Forum Member

Default Cops take over Fire Dept

Last night at a small volunteer Fire Dept.in Tennessee local cops headed by town alderman/cop/firefighter/emt, come to meeting and Chief is told by alderman/cop/firefighter/emt to aprove 8 cops applications so they can be voted on by city council. Chief dont like having cops shoved down his throat tell mayor he quits, cops win. By the way no one ever cared about this Dept until Chief got FEMA grants 2 years in a row, 12 new sets of turnouts and 12 new scba's and spare bottles last year, this year a new 2004 pumper with ISO equipment almost 250,000.00 in equipment for the cops to use. Dont get me wrong we need all of the help we can get but this is a setup to take over dept, I have nothing against cops I have a lot of respect for most of them, but those I call them Officer's. Thanks for letting me vent, good luck stay low.....

Forum Member

i don't get it. your chief got 8 applications from people who were cops and wanted to be fireman (and who could blame them ), 8 able bodied men who were willing to help out the department, chief says he don't want no cops, we got enough people, tells them to take a hike, then tells the mayor he quits, cops get on, junior leadership must rebuild with 8 new members and no head of office, and now you got 12 new sets of gear and a new pumper which the chief worked to get, but he quit, so now your better off than you were before?

as a chief in upstate NY used to say, it's all about asses in the seats. who care where they come from?

btw, these are proby members. ie, no voting for at least a year. you still have senior members, right? you still have line officers, right? you got more than 8 senior FFs, right? so what's all the comotion about?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

DrP, don't assume the rules/bylaws/etc are the same for that guys company as they are in yours. Sounds to me like this "alderman" is running the show and these 8 new guys will be the department, regardless of who was there already.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Talking

Originally posted by Bones42
    DrP, don't assume the rules/bylaws/etc are the same for that guys company as they are in yours.
    bones, you mean there are departments that will take people off the street, immediately give them full voting privalages within the organization, before they have any training whatsoever? hmmm, i think i just got an idea for how to become chief next year......

i know most paid departments have a probationary period, I would have though most volunteers did too....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Sheesh...this isn't some kind of PSO scheme, is it?

Forum Member

The Aldermen/cop/firefighter/emt has a vendetta against chief so he brings in his cop buddys to help him take over, in this dept you get voting rights after 90days.

Forum Member

you hit the nail on the head Bones...

MembersZone Subscriber

Politics suck.

So what numbers are you looking at.

How many numbers does the old gaurd of the FD have.

Can you outvote 9 guys.

If so, no problems what so ever.

Who cares what they try to pull, just stick to your guns and you have them kicked.

Oh, and make them buy their gear out of the PD budget!!!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is way more about politics in a small town than about cops.

And what about (gasp!) the possibility that these new members may actually be a benefit.

And we also do not know anything about what this FD was like before the vote. It is an equal possibility that the FD was completely screwed up and this is the best thing that ever happened to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey that reminds me, what do you call a COP? A Firefighter Candidate whom failed the written exam so settled for the next best thing. Hehe.

BTW-I am a PSO and work both sides so dont give me a bunch a grief.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by UTFFEMT
    Hey that reminds me, what do you call a COP? A Firefighter Candidate whom failed the written exam so settled for the next best thing. Hehe.

BTW-I am a PSO and work both sides so dont give me a bunch a grief.
    What do you call a PSO?

A scab (of at least one of the jobs).

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you call a PSO?
    PSO-PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER.

A scab (of at least one of the jobs).
    Your absolutley Correct. Though we are technically a Public Safety Department, the system really does not work at all and I think it will go away within the next few years from what Ive been hearing.

WE can only cross our fingers and hope that it happens sooner than later.

For the most part we operate as a stand alone Fire Department but the real clincher is that we are the Police bastard children and are treated as such.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know what a PSO is and I wasn't being complimentary. Have you been a scab for 21 years?

Why don't you guys do the right thing and refuse to work the PD job so they can hire some professional law enforcement officers?

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Why don't you guys do the right thing and refuse to work the PD job so they can hire some professional law enforcement officers?
    maybe for the same reason volunteer firefighters don't do the right thing and refuse to work so they can hire some professional firefighters?

