Thread: Transfers?

MembersZone Subscriber
    The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

Post Transfers?

..........Just curious,
    Do you have any say in your rig/station assignment?

We can be transfered at any time for the "betterment of the Department", not political, religous, racial, etc.....reasons.

That's what the rules say.
    That's not how it works.

Too many examples to list.....
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

Forum Member

People may put in transfer request for openings or bid on openings. Basically if a position was created by a former member either dies, retires, or gets fired it is a senority bid spot. If the position becomes open because someone quits gets promoted or transfered it is an opening that is filled by the department. People may put in for it but all rules are out....more commonly referred to as *** kissin spots. Crazy rules I guess but that is how it is set up in our union contract. The department...aka administration...aka city....aka "they" can always resort to the "betterment of the job." clause and move anyone at any time. For the most part if you stay out of "trouble" you get left alone.

RK
    E34-A
    www.memphisfire.net

Forum Member

Well, it depends on what you mean by "Transfer".

For permanent transfers to an open position it is a bid process with seniority and any needed specialized training given its due regard. If noone bids on the position then to least senior, non-probationary member is forced into the position. Here's the kicker though, after you have been "forced", you cannot be forced again for 10 years. That pretty much assures you you won't ever be forced twice.

On the other hand, if you are talking temporary transfers (a few shifts or less) then "the good of the department" plays a major role. I hear all manner of griping from my guys when they are sent out for a shift or two. Basically, in these instances, it is at the shift officer's discretion as to who he will move in order to assure the citizens that all companies are adequately staffed. And that's how it should be. The citizens (customers for you Brunacini fans) come first.
    Lt. John Kaltenbach
    Mifflin Fire - Rescue 133
    Gahanna, OH

"Vermögen bevorzugt das tapfere!"

former FH.com member

Transfers here ruled by seniority. The exception to this rule is Special Operations. All Tech. Rescue Team, Haz-Mat, or Airport positions are resume/interview positions where seniority is not a factor.
    You can transfer one time per year (jan-jan), mutual swaps may be done at any time with the consent of the Fire Cheifs Office.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are several ways a transfer can occur in my department. First, the chief can decide to just change things up, doesn't happen to often. Second, a firefighter can put in a request for a transfer and then either wait for another firefighter to retire or be promoted. Or finally, two or more firefighters who agree to transfer to each others shifts can do so if approved by the chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

All positions on the line in my dept. are bid for on a seniority basis. The only ways you can be moved off your bid piece is to bid off, or TEMPORARILY in an acting officer's spot but only on a day by day basis if they can't get an officer (very rare). ex. I am assigned permanently to Engine 2. The only way I come off my truck on my shift is if they can't get an EMS officer to be in charge of the bus, since I am the lowest ALS qualified on my shift I get detailed. But the chief CANNOT move us out of our bid spot, the only way we leave is promotion, bid to another open spot or retire. We have an annual bid in December where anyone can put their spot up for bid by someone else. Anytime a vacancy occurs there is a bid as well.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information