MembersZone Subscriber

Default End of year run numbers

I know im a bit early with this, but with only a week left to go in the year, where are you guys going to finish the year on number of calls. we will be right around 400.

Forum Member

Between Jan 1 and Dec 1 of this year we've had 336 calls. I'm not sure how we are doing for this month but there was a gap from Dec 18 to Dec 24 where we didn't run a single call. May be a slow month. When I get the total for the month and year I'll post it with all the others at- http://www.geocities.com/stgabrielfiredept/calls .
    We finished 2003 with a total of 382 calls.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Average Year.......................

I'll get back with the exact number on Jan. 1, 05, but for now it looks like the Station Total will be about 7,315.

Engine........ 1,025
    Heavy Rescue.. 1,000
    Tower Ladder.. 140
    Brush Unit.... 50
    BLS Ambulance. 1,850
    ALS Ambulance. 3,250
    Total......... 7,315

Several things. The Tower Ladder was out of service for 8 months with mechanical problems. With wetter than normal weather in the Mid -Atlantic area, runs for the Brush Unit are down a lot, and the station total is down from the Late 90s-Early 2000s period when we were close to 10,000 runs per year. This is largely due to dispatch changes that now has Alarm Bells handled by a single Engine, where we used to have 2 Engines and a Truck or Squad for Automatic Alarms. Additionally, there has been more apparatus placed in service in our end of the County, 2 Tower Ladders and 2 Heavy Rescues, that have cut our runs as well. On the other hand, more dispatch changes have been made to boost response on actual Fires, so we may pick up a bit again. We'll have to wait and see what '05 brings. (Hope it goes up, getting boring around here now. )
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, now hold on a second. How do you guys count up runs?

Cellblock and Ft seem to count them as we do.

An incident counts as one run no matter who or what shows up. We usualy respond with a full department responce to almost everything, but we count it as a single run no matter if it involves all 40+ emergency units county wide.

Hwoods seems to be counting a run for each unit responding, is this even if they are responding to the same incident?

I would like find out which is the proper way to count this, more specificaly what way FEMA/NFPA/AFG grants want you to count it.

We have been putting down on the grant paper work our average number of incidents, IE 75 or what have we that year.

If we counted a run for each responding unit that number would be closer to 750 runs.

That would look nice on a grant application, but is it misleading/in proper?

We also do not count any false alarms or service calls, again we should do this but the district board believes this is also improper to count as a run.

In any case for the county we are probly close to 100 incidents of all kinds for the year.

We normaly call this 100 runs.

Should we be calling it 750+ runs when taking into acount how many emergnecy units responded.

We run a ambulance service seperate from the fire departments, not sure how many incidents they have had this year, they seem to have been buisy.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Sometimes in larger counties such as Prince Georges, they will not ask for a "full station" response to a run, If it is an MVA for example they will send an engine from the department the call is in and then a Rescue from another station with a Rescue, so they spread there equipment out and share amongst each other, hence why the Rescue will roll a certain number of times and why an engine will respond a certain number of times as well... With that being said my department will finish out the year somewhere around 1,725 calls for the year, down a bit from last year but we did not have the bad weather like we had last year.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

SamsonFCDES makes a good point. my department gets about 800 calls a year. but, as SamsonFCDES does, it's all one run, whether the cheif handles it on his own, or we roll all 4 engines, our ladder, snorkel, heavy rescue, and utility vehicle.

howver, we also operate differently than PG county. we get an alarm, we roll everything until told otherwise (most of the time). in PG county (and HWoods correct me if I am wrong), they will get a call for just their truck to respond to a call. or just 1 engine. or an engine from dept A, a tower from dept B, and a rescue from dept C. so they don't have the whole "roll everything we have" to the fire, or rather roll all the units from dept A, but istead only what is called.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RescuHoppy7
    Sometimes in larger counties such as Prince Georges, they will not ask for a "full station" response to a run, If it is an MVA for example they will send an engine from the department the call is in and then a Rescue from another station with a Rescue, so they spread there equipment out and share amongst each other, hence why the Rescue will roll a certain number of times and why an engine will respond a certain number of times as well... With that being said my department will finish out the year somewhere around 1,725 calls for the year, down a bit from last year but we did not have the bad weather like we had last year.
    So are we counting correctly.

MVA for an example.

MVA phoned in, dispatch pages it, it is up to the chief as to what rolls.

Normaly it is an Engine, Rescue, a couple of brush trucks to assist in traffic control, the chief himself in his IC SUV, and a request to the ambulance to respond.

This is counted as a single run the way we are doing it.

Or are we supposed to count 1 for the engine, the rescue, the 2 brush trucks, the chief for 5 runs?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

My enginehouse (engine/medic) will have right around 1800 runs...

