Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What I been thinking of fh.com

I usually keep low on things I say but I figured I would say this........It seems like here latelly things have changed, for the worse. When I first joined back in 2003 on the firehouse.com forums things were all nice and peachy but these days it just seems a whole lot different. It seems like were getting things taken away from us starting with the live chat, What next are they going to do make a limit on the amount of posts you can post daily. Back in the day you could post something of true manner and get actual replys to it, but you post something today and your lucky to get out of the way before all of the bashing starts. If you criticize(SP) someone here and get your head bit off. Now adays you cant have an intelligent post without the hassling, it all comes from mostly new users with like under 100 posts, or newly registered. You don't get that from the crustier groups. I use to come here to learn but now I just come here to get entertainment. Now that I'm off my soap box, I hope some day there will be discussion of good matter, I know I have posted some stupid stuff but its over Learn from your mistakes.
    Backdraft663
    As you can see I'm not in a good mood oh well you'll get that sometimes.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Me Too.....................

I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to a bad day once in a while, I know have them. I agree, there has been an increase in people that have a tiny amount of posts to their credit, who tend to go off the deep end. Why?? No idea. Changing times, I guess. But, if those of us who have "been here, done that" for quite a while, keep an eye on things, and stick together, Life will go on. And, the next day might be brighter.

I went back and looked over the past several days threads, there are 3 that have been locked out by the WT, and I think, justifiably so. Common denominator on those 3 threads? Thread starter had less that 50 posts in each case. I am NOT bashing people who only have a few posts, only offering that everyone starting out here should come in easily and on a low key, get a feel for the way things work, and gradually work up. Saves a lot of grief, some days.
    Last edited by hwoods; 12-31-2004 at 09:08 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Some of us with low post numbers have been around the block once or twice and know to come in low key and learn how things work. The amount of people criticizing each other is ridiculus, I try to follow one of the golden rules that I learned "If you don't have something nice to say, do not say anything at all. "

Unhappy Yo...

Thanks for the good posting. Yes it sucks that things get
    sideways in here sometimes. It might help if the webteam
    watched things in here more. Granted, they are not the
    "web police", but it might help.

Some other boards I am at as other responsible users as
    moderators. This helps keep the follow going.

Anyways, thanks for the words.

KJohn, great theory! I know the number of posts here is not necessarily a relation to the amount of job experience. I like seeing the varying thoughts, and I can respect what others say & respectfully disagree and offer my thoughts to the contrary. I think great discussion can be had with the variety of experience (some more and some less than me). We learn by reading & listening to what others say, so that's where the interaction is good. It gets to be a problem when someone thinks there is ONLY one way to do something or that their knowledge/opinion couldn't be wrong. I propose a New Year's resolution for everyone to self-police themselves with posting, not being afraid to offer new/differing thoughts, but to keep the views of others in mind when writing. Good luck, and Happy New Year!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Ryan:
    Believe it or not; some of it is cyclical.
    This website goes through some changes, new members arrive with different perspectives, others get bored with some of the other websites and come back here to fire it up a little, the WT shuts down a couple of threads to gain back the upper hand and through it all, though you have to sift through it, there are still some pretty good discussions going on and many here remain mostly helpful.
    Don't despair. As long as you have something to say and can do so respectfully, only the ones looking for a fight are going to "jump down your throat".
    Best of luck in 2005.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Look at the bright side Ryan....

You could be an emergency worker in Indonesia right now....and life would really suck.

The Forums have their ups and downs. Members come and go. The ones who post those disruptive threads tend to be the ones who go. The ones who post the thought provoking items....usually stick around.

Have a happy 2005!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

People that have a problem here are generally people who have a thin skin or an axe to grind. You cannot expect to attack a group or an organization and not expect to get attacked in return. Also, you cannot expect to post something stupid and not expect to get called on it.

Some subjects, politics and religion come immediately to mind, are very sensitive and will almost always evoke passionate responses. What some people failt ot remember is that because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make it bashing.

I do a little of everything; I teach, I post humor, I post serious discussions and I also bash. If you don't like it, or if you don't like the way others treat you, utilize the ignore funciton and don't read what that person may be saying.

