Thread: FD Rivals

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy FD Rivals

Hello,
    I currently work at a part time FD (career/paid) and am testing (consortium) for several full time departments. One of the departments I am testing for is a rival of the department I work for. Both departments work in the same district and respond to allot of the same calls; fire and medic.
    Now, while I have no problem with the "other dept" everyone seems to think I'm crazy for testing, mostly because they don't like the other FF's. I am going to test regardless, but if I were to get on the department I feel as though it may cause some complications with my current employment. And then to respond to the same calls......
    I just don't get it. Isn't there suppose to be some sort of thing called Brother/Sisterhood? Isn't our purpose/goal the same regardless what departments we work for and our mission statements similar?

Anyway, Hope you are all safe and Happy New Year! I'll have a drink, err sparkling cider, to that!

Forum Member

WHAT Two FD's not getting along. Say it aint so

Welcome to the world of firefighting. What you are faced with is as old as the fire service. Ever here the stories of how large cities like NY used to be covered by numerous volunteer FD's, who would fight in the street in front of a burning building over who was going to put out the fire?

It goes on in my county, always has. Dont ever see it changing. Even though we operate under one dispatch center, respond mutual aid to each others areas on a daily basis, and have the same counywide SOP's for fireground operations.

Times change, but some things stay the same. At least we dont fight each other in the street anymore

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

One of the departments I am testing for is a rival of the department I work for.
    When I think of the word "rival", many examples come to mind...rival street gangs, rival sports teams, rival schools....I've never really thought that the term might apply to fire departments. Man, it must be worse than I thought out there...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Huh??........................

Originally posted by Dave1983

Times change, but some things stay the same. At least we dont fight each other in the street anymore

Dave
    We Don't??....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983

Ever here the stories of how large cities like NY used to be covered by numerous volunteer FD's, who would fight in the street in front of a burning building over who was going to put out the fire?

Dave

Funny! We fight the same fires and go to the same Medic calls and then we listen to the stories that evolve. Each departments talks about the mistakes that were made. It could start out that someone slipped on ice and turn into a story of how the Medic slipped on ice and pushed the patient out of the ambulance....
    I've learned to keep my thoughts to myself. What's the old saying? Be nice to everyone because they may be the @SS you have to kiss later?

Forum Member

Default Two departments?

Two departments not getting along? Heck, try 2 fire COMPANIES not getting along, and that's in the same firehouse!

Gotta love the fire service.

Forum Member

When I first started, I knew and old fireman who was in his 80's and told the story of his first fire back around 1910. The Foreman assigned him to guard the hydrant they had hooked up to.

He couldn't figure out why until he heard a noise, turned around and the lights went out. When he woke up he had a broken nose from a hydrant wrench which had been swung by the Foreman of another Hose Company, and the other company had removed his hose and replaced it with their own.

Granted, things have improved ... but in some areas, not much

-bob-

Thread Information