Our entire dept. close to 4000 (4 houses)

We are by far the busiest house.

fieldseng2

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

My department will have around 1450 CALLS this year down alittle from last year.
    We count our as dispatched calls no matter how many units pull out of the station.
    This is how many times someone calls for 911. If we counted all the units that responed to calls we would look as if we were never at the station somewere around 4000-6000. Dang we would be in the big leagues now.

Forum Member

County: 151099

My department: 3514

3 stations. 1 with an ALS engine, district chief and marine unit, 1 with an ALS quint, one with an ALS heavy rescue.

2222 EMS (all as ALS response)
    352 Automatic Fire Alarms
    498 Single Unit Responses (invests, elevators, trash/brush fires, medivac LZ, public assist, etc)

262 MVC(MVA)
    133 Structure Fires
    47 Marine Rescues

Average Response Time 4:09

And we count runs here as every 911 call from county dispatch gets a number. One number per incident, not per unit.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave1983; 12-27-2004 at 01:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have not been at work due to an injury fo rthe past few months, but I would guess it would be in the 275,000 range!
    I think that was about the same last year....
    Jason S.
    Local798
    Jason S. - SFFD
    Local 798

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Career Dept. = 6,300
    Volly Dept. = 600
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

about 4 hours ago we responded to call #294. We don't run EMS, they are up around 1420 for the year. We also count them as 1 incident, whether it's full response or a specific truck requested.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

So are we counting correctly.
    For your area you are counting correctly however like someone pointed out, PG County and some other county departments will respond multiple departments to one alarm by intermixing equipment so for example: Department A is dispatched to a strcuture fire, they only have two engines so those two respond and a ladder from Department B respond so it counts as a run for the ladder out of department B.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

Then I guess HWoods never sent more than 1 apparatus to a call at a time.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Department A is dispatched to a strcuture fire, they only have two engines so those two respond and a ladder from Department B respond so it counts as a run for the ladder out of department B.
    Right...and if they call out the ladder, an engine, a squad, and the canteen from department B, then it should still count as ONE run, not four.

Forum Member

Around 320 for the year in East Bend North Carolina

Forum Member

Don't have a breakdown, but with 4 days left in the year we have pulled just under 6,500 incident numbers for our station. This includes everything from fire, rescue, BLS, ALS, and transport assignments.

-bob-

MembersZone Subscriber

Post FD call total

We will be right at 1500 calls by the end of the year.
    Williamson County Fire/REscue
    Williamson County, TN

Forum Member

Default Smokin over here ! (LOL)

busiest year ever at well over 600 fire & EMS runs ..............we also only count one run no matter how many units do or do not leave the station .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

It was very wet this year so our fire runs were significantly lower. We don't do EMS.
    I have yet to crunch the numbers but I'll bet I can do it in about 5 minutes. We don't get many runs. Last year was 45 overall.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We count each incident as a run, regardless of how many apparatus responded. We also count false alarms, standbys, etc., as runs...basically anytime we are paged out counts as 1 run. We broke 300 for the first time ever this year...we have been turning in around 270-280 for the last several years, but creeping up steadily. Last call was I think around 314, with just a few days left to go in '04. I suppose we'll end up around 320 or so.

Big difference from when I first started 16 years ago. Back then 60-70 calls for the year was the norm. Of course, that was before we started doing medical...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default '04 runs

Be 6000-7000 for the dept. (run #s, regardless how many units each run) out of 6 stations, 7 companies.

My rig will be around 2000 runs for the year (fire, EMS, BS, BIG BS, etc.).
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

My dept is fully staffed by volunteers. we count a call everytime the alarm goes in (not counting resounds for manpower) so far we have run 561 calls for the year, thats about 70 more calls then last year. we run 2 eng, a heavy res. and a truck out of our house. there are 2 other houses that run eng's and tankers in my dept. we do NO EMS, we are disp. to every mva with inj. or unk inj. our mva's are 51% of our call volume.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Forum Member

Actually I think you are all right. I think all of you agree that each individual piece of equipment keeps a run total. For example I am on E34 in Memphis. Last year we responded somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 runs. All the other stations also tally all of their runs and keep up with their individual statistics. So the guy was right in reporting the run totals for all the apparatus in his station or department. Where he was wrong was adding them all up and reporting that number at total incidents, which we do not do. When E34, E30, E25, T12, T21, R1, & B8 make an apartment fire, all the companies go back and report that as a call in their individual company run book. The fire in general though is reported as one incident toward the end of the year fire call total. Make sense?

Lt. R Kramer, Jr.
    E34-A
    www.memphisfire.net
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-27-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Thread Information