If you don't like the way these threads are run, go to barbie.com. They have far less controversial threads over there.

As far as low posters, everybody starts at 1. But my fur gets up when some idiot with 20 posts comes off with a major chip on their shoulder; usually directed at one of the four digit posters here. I suppose that the four digit posters are no better than anyone else, but you damn sure should come here and do your homework before you start attacking guys that have more time backing the apparatus into the fire house than you do on the job.

Lightbulb

George,
    Are there really threads and forums on barbie.com ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Post counts are always tied directly to the size of your e-penis.

Rigin

Talking sorry..couldn't resist!

Originally posted by Rigin1
    Post counts are always tied directly to the size of your e-penis.

Rigin
    Yours is quite small, I see!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: sorry..couldn't resist!

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Yours is quite small, I see!
    I see yours is extremly large. Makes me wonder what you're attempting to compensate for.

Rigin

This is my second post ever to this forum. Total buttinski. I apologize in advance.

I am a writer and an artist. I am writing a book about firefighters, which is why I registered here.

And now, to the point. I just bailed from a writer and artists' messgae board/forum I had belonged to for a year (with over 4,000 posts!). I left even though I had really enjoyed being a member. Why?

Because, although I really loved it there, and made a lot of good "friendly acquaintances", the whole board fell apart due to infighting, poop-flinging and general flamethrowing between "elder statesmen" members and newbies.

(I am hoping not to find lots of flamethrowing on a firefighters' site but you never know! heh heh heh)

We were getting a lot of people dropping in from "outer space", posting stuff that was mean-natured and insulting, staying just long enough to start a raging "board war" and leaving. We were also getting older members saying that the board wasn't what it used to be and it wasn't much good any more. There were also huge, protracted arguments over what kind of posts were "valuable" and whether or not some people were making "creative contributions" to an "artistic community".

I sure hope nothing like that happens here, but something tells me that human nature being what it is, it happens on ALL message boards.

Since you guys are firefighters and rescue workers and not tortured artists with too much time on their hands, I am HOPING you don't get into a roaring poop fling deluxe over stuff like what color and size text somebody uses. But there again, ya never know.

Anyway, I am not a firefighter but a writer, so I promise never to try to tell you how to do your jobs. I'm just grateful that all of you do. I chimed in on this thread because it struck me as funny that message boards (and people) are pretty much the same wherever you go.

Kind regards,

-- gracie

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyway, I am not a firefighter but a writer
    Then why are you here?

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I am a writer and an artist. I am writing a book about firefighters, which is why I registered here.
    ..that's why she's here, George...Lighten up a little, would ya? You two just might get along great....Hmmm...George and Gracie....got a ring to it...Where have I heard that before?

Besides, there's a lot of non-firefighters here. All are welcome.

And I agree, usually the troublemakers get themselves tossed off of here pretty quick, if they don't have anything constructive to contribute. Kudos to the Webteam for keeping the board orderly and civil...it's a thankless job....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Default Re: Re: sorry..couldn't resist!

Originally posted by Rigin1

I see yours is extremly large. Makes me wonder what you're attempting to compensate for.

Rigin
    My lack of a Porsche 911 in my garage?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Then why are you here?
    Here's why (click).

Originally posted by dmleblanc

..that's why she's here, George...Lighten up a little, would ya? You two just might get along great....Hmmm...George and Gracie....got a ring to it...Where have I heard that before?

Besides, there's a lot of non-firefighters here. All are welcome.

And I agree, usually the troublemakers get themselves tossed off of here pretty quick, if they don't have anything constructive to contribute. Kudos to the Webteam for keeping the board orderly and civil...it's a thankless job....
    Thanks. I promise never to make trouble. However, if trouble should start and you need a hand...

A writer and an artist.........you must have a whole lot of democratic blood in ya.

Originally posted by firefightergtp
    A writer and an artist.........you must have a whole lot of democratic blood in ya.
    heh heh heh -- is that a polite way of saying I'm a donkey?

Thread Information