Default starting from scratch. but very interested

ok well a little background info on myself. im 20 years old and a student at curry college in milton ma. im a double major in biology and environmental science. half way through school i realised that i didnt want to work in the field of my majors when i finished school. i have a friend that goes to school for fire science and he kindof turned me onto the idea of being a fire fighrt. I realized what i really wanted to do was fight fires as a career.

so my intrest is shy high but im getting mixed signals on how i should start persuing this

som say to get my EMT license. then go to paramedics school and work in the field for a year then a fire dept. will pick me up and send me to the academy.

others have said to volunteer and work your way up through the fire house.

i am a junior as school and im really tempted to drop out cause im so eagar to start this but i know i should (and will) finish school.

is there anything i can do while im at school or during my summer break to start? or should i just wait till i graduate. i am so lost on where to begin so ANY and ALL info will be greatly appreciated. thanks you so much

Forum Member

is there anything i can do
    Hooked on Phonics.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Lightbulb dont be stupid

lucas1:

hey bud, im kind of in your situation too. I am a senior at a state university and am going to graduate with a degree in business finance next year. Like I said, I am a senior and dont have too much time left at the university. You say you are a junior, so I suggest that since you are over halfway done with school, just finish! you will regret it in a few years if you drop out. It will be harder and more frustrating to go back to school when you are older. Just graduate and get it overwith while your young. Maybe you can even lighten your load and just get one degree instead of two. You will finish school faster, and it will give you more time (post graduation) to get your certifications. In the meantime, go to a library and start reading up on firefighting and what the job entails.

Anyway...I have been volunteering for almost a year at a department about 10 minutes away from campus. I dont know if you are as lucky as I am to have a dept that close to school, but that is what I suggest you do for experience. I am getting experience and certifications, EMT, 36hr Volunteer Cert while I attend school full time. I dont plan on getting a job that has to do with my major after I graduate, I want to be a firefighter just like you do. Having a degree will look good on a resume for a firefighter job, but will not get you the job. I suggest volunteering while you finish school and then after graduation, get as many certifications you can, EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P, FF1, FF2 through a volunteer dept, they will most likely pay for it!. The medical certifications are just as important as firfighter cerifications so dont overlook those. If you cant volunteer, get your certifications through a local community college or even a fire academy. Volunteer experience looks good when you apply to an academy!

Definitely finish school, then pursue your dream of being a full-time firefighter, you will not regret finishing school. I hope this helps

Good luck fellow student!

later

dougefreshcjfd

thanks for your help

sorry that last one was directed to STM not you douge. thanks for the help. there is actually a fire house right down the street from me. what do i have to do to volunteer? should i just call them and tell them i want to?

Forum Member

ok well a little background info on myself. im 20 years old and a student at curry college in milton ma. im a double major in biology and environmental science. half way through school i realised that i didnt want to work in the field of my majors when i finished school. i have a friend that goes to school for fire science and he kindof turned me onto the idea of being a fire fighrt. I realized what i really wanted to do was fight fires as a career. so my intrest is shy high but im getting mixed signals on how i should start persuing this

som say to get my EMT license. then go to paramedics school and work in the field for a year then a fire dept. will pick me up and send me to the academy.

others have said to volunteer and work your way up through the fire house.

i am a junior as school and im really tempted to drop out cause im so eagar to start this but i know i should (and will) finish school.

is there anything i can do while im at school or during my summer break to start? or should i just wait till i graduate. i am so lost on where to begin so ANY and ALL info will be greatly appreciated. thanks you so much
    sorry that last one was directed to STM not you douge. thanks for the help. there is actually a fire house right down the street from me. what do i have to do to volunteer? should i just call them and tell them i want to?
    Your kidding right?

get your certifications through a local community college
    Not in Mass.

hmmm obviously im not kidding. maybe you could help me out rather than make me more confused

Forum Member

Ok

Learn how to spell---seriously. The fire wont care much, but you wont get to fight that fire when the chief trashes your application cause it looks like cat walked across the keyboard.

Stay in school.

Get your EMT

Take the civil service test

Come to the ephiany that I have, get out of Mass if you want a carrer firefighter job within the next decade.

thank you for the positive response. that was what i was looking for. sorry my spelling is so bad. i could never spell and this is just an online forum, but thank you.

Default yes

lucas1

what you need to do is look up their phone number and give them a call. Tell them that you are interested in firefighting and that you are interested in volunteering. If they accept volunteers, go down and fill out an application, if they tell you to. If they dont accept volunteers, then ask them what they suggest you do or ask where the nearest volunteer station is. Be polite to them and they will probably tell you everything you want to know. If you get an answering machine, leave a message (not too long though) with your number. Good luck!

Doug

Forum Member

You will need to take a First Aid/CPR class before you can take an EMT class. This is no big deal....its a 8 hour class and costs $35-40. Contact your local Red Cross.

