Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Arrowstick to flashers?

I was wondering if an arrowstick on a Code3 MX7000 lightbar can be changed so that the lights act as rear flashers and work lights instead. The arrowstick has 8 lights and I wanted to change them to 4 alternating flashers and 4 work lights. Can this be done without purchasing any extra parts?

Thanks,
    Ron

Hmmmm. Well, having installed a couple myself, I would say perhaps. You wouldnt be able to use the arrowstick control box. What you would need to do is remove the cable from the box and then determine which wire in the cable goes to which light or pair of lights on the arrowstick. Once you have that figured out, connect the ones you want for work lights wp to a new switch, and the others up to a new flasher and switch.

Dave

So, is it just a matter of locating the correct place on the MX7000 "circuit board" to wire it for flashers and work lights? Or, will I need to order another part for my MX7000? I already have a light switchbox that is capable of supplying separate power to several different options. I'm just not sure if the stock MX7000 has the ability to add alternating rear flashers.

Thanks,
    Ron

Well, I have never dealt with an MX7000, just the arrowstick itself. I assumed you would have the standard arrowstick control box/cable which would be seperate from the rest of the bar. Or if its like the Federal vector/signalmaster combination (signalmaster is Fed's version of the arrowstick), which has one big cable with a group of wires that goes to the signalmaster control box. Either way, I would think you would be able to figure out which wires in the cable control the stick lights. If not, I dont no what to tell you.

Dave

Come to think of it, a guy at work has a brother who is a volunteer in NC. I think he did some type of modification to an MX7000 like you are trying to do. If I see him tomorrow I will ask what his brother did.

Dave

Usually, bar mounted arrow sticks are still using a conventional controller in the cab and have a conventional wire harness just for the arrow stick going to it. It is basicly no different than a remotely mounted arrow stick except it is housed in the bar. You can do just like dave said and put the wires to whatever power source you'd like. The challenge may be finding clear lenses for the work lights.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Originally posted by nmfire
    Usually, bar mounted arrow sticks are still using a conventional controller in the cab and have a conventional wire harness just for the arrow stick going to it. It is basicly no different than a remotely mounted arrow stick except it is housed in the bar. You can do just like dave said and put the wires to whatever power source you'd like. The challenge may be finding clear lenses for the work lights.
    Yes, I believe the arrowstick has a separate wiring harness from the rest of the bar. I have a friend who did this to one with no problems. As for the lenses, just pull out the amber inserts........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thanks guys!

That's what I was hoping to hear. Looks like I'll bid on that lightbar after all.

Ron

Thread Information