Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: The Two Hatters

MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Default The Two Hatters

I am a Career Firefighter who is also a Union member in a state that is a right to work state. I see the "Two Hatters" who work in my department (City/all career) and volunteer in the County (comgination). All in all some of my brothers/sisters have a fun time ribbing the others for volunteering. However the problem arises when our members who are volunteering in the County are impeding in the process of the County paid staff growing to the level where it should be. This affects me because I live in the county and instead of having full time staff which is more reliable more of the time, I have to rely completely on the volunteers or mutual aid. Now that being said I have no problem at all with volunteers and I was one before becoming career. However during the day or night when no one is at the station (volunteers) then if something happens I have to wait the extra response time for adequate fire/ems protection.

So yes I have a problem with "TWO HATTERS" who consistently make it more difficult for other departments to grow. And yes there is a time in suburban departments lives when they need to make the crossover to a combination department due to increased call volume, increased population, decreased volunteer members, etc.

I guess I see it this way. If several of my coworkers volunteer somewhere else and have continually voiced their opinion on more career staffing at their volunteer station to the point of the Governing bodies listening to them and following their wishes. Then what the heck is going to happen when my house burns down in their Volunteer district while they are all working (24 hours) and thus unable to respond.

As far as the whole IAFF stance on the issue I think it is a local issue. If you are a member then you are the IAFF in your area. YOu and your fellow firefighters. So you make the rules. If you don't like certain rules then change them so they apply. Don't sit back and cry about it. That happens too often. However remember Majority rules.
    Last edited by FireFleitz; 12-28-2004 at 03:47 PM.

and that is the exact position that the IAFF takes, for that exact reason. while is why I don't like combination departments, because then the volunteers are impeeding the career staff from growing. more active volunteers means less need for career staff.

but until your hometown goes 100% paid, wouldn't you rather have a career FF on the engine responding to your emergency in his off time, instead of a computer programmer or a podiatrist who is a firefighter only in his spare time?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

This affects me because I live in the county and instead of having full time staff which is more reliable more of the time, I have to rely completely on the volunteers or mutual aid.

So, what have you done to lobby for a tax increase to support paid staff?
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

I have more than 2 hats, most of them are of the "baseball" design. Though if I look around, I'm sure I can find an old dixie cup from the USN, maybe a cowboy hat, a pipefitters chromer, and even one of those gangster hats.
    So, I ask, whats wrong with having more than 2 hats?
    Now if you find this post condisending and completely off topic, well you are right. This crap has been dropped, stirred, dug up, and re-dropped a thousand times. Try doing a search first, please. I thank you for you time and will now return you to your regular scheduled career/vollie arguement.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SPFDRum
    Now if you find this post condisending and completely off topic, well you are right. This crap has been dropped, stirred, dug up, and re-dropped a thousand times. Try doing a search first, please. I thank you for you time and will now return you to your regular scheduled career/vollie arguement.

Exactly.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

SPFDRum-

Do you have any change left? Can you get this round, as well?

(Where the hell is Mongo? Or Josh? Okay, I'll say it....

ATTENTION SHOPPERS. WILL THE DEAD HORSE PLEASE REPORT AT ONCE TO THE FORUMS. THANK YOU.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Here we go again yadda yadda yadda ....

The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from one generation to the next, says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
    However, in modern business, because of the heavy investment factors to be taken into consideration, often other strategies have to be tried with dead horses, including, but not limited to, the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.
    2. Changing riders.
    3. Threatening the horse with termination.
    4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
    5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
    6. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
    7. Appointing an intervention team to reanimate the dead horse.
    8. Creating a training session to increase the rider's load share.
    9. Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.
    10. Change the form so that it reads: "This horse is not dead."
    11. Hire outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
    12. Harness several dead horses together for increased speed.
    13. Donate the dead horse to a recognized charity, thereby deducting its full original cost.
    14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
    15. Do a time management study to see if the lighter riders would improve productivity.
    16. Purchase an after-market product to make dead horses run faster.
    17. Declare that a dead horse has lower overhead and therefore performs better.
    18. Form a quality focus group to find profitable uses for dead horses.
    19. Rewrite the expected performance requirements for horses.
    20. (MY favorite)Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Try here.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

OR you could just beat the dead horse over and over and over and ....

Thread Information