Forum Member

Default Vehicle Inspection

Just curious, does any other departments do monthly apparatus inspections? If so, what all do you inspect? Do you have sheets that you use to go by?

auk

MembersZone Subscriber

We do weekly truck checks.

Each apparatus or watercraft is assigned to one member for a month at a time. The SCBAs are split up between 2 people. Three people get station cleaning duties.

We get our regular per call pay for each week's truck check.

Every truck or station check has a check off sheet. Mechanically, it's mostly check the oil, tire pressures, etc. All the equipment is gone over too.

Usually takes between 1 and 2 hours per week depending on which rig you're assigned to.

My department takes this very seriously: If we don't get one of our weekly checks done, we get written up and reassigned to do it again the next month with no pay. A second occurance of missing it can be a suspension. A third offense, you're pretty much fired.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

We do truck checks every two weeks. Everyone is assigned a truck, and you are responsible for making sure it gets done.
    We check everything including:
    tire pressure
    lug nuts
    under carriage
    oil/power steering/coolant
    battery cables
    scbas
    generators
    chain saws
    inventory
    Basically everything on the trucks gets checked, and marked off on the maintenance sheet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Exclamation Every call and weekly

We do an equipment check list after every call. Such things as radio works, lights work, reload hose, fill tank, fuel portables, clean SCBA, check oil, transmission, primer, drain pump, etc. Two copy form with one copy going with the report and the other remaining on the clip board.

Once a week a more detailed inpection is completed for each unit. Teams are assigned for each week so you only pull it about once a month.

Nothing worse than to get on a roof, start the saw, and it quickly runs out of fuel. It's a lot easier and warmer to fix things in the station than at the scene.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

Our trucks are checked twice a day. Once at 7AM and again at 7PM at shift change. On the back of the shift log is the truck checkoff. We have to record the mileage as well as check the hoses, belts, all fluids, tires, body damage and all lights and siren. We also have to check all the equipment such as saws, hurst tool, medical equipment, etc.

Forum Member

Our trucks at the Main (manned) station are checked twice a day after shift changes, 6am and 6pm. Daily vehicle inspection sheets have checkoffs for everything including SCBAs, fluids, belts, emergency lights, etc...
    Trucks at the unmanned substations are checked a couple times a week depending on usage.
    Paid FFs are responsible for truck inspections during their shift and with 5 video cameras in the station and truck bays if anyone doesn't do their truck checks the Chief will know about it.

Forum Member

we do both daily and weekly rig checks ........and check all SCBA bottles twice a month.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Ambulances are checked out daily at the 6PM "shift change" when the night duty person comes in and takes it from the fire prevention staff. This is mostly a check of the medical equipment, including changing the AED battery (they're charged inside the station) and running a system test, checking O2 levels, checking stocks, etc. A more thorough inventory of the medical equipment is performed as part of the weekly station maintenance.

All apparatus are given a thorough mechanical checkout on the weekend as part of the weekly station maintenance. For the engines, truck and water tender, this is a full checkout based on the CDL pre-trip requirements with fire apparatus-specific items (such as exercising valves, etc.) included. Typically, each Engineer on-duty checks out 2 or 3 apparatus (depending on how many are on). For the ambulances, utility and staff vehicles, its similar but a bit less involved (though we still check fluid levels, tires, etc.)

Equipment, such as SCBAs and power tools, are also checked during this time. Usually, the probies, trainees and more junior FFs do this. We operate every power tool and check fuel levels. SCBAs are checked out per a standard check-out sheet.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

My dept is basically the same as ramseycl......We do ours every two weeks....We check it from head to toe and all the equipment..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I also would be very interested in any "check sheets" or "maintenance logs" that other departments are currently using. Looking to change our checkout/maintenance program, and don't wan't to re-invent the wheel. If any of you have something that works well that you could email me I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank You
    Rick

Forum Member

We have a weekly ckecklist for each apparatus. The list are divides up into sections of the truck (cab,rear,compartment#) This is to make sure everything stays in the right place. We try to have each person do a month at atime so everyone stays up on where things are located.

We do weekly inspections to the whole Engine and Booster, including SCBA and reserve tanks for the SCBA. Hoses yearly inspections and pressure checks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any of you have a computerized form(s) or something you use while doing your maintenance etc...something to chekcoff what's done etc... I would be very interested in getting copies of any "CHECK-SHEETS" or that type of thing.

Thanks
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

Thread Information