Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Canadian live-in/ Bunk-in Programs

I am looking for a Canadian Fire Dept that has a live-in/ Bunk-in program where it is not Mandatory you have to be a student... If you know of any PLEASE let me know..thanks

Steve

dr_tubby@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Steve, can you explain what your goals are? Are you talking exchange program?
    Thanks
    Dave

Red face Intentions

Dear Dave

I am Looking for a Fire Dept where I cam Volunteer at for 2-3 years to get more experience before I head to the U.S. Where I have a guaranteed Postion in a fire Dept in NY State.

I was hoping for a bunk-in Program where you live at the fire house free of rent in exchange for volunteer full time dedication to respond to calls 24/7 and other activites around the firehouse including training.

or if there is no bunk-in program a small apartment within running distance to the fire hall at low rent..

Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
    dr_tubby@hotmail.com

I'm not familiar with all parts of the country, but I think, for the most part that is an American phenomenon
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Default Thanks anyway Smoke

Well I am sorry to hear there are no Canadian programs like this. As I think it would be a great thing for Canadian FF's. However I do appreciate the response smoke 20286

Steve

Forum Member

Hey Steve,

What kind of experience do you have? We are going to be opening a residential style fire hall with our snuffer truck stationed out of it (hopefully february). Guys will pay a low rent to live their and, when they are home they respond in the truck. Full time guys will be at the main hall. Im not sure if any other departments have this option in Canada because I think Smoke20286 is right - more of an American thing.

If you have experience this may be an option for you?
    Dave

Default Not a whole lot

Hi Dave

I have a fair bit indirect experience but direct firefighting not really. I Volunteered on a Volunteer ambulance service for 6 years that just did medical coverage for large events. I applied and was excepted to a Volunteer fire dept in NY state and after 4 months (as mostly an observer before fire courses were scheduled) I was unable to renew my Visa and had to return to Canada. I used to Teach Volly FF First Responder Courses free of charge in exchange for letting me practice with them. I worked for the corners Office and at Fatality MVA's the FD would sometimes let us guys use the Hurst as a treat.

I grew up around the Fire Dept as my father was on for years, I used to run the pump at practices for the guys at age 12.

However as far as Fire Classes and Certifications I do not have much. That is why I am trying to find a program in order to get experience and training... do you think I would qualify Dave or would I need more? any more questions you can e-mail me at dr_tubby@hotmail.com thanks

Stephen

You know, some of the provincial fire schools offer on the job training as part of their cirriculum. I know the Newfoundland one does. The local students do 8 weeks with us. They are assigned a shift and work the same 24hr shifts we do
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information