the go home after your shift or job and give them all a big hug.

-bob-

Forum Member

Sad........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Logan. May he rest in eternal peace.

Thread Information