Forum Member

Default repairing our apps.

We are a volunteer dept, fully. Some of our apparatus has started to fall out of, not exactly road worthy, but its getting there. Am I wrong if I threaten to have the D.O.T. do an inspection on them to determine their road worthiness if the memembers in our dept continue to refuse to make needed, and eventually costly repairs?

Forum Member

Default Re: repairing our apps.

Originally posted by RVFD506
    We are a volunteer dept, fully. Some of our apparatus has started to fall out of, not exactly road worthy, but its getting there. Am I wrong if I threaten to have the D.O.T. do an inspection on them to determine their road worthiness if the memembers in our dept continue to refuse to make needed, and eventually costly repairs?
    What will be more cost effective... repairs on the vehicles or a multimillion dollar wrongful death suit? Sometimes the bean counters are so blind that they have to be hit in the head with a two by four to "see the light"...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The good Captain has once again hit the old nail squarely on the head.

Not only are your volunteers at risk but the sue happy public would have a field day if anything happened. It's alot better having a piece of apparatus pulled off the road by DOT than to have it in a junk yard and be facing costly litigation that could possibly put your department out of business.

-bob-

Forum Member

Another good saying is that while the service is free, the vehicles and personnel are priceless. Get them fixed right, or get on a replacement plan even if it is for a better used apparatus. Need to get to the scene to be of any help.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Gonz,You CAN'T make them see the light,but the 2x4 will help 'em see the dark. And you DON't want to see MY dark side!Neither does the bean counter,boss keeps me on a VERY short leash when we go in there. T.C.

Forum Member

Looks like I have alot of firepower now. Thanks, yall. I'm even thinking of threatning to alert the VFIS to the siutuation. But, in case they (bean counters) don't want that to happen, I've gotten a list of options up. Thanks to all...

are you stil haveing a problem with repair and maintenance?

one of the things you can do to help you're self and others is to find a qualified repair facility and if possiable set you're apparatus up on a preventative maintenance program thru them and if they are really wanting you're work they will come to you're station and make a presentation as to what they can do for you, and what it will save you from.

i use wfs fleet service out of warrick county indiana and these people are great they are not perfect but who is. they are just like us on call 24/7. and they have never let me down.

are you a heavy truck mechanic and can you present you're concerns and problems in a way to convince people that action needs to be taken with maintaining the fleet?

Thread Information