Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wind Endurance

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Wind Endurance

Hi....
    Being a FF/P and smoking is a dangerous mix, at least for me it is. I realized , after running several flights of stairs, I needed to quit. That task, although very hard, is DONE! Only two day's smoke free, but after the loss of breath and lung soreness I decided that was it. Not just for my health, but for my co-workers safety and the safety of the lives I am expected to save.
    Anyway, I need some tips on wind endurance:
    How do i get it back?
    How long will it take?
    What exercises will work the fastest?
    Anything....ARRRRRR.
    I don't now if I will ever get back to 100%, but I will do what ever I can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stay positive!

Congrats on quitting smoking! Be proud of yourself. If you keep fitness as a top priority and remember the burning feeling in your lungs, you shouldn't have a problem staying smoke-free. If you have access to a gym, I would do a total body training program using circuit training 3 times per week (for example, Mon., Wed., & Fri). Then on 3 other days, do your cardio. Keep each session at 30-45 mins. BE PROGRESSIVE! You will have to build up your endurance by gradually increasing the effort level of your training sessions. Be aware of your blood pressure also, it might be a little off since your body will be adjusting without nicotine. GOOD LUCK!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Madmaxx! I'm a big advocate on weight training; LOVE IT! But, I'm going a little slower on the aerobics. I'm starting out with a combination of jogging, walking and the stairs. I'm trying not to lose weight, as I only weigh about a buck, so I'm going a littler heavier on the weights.
    Thanks Again!
    BTW, Like your site!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just remember that maintaining your weight involves eating the right amount of calories each day. If you're increasing your training program and want to stay the same weight, you might have to increase your daily calories a bit to offset the increase in caloric expenditure from the exercise. Basically, you have to take in (eat) the same amount of calories that you burn off (exercise). I would venture to guess the formula which may suit you would be to multiply your bodyweight by 15 (100 x 15) to determine your daily caloric intake. This can be used as a starting point, and then you can adjust your calories (by 300-500 calories per day) based upon how you feel, your energy level, and whether or not you're gaining lean body mass.
    As far as the cardio goes, definitely start slowly and gradually build yourself up. It will come, just be patient but consistent.

Thanks for checking out the site! I'm working on a training program for firefighters that will be available to the public soon!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Thread Information