Forum Member

well, it's been two months, and so far I am very satisfied with the laptop. but there were three things that I needed to get to make it complete, and I am looking for a forth item.

The first is an external mouse. I bought Targus mini optical mouse from office depot for $11 after a $5 rebate. the touch pad is nice, but there at times when a mouse just makes everything easier.

the second thing was a Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Thumb Hub. the laptop only came with 2 USB ports, so I spent $15 on a 4-port adapter from compUSA. so know i Have a total of 5 USB ports.

the third thing was a 16 meg USB flash drive, which i got from my old job. very useful, considering there is no zip drive.

the final thing is what I'm asking for help with. Since the laptop speakers suck (as do most laptop internal speakers), I need to purchase an external pair. Right now, I'm looking at the Sony SRS-T77, for $50. I figure if anyone else knows of a pair for under $100 (or even under $50) that is good, I would welcome any help, as I know little in the area of laptop speakers. they would need to be portable, as they would be going in my laptop bag, and going everywhere I went.

thanks in advance.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Banned

I got a Sony viao laptop and love it. I used to have a dell but it got broken when i kicked it accross the room. I will never buy from dell again

Forum Member

Spare yourself. Do not buy an HP or Compaq... ie- HeaP and Comcrap.

I've using Dell exclusively at home, work, and the FH. I will not use anything else and recomend them to anyone who asks. Check out the "Dell Outlet" on their website. You can buy factory refurbs that are current models and like new for much less.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I had a Toshiba satellite laptop. It was a piece. Thankfully I bought the extended 3 year warranty plan. Let’s just say after the store had to replace the hard drive, LCD screen, CD bay, floppy drive, sound card, and IR port they were more than happy to honor the ‘no lemon clause’ in my contract. They gave me a choice of several new models.

I now use an Averatec 3250. So far no problems. I love the size, weight and battery life. When they gave me my freebie, I chose to sacrifice some performance for portability. But it’s still twice the specs of my old one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091101643520

As for speakers, I usually don't use the laptop for music. If I want tunes I use my desktop with 5.1 Dolby speakers.

Default Dell all the way

Dell all the way. I own a dell Inspiron 8600 and my father owns a Inspiron 8100. I havent really had any experience with the Toshiba Satellit. However I do know of someone who owns a Compaq and is constantly having problems with it. I have a gateway desktop, and its VERY tempermental. As of this point and time, I'll never buy anything else except a Dell.

Forum Member

I called Dell yesterday for a problem with my desktop. Their tech said the problem was because I was 'magnetized’ I asked him to explain. He then said it has to do with the ‘abnormally high amounts of nickel and cobalt in my bloodstream.’ I hung up. I'll deal with it on my own.

I've been called alot of things before, but never 'magnetized’

MembersZone Subscriber

I manage a computer department for a manufacturing company in my real job. We have bought 2 dozen gateway laptops and have had great luck with them. Dell and IBM have come down some in price, but are still over priced and the HP service is &^%$. Just my two and half cents, they all use the same internal parts

Another option for home computers is the gateway profiles. This only works if you are not wanting it to be mobile.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got a new laptop through work, IBM T42! Love it, has a fingerprint sensor. just swipe your finger and BAM! your're logged in.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

I just bought an HP ZV5360us. It has everything you ask for and more:

P4 3.06 Ghz
    40 Gig HD
    15" screen
    804.11g/b
    etc, etc....
    You can find one for under $1K.

Forum Member

Got a Dell Inspiron 8200 at home and haven't had problems with it. Have a Gateway at work that shuts down on me constantly. No way to re-create the problem and the helpdesk just reconfigured the thing to no avail. I've had more problems with the Gateway that I care to list.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you're buying HP personal machines, then you're asking for trouble. Go for the business class Evo series and you'll be fine. I bought my laptop through a friend to who works for an HP reseller that has the TX State Contract for computers. 40% off of retail.

My office buys the same desktops he has (for a lot more) and I've had no problems with any of them. I've had the 1.7 for over 3 years, the 2.4 for 2 years, and the 3.2 for 2 months. All stay running pretty much 24/7 unless I'm going on vacation.

I'm a big fan of Dells too, never had a problem with them either. Gateway is worthless, and friends don't let friends use Macintosh.

No matter what you buy, make sure it's a business class machine, not a home use. Big difference in the reliability of the components, and even though they cost more up front, they will last. I've had my laptop for 4 years also, and the only thing I needed to get was another battery. And I usually leave that running all day too.

Forum Member

and friends don't let friends use Macintosh.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information