FYI Lucas. It is Mass. Law that you must under go a CORI check because you will have the potential for interaction with children,seinors and the mentally handicapped. Most departments will not give a second thought to dumping your application if something comes back.

sorry my spelling is so bad. i could never spell
    Learn....
    I help review/interview incomeing applications/applicants at my department......spelling goes a long long way, take it seriously.

Also FYI I am only 20 myself.

so what if i were to persue this in NH. this is wear my mother lives and where i could possibly be living when im older. does it differ alot from MA?

Forum Member

CORI scare you off?

does it differ alot from MA?
    I am not from NH and can not comment or or offer advice.

dont even know what it is. i was just wondering about NH and MA. i dont know exactly where ill be living in the next couple years

Forum Member

CORI

I have a few friends on departments in NH. They seemed to get on pretty easy/faster. One thing I can tell you is there is a big culture difference.

yeah my mother just moved up here. . .getting used to it though. just bought a snowmobile so that should be fun this winter. where in Ma are you from?

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Ok
    quote:

Learn how to spell---seriously. The fire wont care much, but you wont get to fight that fire when the chief trashes your application cause it looks like cat walked across the keyboard.

Stay in school.

Get your EMT

Take the civil service test

Come to the ephiany that I have, get out of Mass if you want a carrer firefighter job within the next decade. Learn....

I help review/interview incomeing applications/applicants at my department......spelling goes a long long way, take it seriously.
    Wow...that is scary

Take your own advice, Jesse

mispelled words in your last posts...

incoming
    career
    epiphany!

PS: Framingham just hired 6 new firefighters, Braintree is holding an entrance exam, Southborough is looking for a firefighter/paramedic to fill a retirement slot...

once again.. you are wrong!

Lucas1...

If you want to be taken seriously, you do have to improve your grammatical skills. Your initial post did look like it was written by a grade school student and not a junior in college. This is an online forum...read by thousands of people and some of them just happen to be Chief officers and people on personnel boards.

Misspelling a chemical name at a hazmat incident will get someone killed and have drastic consequences

Stay in school and get your degree. Evironmental science is fire related, ala hazmat. Not all fire departments in Massachusetts are civil service, but they still require entrance examinations to get on their hiring lists. The department that hires you will probably send you to the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy for your recruit training or to one of the regional programs that some departments put together based on the Academy's curriculum.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-21-2004 at 11:12 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No I am not wrong, I never said it was impossible to get on.......but you could agree that the job market here is not as prime compared to other states.

Oh yeah, wait I gave someone advice......this must mean I am wrong somehow.

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Learn how to spell---seriously.
    oh yeah? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

this must mean I am wrong somehow
    By looking at your spelling in this thread, yup, you probably are wrong.

I help review/interview incomeing applications/applicants at my department......spelling goes a long long way, take it seriously
    Lucas1, listen to Gonzo's advice. He is a firefighter with many years experience. stm4710 is not.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default vol.

lucas,
    Try and vol. at a fire dept near you. I'm a Fire Chief at a Combination. Dept. in North Carolina and have a large number of college students that Vol. with us. They are a great assest to this dept. and alot end up staying in the area after they finish school to do Firefighting
    Let me know if I can be of any assistance
    Stay Safe

Scottie Harris
    Fire Chief
    Western Wake Fire Rescue
    4021 District Dr.
    Raleigh NC 27607
    919-836-1900

thanks everyone with the positive responses. it is helping more than you know. when i get back to school im gong to call a couple departments and see what i get. although since i play sports i might wait till the summer to do vol. work. but we will see and i will post up my progress. thanks again

Forum Member

The kid wants to be a firefighter, not an English Professor...

BTW, STM, it's incoming, not incomeing. Your not perfect, awe, isn't that precious...?

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Wow...that is scary

Take your own advice, Jesse

mispelled words in your last posts...

incoming
    career
    epiphany!

PS: Framingham just hired 6 new firefighters, Braintree is holding an entrance exam, Southborough is looking for a firefighter/paramedic to fill a retirement slot...

Lucas1...

If you want to be taken seriously, you do have to improve your grammatical skills. Your initial post did look like it was written by a grade school student and not a junior in college. This is an online forum...read by thousands of people and some of them just happen to be Chief officers and people on personnel boards.

Misspelling a chemical name at a hazmat incident will get someone killed and have drastic consequences

Stay in school and get your degree. Evironmental science is fire related, ala hazmat. Not all fire departments in Massachusetts are civil service, but they still require entrance examinations to get on their hiring lists. The department that hires you will probably send you to the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy for your recruit training or to one of the regional programs that some departments put together based on the Academy's curriculum.
    mispelled misspelled

Evironmental Environmental

Glass houses again....

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, methinks your maturity level has hit an all-time low...
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Thread Information