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    maybe for the same reason volunteer firefighters don't do the right thing and refuse to work so they can hire some professional firefighters?
    I see, a bad moon a risen'.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who says we Dont do that???? This is what we do and have been doing for several years now. As I said the only thing that is really Public Safety is the Title. All the Fire People are Fire/EMS and the Cops are Cops. We got rid of the police cruisers out of the Fire Stations several years ago and the only thing we really do anymore is once a year qualify at the shooting range. This is so we can keep our 200.00 a month PSO bonus rollen in. and the Cops keep thier paramedic certs current so they can keep thier 200.00 a month bonus coming even though they dont perform the duties as a Firefighter/Paramedic. Its all quite the farse and if I were a taxpaying citizen of the City I would be up in arms.

But it looks great on the books and is quite hard to overcome. But thanx for tryning to tell us what to do when you dont know the first thing on what were doing in the first place.

And No I have not been a scab ever, ive been a paid full time Fireman for those 21 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who says we Dont do that???? This is what we do and have been doing for several years now. As I said the only thing that is really Public Safety is the Title. All the Fire People are Fire/EMS and the Cops are Cops. We got rid of the police cruisers out of the Fire Stations several years ago and the only thing we really do anymore is once a year qualify at the shooting range. This is so we can keep our 200.00 a month PSO bonus rollen in. and the Cops keep thier paramedic certs current so they can keep thier 200.00 a month bonus coming even though they dont perform the duties as a Firefighter/Paramedic. Its all quite the farse and if I were a taxpaying citizen of the City I would be up in arms.

But it looks great on the books and is quite hard to overcome. But thanx for tryning to tell us what to do when you dont know the first thing on what were doing in the first place.

And No I have not been a scab ever, ive been a paid full time Fireman for those 21 years.

Sounds eloquent, but you are the one who started this, pal. You started off insultng law enforcement professionals and then tried to claim it was OK becuase you wore both hats. Then, when you are called on it, yu disavow it. You're a scab-plain and simple.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds eloquent, but you are the one who started this, pal. You started off insultng law enforcement professionals and then tried to claim it was OK becuase you wore both hats. Then, when you are called on it, yu disavow it. You're a scab-plain and simple.
    Well then maybe I am then, but then again what is a definition of a scab? I dont see myself as a scab in as much that I am only a Full-time firefighter that works for a public safety department that the only differance is the upper management structure from a all Fire Department structure.

So go through your mud somehwere else and also this is a "FIREFIGHTERS" forum web site, im not on a Police web site so if I offened your little typical police wanna bee attitude toooooooo bad.

So please expalin how it is that im a scab. And also what are you? a explorer or outside wannabee looken to get hired finally somewhere?

Forum Member

So please expalin how it is that im a scab. And also what are you? a explorer or outside wannabee looken to get hired finally somewhere?
    ooooo, you really did it this time. this is one area where I won't even challenge him on.

hey GW, please share with this gentleman what your title was before you retired, as well as what your background is in fire, police, and EMS.

to UTFFEMT, what do you think CFI stands for?

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DrParasite
    ooooo, you really did it this time. this is one area where I won't even challenge him on.

hey GW, please share with this gentleman what your title was before you retired, as well as what your background is in fire, police, and EMS.

to UTFFEMT, what do you think CFI stands for?
    Why bother? He's a scab.

I'm a 19 year old, volunteer fire fighter and EMT with 21 months experience. My FD does about six runs a month, four of those are EMS. But we drill about once a month and talk about big fires all the time. I love to drive the engine code three.

I drive a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice tricked out with a light bar, wig-wags and strobe flashers. I have three scanners. I have a crew cut and wear my pager and Buck knife in Cridura so everybody thinks that I am a cop. I would like to take the police test, but I am not sure that I could make the grade. I might have to fight someone. It's easier to fight on the internet than fight on the street.

CFI stands for certified friggin' idiot.

Forum Member

And all of this ranting and raving is helping winfieldff20 how?

Back on topic... we are only hearing one side of the story. I would be interested in hearing what caused the riff between the Chief and the Alderman in the first place.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information