Thread: Hose Drag

Forum Member

Red face Hose Drag

So you can get a weighted vest,and a dummy to practice for the physical test. What can you get to practice the hose drag ?

Forum Member

If you are already a fireman of course just use the line at your house. If not a good trick is grab a piece of rope tie a 50lb or 100lbs to the end of the rope keep the other free end free. It may sound like an excerise in futility but it isnt a bad option. It at least gives you the feeling of pulling a weight and the muscle groups involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing you can do is run stairs with a weighted vest; get your legs in great physical condition. I don't know if you've ever done a hose drag, but the first 50 feet is a breeze. The last 25/50 feet is harder because your pulling all the weight of the hose. I agree with "fdnyrules71." Pulling the free weight will give you a good start.
    Also remember, it's not just pulling; it's technique. When running with the hose or rope, DON'T stop. If you do it's harder to start pulling again. Breathing is another problem. Allot of people run out of wind before they run out of strength. Do your aerobics to build up your wind endurance. I'm working on that one myself!!

Forum Member

I have a quick question. Are you talking about the hose drag in the Firefighters Combat Challenge or in the IAFF/IAFC developed CPAT?

Forum Member

Talking

The CPAT. Thanks for your response guys.

Forum Member

I believe that you will find the the CPAT hose drag is with a dry hose and the real problem will come when you have to pull the hose with just arms while kneeling.

Forum Member

The CPAT test I have scene is you have to pull a charged line through a tunnel that drops in height and is usual a horse shoe in shape. I personally havent seen kneeling.

Forum Member

I guess that there is more than 1 CPAT out there. The one that I know about is the one that they are using in NYS.

COFire282
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Hose Drag

If you belong to a gym, a great exercise is to use the Multi machine (the one where you can hook up different handles & do lat pulls, rows, etc.--I'm having a brain fart & can't think of the proper name). Use a D-handle, drop the level of the machine (where you attach the handle) so that it's right off of the ground, step back about 4 feet and get down on one knee. Then, do one-arm rows with weight. If you have some gloves, get a little closer to the machine & pull, using both hands, until you've raised the stack of weights to the top; slowly lower and repeat.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

the cable crossover?
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Thread Information