Thread: Live Broadcast

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Live Broadcast

Anyone watch Ron's live webcast the other night? I thought this was excellent and I hope they keep doing them. It was a very good update on airbags, things in the past and things to come. I have a couple of questions that I didn't get a chance to ask Ron if you'd be so kind;

Has there ever been a airbag deployment after the battery cable has been cut?

You talked about drain time on capacitors, I think the longest you said was up to 5 minutes, im just curious do engineers give you these times or have you seen them go off within this time frame?

And this (above) is after the cable has been disconnected correct?

You do a excellent job and keep up the good work. I hope there will be more of the webcast in the future.

J.Burns
    Rescue Training Officer
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

My Alaskan Brother,
    I had the privilege of attending Chief Moore’s Advanced Auto Extrication Class in Fairbanks Alaska back in 2002 (?) and learned lots. I don't mean to speak on his behalf but perhaps I can hold the fort until he responds.
    Yes, the Airbag(as many as 12 in 16 different locations, and at different speeds) can deploy after the battery cables are "double cut". The time averages from 2-5 minutes and can last up to 10 minutes - after the cuts are made.
    That's all I can add... yes I watched the simulcast as well and loved it. It's a bit scary how much things have changed since 2002!
    Keep up the great work Chief!
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question HELP! I can't find Ron's latest webcast archive!!!

I watched the webcast too and I learned so much from his teaching. I watched it a second time (somehow I found it a few days later) and I wanted to use it for a training session for our V-ex crew. This time I am unable to locate it on here. Does anyone happen to know where I might locate it, or are the webcasts deleted after a few days?
    Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.firehouse.com/live

Merry chrismas and a happy new year
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Wildman

Yo ho ho Merry Christmas all, Wildone if you send me you email I will give you a little info on the conference we will be hosting in Sep. May have a competition, lots of fun.
    Oh by the way the question was has, not can.
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Jorg!!!! I appreciate the help. Merry Christmas to you and all your gang over there, and the best of the new year to you as well!!

Patrick

Forum Member

Is it still possible to see an archive of this webcast? I'm trying right now and it don't work
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello!

Is it still possible to see an archive of this webcast?
    Yes it is! I've just tried to use the link above, I clicked on View The Archive Today! and then I used the Launch Presentation Button.
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

Forum Member

Maybe it will work better if I use IE instead of Firefox. I'll give it a try again.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Just watched the archived event. Ron it was a very informative presentation. My question to you is, well, first question was answered previously. 2nd question is do you do many training seminars? If so when and where? I would love to come to one of your classes. Also, I noticed one of your books in the webcast. I didn't get a chance to write down the number for ordering it. Could you help me out with that also? Thanks for the info in advance.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the kind remarks about the live WebCast. There were approximately 900 responders online watching 'live' from around the world and Firehouse.com estimates that the program will be viewed 25-30 times a day in archive.

The next University of Extrication Webcast will be on the topic of "Hybrid Vehicle 2005 Update".

The questions to be answered here are: Has there ever been an airbag deployment after the battery cable has been cut?

My reply: The 6 responders who have been injured by airbags since 1990 have all been working on vehicles with the battery connected. I do not know if there has 'ever' been an airbag deployment without power being connected but airbag manufacturers say that static electricity charges can set the bag off under the right conditions. Teaching point- nothing gets safer until you take away the power.

Question: You talked about drain time on capacitors, I think the longest you said was up to 5 minutes. I'm just curious, do engineers give you these times or have you seen them go off within this time frame?

My reply: Both automakers and airbag manufacturers establish these reported 'drain' times for their products. This information is determined by their engineers, then approved by their legal counsel, then actually reported. My belief is that if an automaker says it's drain time is 5 minutes for example, that would be a maximum time.

Question: And this (above) drain time is after the cable has been disconnected correct?

Reply: Yes. Nothing starts until you take away the power.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information