Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holmotra Set 1

10 41.67%
  • TNT Set 2

14 58.33%
    Forum Member

Default TNT vs. Holmatro

I am looking for some reasons good or bad as to which tool setup would be better, Below are the too options we are considering, the price end is pretty close but we have heard mixed thoughts on both tools any help would be greatly appreciated.

Set 1 Holmatro.
    DPU-30 Duo power unit (3 HP Honda)
    3350 50" Ram
    3040 NCT Cutter
    3242 27" spreader

Set 2 TNT.
    BT-6.5 Duo pump (6.5 HP Honda)
    R-40 40" Ram
    C-20 Cutter
    S-100-32 32" spreader

Forum Member

If the prices are close, I am inclined to go with the TNT set. My reasoning is based upon the larger motor on the power unit and the larger spreader.

Being a high pressure unit, the power of the tool is dependent upon the ability of the power unit to deliver pressure to the tool. The pump itself does this, but having a bigger motor ensures a more consistent performance.

As for the spreader, almost all evolutions will be accomplished with just a few inches of spreading distance. However, if you are going to have just one spreader, you might as well get the one with the most spreading distance for that one call that will need just 5 more inches of spread.

I would use the same argument for the ram, but I would be willing to give up 10 inches of ram to gain the bigger motor and larger spreader.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

OF THE TWO SETS YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE HOLMOTRO IS A BETTER SYSTEM. THE POWER OF THE PUMP, AS IN HORSE POWER DOES NOT REALLY MATTER THAT MUCH. THEY ARE BOTH HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEMS AND FLUID VOLUME MAKES A TOOL WORK FASTER OR SLOWER. LOOK AT THE PUMP OUTPUT IN EACH OF THE TWO STAGES. MAKE SURE YOU GET COPIES OF THE NFPA 1936 CUT SHEETS OF EACH TOOL FOR A GOOD COMPARISON AND MAKE SURE THE COMPANY MAKES AVAILABLE THEIR THIRD PARTY TESTING CERTIFICATES AND ACTUALLY CALL THE THIRD PARTY TESTING AND SEE WHAT THEY DO. ALOT OF COMPANIES SAY THE ARE NFPA COMPLIANT BUT ARE NOT, MAKE THEM PROVE COMPLIANCE.IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT HIGH PRESSURE(10,500 PSI) SYSTEMS ONLY LOOK AT GENESIS, MY VOLUNTEER COMPANY AND CAREER DEPARTMENT USE GENESIS. LOOK AT THE C-165 AND C-270 CUTTERS AND THE S40XL SPREADER. WE USE THE MACH III HONDA POWER UNIT. ITS GOT TWO TOOL OPERATION OR ONE TOOL IN OVERDRIVE, IT DOUBLES THE SPEED OF THE TOOL BEING USED. IT WEIGHS ONLY 64 LBS. RAMS ARE RAMS TO ME BUT I LIKE THE GENESIS RAMS ALSO PUSH/PULL AND TELESCOPICS. THEY ARE LESS EXPENSIVE THAN TNT AND HOLMOTRO. YOU WON'T CRUSH YOUR FINGERS EITHER WITH THE TRIGGER VALVE. OF THE TWO YOU ARE LOOKING AT,GO WITH HOLMOTRO. LATER

Forum Member

Hard call.Both tools will do a good job.I'm with Medic on the spreader but I've opened a lot of space with the Holmatro 27 too.We've tried the Genisys but it's hard for a "lifetime"Holmatro user to get used to a pushbutton.If you know your tools,you won't trap your hand with a twistwrist either.We've got an early set with a 3 or 4 hp Briggs,does the job as well as a 6-7 hp Honda.It's all in the pump system and what it is designed to run.Most of your hydraulics today are comparable,it's whatever "widgets"make you happy that determine what you buy.In competent hands all will do the job in about the same time.So it comes down to money,service,and which one the troops are happier with. Good luck! T.C.

Forum Member

TNT. We cover a large stretch of 4 lane Interstate Highway and our tools are off the rig quite often and we love them. In fact we add to it each year.

I would use the same argument for the ram, but I would be willing to give up 10 inches of ram to gain the bigger motor and larger spreader.
    As for this part... I don't have the price list in front of me to total it all up, but TNT does make a telescoping ram which we have had much success with. It stores easy because retracted it is only like 21 or 22 inches however fully extended it is 52"

Not sure how much flexibility you have in your finances, but if it is not that much more it is a worthwile upgrade to what you initially listed.

Also, as with a lot of vendors we found our TNT rep to give one thing for a quote when we were shopping, but once you became a sure sale it was 'I can take a little bit off this price' and 'I can upgrade to this for a couple bucks more'

Hope that helps a bit.

