MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Many Thousands Killed

Over 10,000 people (so far) have been killed following an Earthquake off the coast of Indonesia. The quake, the most severe in 40 years caused a massive Tsunami (Tidal Wave) that crossed 1000's of miles wreaking death and havoc in India, Indonesia & Malaysia Thailand and the maldives were also affected.

There are also fears for the thousands of Foreign Tourists taking Christmas Holidays in places such as the maldives & Thailand; Already some British are reported among those missing.

Link to News Story
    Last edited by SteveDude; 12-26-2004 at 04:43 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Default Earthquake

SteveyDude--Told ya!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't I know already!!!!

Indo where???
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

The death toll as at 09:00 (GMT) This morning is now 22,000 Among the tourists confirmed killed are 4 UK and 3 US Citizens

Updated news (from US site)
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Boss,
    Are LFB or any other UK Brigades getting together their UKSART guys and sending them over??

With so many areas affected maybe different brigades will send UKSART teams to different regions.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's unlikely Bruv, as although the 'cause' was an eartquake the main 'symptom' seems to be the Tidal wave.

I think it is mainly recovery and inevitably plenty of & $$$ in aid that is required. From what I have seen there isn't a lot of Urban Search & Rescue to be done.

They are already warning on the news here that the number of Brits (and therefore other Foreign nationals) killed is going to increase by a significant amount. There are apparently 10,000 British Holidaymakers in the area this Christmas according to the british Foreign office.

Already heard of someone in LFB who's Father was in Phuket and hasn't been heard from.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 12-27-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default There are some more updates over here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...805#post474805

I started the thread about 3 hrs before you did Steve, but I guess I should have put it in firefighting instead of off duty, as your thread has gotten a lot more views than mine.

My brother-in-law has an older brother and his Thai wife who live on Phuket. I'm really worried aobut them. I pray they are alive. I'll phone my sister later to see if they've heard anything yet.

At least one Canadian is confirmed dead. I fear you are right though, there will undoubtedly be more.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Sheri,
    I pray that your Brother in laws brother and his wife are safe. I hope things turn out ok for you and your family.

Michael

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks, Michael. I heard on the news about an Edmonton man who survived the tidal wave on Phuket by clinging for 10 hours to a dead fisherman who was wearing a lifejacket. God, I hope they are alive.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow...
    Sorry to hear that Sheri, I hope the news is good. I fear with 10,000 Brits there there is an equal amount from all of our Countries, including the UK, US, Canada and probably even more from Australia and NZ becuase they are nearer...

Lets hope the news for our Countrymen isn't as bad as it is for the poor people who live in those places.

The UK Foreign office has said that more people have called the helpline than did after 9/11...that is saying something because there are many thousands of Brits living in NYC.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 12-27-2004 at 12:17 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't I know already!!!!

Indo where???
    Some of have actually heard of the Southwest Pacific. A few of us even know that prior to 1942, many of those nations were English, Dutch, and French colonies and ties to the region are still strong.

I don't think you're seeing much discussion because it is just so hard for us to comprehend a disaster of this scope.

RspctFrmCalgary and all the others that have family and friends missing, I pray everyone is located safe and sound.

Forum Member

Default Tidal wave

Steve,I think George Wendt has found a World Atlas. Just a little "in" joke--or sick fire brigade humour.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Originally posted by SteveDude
    Wow...
    Sorry to hear that Sheri, I hope the news is good. I fear with 10,000 Brits there there is an equal amount from all of our Countries, including the UK, US, Canada and probably even more from Australia and NZ becuase they are nearer...

Lets hope the news for our Countrymen isn't as bad as it is for the poor people who live in those places.

The UK Foreign office has said that more people have called the helpline than did after 9/11...that is saying something because there are many thousands of Brits living in NYC.
    Watch and see this number pass 100,000..horrible!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information