View Poll Results: Should MD Reinstate the IV Tech Level?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes great Idea.

6 66.67%
  • Maybe, but with strict direction.

3 33.33%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Reinstating IV Tech in MD

I am hearing rumors that MD is looking at reinstating the IV Tech level again. What is your opinion and comments?
    Last edited by ke4pnj; 12-21-2004 at 02:55 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Good Question............

There is currently a move to establish a national standard which does not include I V Techs. I'll get back here later today with info on where you can look at this. The Maryland State Firemen's Association is strongly opposing any changes. The Maryland Fire Chiefs Assn is too. I think almost all County Associations are opposed to the new changes too.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Each jurisdiction has different levels of care providers. EMTs in Maryland currently cannot perform IV skills, but in certain counties they will implement it in july 2005, one I can think of is Montgomery County , MD, also the ability to use glucometers and combitubes insertion will become standard emt-B skills by 2007. I am aware that the national scope of practice model does not include it yet.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs down And Now................

There seems to be a rapidly growing opposition to the "Scope of Practice" thing in Maryland. Personally, I have no use for it, and I think each State should do whatever works for that area. But then, I also think EMT-A was good enough, except it was too many hours. The whole thing about cramming more EMS training down everyone's throat is motivated by one thing. GREED. More Training is not about helping people, it's about lining the pockets of those who run the high priced training systems.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

St. Mary's county currently has an IVT program in place. I's been in place longer than I've been an EMS volunteer (1997). It's provided by ALS. I've been an EMT-IVT for 3 years, EMT for 7.

I dont know what Anne Arundel is planning, but they have started trainning for "select few" on IV's as well as ACLS classes...
    Rescue Squad 12 to FireAlarm!!.....Squad 12?.....Give Me The 3 Alram!!!!!!

Default IV TECH

IV tech has been in Maryland since the early 1970s. It is currently a local jurisdictional option under MIEMSS regulations. Baltimore County, Harford and Carroll all have active IVT programs with a training component and ongoing QA measures. There is nothing to debate just a matter of other jurisdictions getting on board. One could argue the efficacy and patient outcomes with just IVTs? However it is certainly an effective adjunct to providing patient care on a 1/1 ALS unit where it has been shown to work well over the past 35 years. IV fluid therapy through prehospital research has never shown significant patient changes in outcomes as a stand alone treatment modality but it is certainly a positive thing to have others available to gain peripheral access while the EMT-I or P is performing a comprehensive patient assessment or performing other ALS skills. Leave the MSFA out of this one as they have officers and active committee personnel in all of the counties utilizing this level of EMT-B with an enhancement.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can see the use in a transport field for monitoring ivs in transit but in the EMS field? Its a waste someones money to train them if they have limited other EMS skills...CoDean

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Well.........

Originally posted by shaun191
    I dont know what Anne Arundel is planning, but they have started trainning for "select few" on IV's as well as ACLS classes...
    Probably the drivers for the "One and One" program.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

It's not a waste of money when someone can establish IV access while I am securing the airway. Some jurisdictions don't send 2 Paramedics on ALS calls.

Thread Information