MembersZone Subscriber

If all other things are equal (or near equal) then how do the 2 compare in the service and support department on a local level?

If you break a tool at zero dark thirty - how quickly will your rep get you back in service.

An example.
    We have Holmatro Tools - got the first set before I ever joined (15 years ago) One of the deciding factors to stay with Holmatro was service & support shown by our local dealer. He keeps a couple full sets of tools at his home/office and will ship or hand deliver a replacement tool w/in 24 hours if he can't fix yours as fast or faster.

On one occasion our O-Cutter suffered a sheared bolt (due to miss use at a training class by a student from another dept.) I called the Rep - told him what model O-Cutter & which bolt broke. As it happened he was on the road doing a service call already so he called the factory and had them Fed-Ex me the bolt also offered to have his Wife FedEx me a new tool from his cache (We declined as we already had an older O-Cutter and a new Combi Tool as back-up's). He also gave me a (inside) number at Holmatro to talk to one of the Engineers to get the proper torque specs (Speaking of which if anyone needs to know how to convert Newton-Meters into Foot-Pounds call me *L*)

In my book - that's good service and as long as we keep getting this levle of service then we'll most likely stay w/ Holmatro.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

One foot pound = 1.355818 newton-meter according to this converter program i downloaded off the net. Handy little thing to have on the computer. I'd go with the TNT set, but both look like a good deal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Holmatro for me

Of the two, I have only used the Holmatros, but I REALLY like these tools. I can't imagine too much improvement.

Like N2DFire stated, look at the service/support. Where is the local guy? How quickly can they get you fixed again?

Also, prior to purchase, spec out a training session with the local rep.

Just my 2 cents...and some have said it is overpriced.

Forum Member

Just a little "service" footnote. The TNT warranty is simple .. "You break it, they fix it .... NO CHARGE" also, ALL TNT dealers agree that you will not be out of service more then 24 hours after reporting a problem. Your broken tool will either be fixed, replaced by dealer demo until yours is repaired, or a replacement is shipped from the factory UPS red overnight. No Bull. All tools can break, its what happens after they break that counts for years down the road.

Zmag

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Don't like TNT, had problems getting straight answers on the equipment. Haven't tried Holmatro but I've always liked what I saw.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most companies have to provide 24/7 service if they want to compete in the market. On a previous department we dropped a genesis power plant off the rig when a door came open. crushed the muffler and so on. We called the local dealer at 2:30 AM just like he told us to do,
    at 0600 hrs he was at the station with a new loaner power plant. He drove 2 1/2 hrs to get us back in service. He repaired our other unit in about 3 days. I've experienced at least 2 other major companies not showing up on occasions and unable to get them on the phone during an emergency. The genesis guy gave us a whole set of tools when we had to send our tools with our truck during a referb for fitting.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a set of TNT tools, power supply, spreader, shear, and a couple of rams. Really like them, no complaints. Never used Holmatro can't offer any opinion there. My suggestion is simlar to others, definitely consider the vendor, their reputation, and ability to service the product after the sale. IMO this is sometimes more important than purchase price. Another consideration depending on your situation is what other departments in the area have; for interoperability purposes?

Rick

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by sdff1520
    Another consideration depending on your situation is what other departments in the area have; for interoperability purposes?
    Let me take us slightly off topic for a moment.

I forget who said it (I believe it was MetalMedic) in an older thread here and I tend to agree with it.
    Interoperability is nice, however you have to think about a few things.

Do you want to take a chance on connecting your equipment to another agency's stuff if you have no idea how well/often they maintain their equipment ?

Why & How often would you really need interoperability ?

In the event that you did need it for "The Big One" - how would you need it? If you had a tool failure then what caused it - Something in your system that might then break theirs ?

Interoperability is nice but I'd put it WAY down on my list of requirements and I'd still think 2 or 3 times before I actually used it - Your mileage may vary
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you want to take a chance on connecting your equipment to another agency's stuff if you have no idea how well/often they maintain their equipment ?
    N2D makes a good point. And he is correct, if I can help it, I'm not hooking my tools to someone elses supply or them to mine. I'd prefer not taking the chance on contaminating my oil with oil that may not be maintaned well or is full of moisture. My actual intent for interoperability was not so much aimed at tool and fitting compatibility as it was at same type/model etc for familiarity. Other departments would know exactly where choke, throttle etc... and where controls were on tool etc... And depending upon your situation and your workings with other departments this may or may not be a priority. For us its not a prime concern, something we will give some thought to, but definitely not the most influencial piece of the decision making process.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I would encourage you to take into account the CARACTER of the Manufacturer reps and the salesman. This is a long term investment and a relationship should build. I was just "let go" by a manufacturer so that his buddy could go to work for him.

Be careful who you partner up with. I wasn't careful enough.

Be Safe!!

Thread Information