Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: weight vests

Forum Member

Default weight vests

Has anybody used weight vests to train. I am looking at investing in one from weightvest.com just wondering if they are worth buying. Thanks for any insight.

i actualy own the 50pd one from them , not a bad vest good to train with if gonna need it for a agility test , and it can be adjusted in 5 pd incriments to lighten the load .

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it fairly comfortable. Can you actualy run with them and not get sores from it rubbing.

I agree with the previous posts...

If your training for a test that requires teh weight vest then definitely buy one. I have one, and love it. I use it on the stairmaster, for pullups and for dips.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

They are great to train in, the uses for it are endless. You get a laminated page with several exerises you can do. I personally use to run stairs and walk with. I know that alot of guys use it for training during the firefighter combat challenge season.
    You will get sore the first couple of times you use it, your shoulders especially. They sell a little pad that goes between you and the vest, cus sometimes the bouncing tends to hit your chest and gets a little annoying. But me personally its the best investment I have made to train as a firefighter. Hopefully this helped.
    Last edited by nomex0067; 12-21-2004 at 09:53 AM.
    Joe FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I couldn't afford one at the time, but I know they would have helped to improve my time on the CPAT. If you are taking the CPAT or any other test that requires you to wear the weight vest go for it. I would still love to have one to train with, even now that I have gotten the CPAT out of the way.

Question

Why would you want to train in a weighted vest? You don't fight fires or operate on the fire ground wearing one of these??

Why not train in the proper PPE and get use to the real thing so when you do have an event that requires you to be in full PPE you know what it feels like and also will know your limitations!!

Just a thought about real time training, that is real, and not using things that you will never use on the fireground.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Why would you want to train in a weighted vest? You don't fight fires or operate on the fire ground wearing one of these??

Why not train in the proper PPE and get use to the real thing so when you do have an event that requires you to be in full PPE you know what it feels like and also will know your limitations!!

Just a thought about real time training, that is real, and not using things that you will never use on the fireground.

I will tell you why, I was doing what you said. I would get on the thread mill to run(combat challenge training)with all of my PPE, it hurts the back alot worse. You compress your disk alot more from all the bouncing since you cant really secure your SCBA really tight, it tends to get loose from the running and bending. Now when you wear the vest you can secure it tight to your body with no movement. As for it not being the real thing, put on the vest with what ever weight you want and its like wearing PPE(well weight wise anyways), I can tell you from experience that my body recuperates(i think thats how you spell it) alot faster on the fire grounds. Its excellent for running stairs....

Ps my trainig was for the combat challenge by the way, thats why i was running on the thread mill, to cold outside.
    Last edited by nomex0067; 12-21-2004 at 01:29 PM.
    Joe FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

CaptOldtimer
    I could not see myself running 3 miles in my ppe, for one you would get way to hot and it would rub the skin right off of you. I am suiting up once a weeke and doing CPAT events in all my gear but for the rest of the week it would be nice to simulate the weight while wearing a t-shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is also no need to dehydrate yourself completely every time you want to work out with a little extra weight.

Question

Why would you want to run 3 miles with anything on besides, shorts and a tee shirt? Why run anyway and do damage to the knees and ankles!

We do not run on the fire ground. We fight fires and do not run. We take PT daily on duty and it is on the proper weight machines and exercise equipment. We, repeat, Do Not Run while on duty. If you want to or have that need to run, then, you must do it on your own. If by chance you want to do the firefighter challenge, then you can, provided that you train for this off duty. Our separtment does not endorse this. It is not part of the job qulifications. The CPAT is ok for some departments, but until it becomes a standard that is mandatory, it isn't done. Our members are in good physical shape. We have had exercise equipment and free weights for years in the houses.

If we wanted track stars, then we would be in a difference business.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I run to stay in shape. I suppose I could swim all the time but the way my work schedule is it doesnt allow me to have time to go for a swim. I am not currently a full time firefighter, I am training for my CPAT. We do have to achieve a min standard for our volunteer dept but I already surpass that. I realize that you do not run on the fire ground but this is just a way to simulate wearing ppe. So when I take the CPAT I will be used to the 50 pound weight vest they strap on to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was very close to buying one from weightvest.com the only thing that kept me from buying it was the price. then i decided to check out ebay, they have a couple from weightvest but then i found one that was like the one cpat uses, not the same but it was 99.00 bucks, got it a week ago and love it, very comfortable for being a 50 lbs sack

Forum Member

never even thought of ebay, thanks for the idea. I would like to buy one but the 300 canadian seems a little high.

Forum Member

Default Training

You don’t want any surprises during the physical agility. You need to have practiced hands on with every segment of the agility. Too many candidates think they are in great shape. One who did not take advantage of the practice session told me, “Hey, that 75 pound hose pack was heavy. Humping that hose bundle up the tower, hosting and other manipulative skills, then back down the tower steps made my lungs burn (they were still burning days later) and caused the loss of valuable seconds.”The best way to train for this event is to up the cardio by going up and down bleachers with a backpack with weights or a weighted vest from http://www.weightvest.com

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I first found out about weight vest from Captbobs book. I advise people looking into a firefighter career to purchase his gold package it is the most informative material I have found so far. The weight vest part is just one of the many good things in the book.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Why run anyway and do damage to the knees and ankles!
    This is the sports medicine equivalent to an old wives tale. Yes, running is a high impact activity, but it does not inherently damage your joints. If your knees and ankles hurt from running, it is because one or more of these:

1. You've done too much too fast.
    2. You did not properly warm up and cool down.
    3. You have not spent enough time properly stretching.
    4. You are not strengthening your legs with resistance training, which caused a muscle imbalance, which often presents as joint pain.
    5. You have a previous injury which has not been properly treating and rehabilitated.

You can get in great shape without running, but running is by far the most effective exercise to increase cardiovascular endurance. It is even more effective when speed, distance, and elevation are varied frequently. Throw in some interval training and your fireground performance will increase tremendously.

As far as running with the vest, I would hesitate to jump right in. If you run frequently and are a strong runner and have spent time walking with the vest, I would consider it. However, don't get too fast or too far at the beginning, or you'll pay for it. Start out small and work your way up. In the end, I believe that using the weight vest while running or walking stairs is the most effective cardio use for the vest.

There is a website produced by a Colorado Springs firefighter who is the female world record holder in the combat challenge that has a lot of training and nutrition tips and some stuff on using a weight vest. It is worth checking out. www.firejock.com

Eric

have you looked at the "x-vest"? I bought one a year ago. They are expensive ,but well worth it i believe. They make a firefighter training vest. you can increase the weights in 1lb incraments up to 88lbs. www.thexvest.com

Thread Information