Default Hello from Cleveland, OH!

Hi, everybody, and Happy New Year!

I am writing a fiction novel about the life of a Cleveland firefighter. The novel takes place in present time and is going to be a look at the issues and life of an average urban firefighter. The protagonist is neither a hero nor a scoundrel; it's not intended to romanticize the firefighting life and culture so much as portray it accurately, but "Sully" is a heart-and-soul firefighter. He's all about The Job when he's on the job, but he manages to get into some interesting scrapes in his personal life (don't we all? ).

Anybody who'd like to check out the (very!) rough draft can see it at http://sullyslife.blogspot.com -- there are probably a lot of technical inaccuracies as well as some inconsistencies (remember -- very rough draft), and the chapters are out of number order, but if you take a look, I hope you enjoy what I have so far.

Feel free to comment or make corrections or suggestions; I appreciate any and all information. I have already received permission from the Assistant Chief for the City of Cleveland to interview at firehouses and have "adopted" an engine company. If I manage to sell the book, I want to donate a portion of the sales to a fallen firefighters' fund, either locally or nationally (wherever it does the most good; I'll look into that when I get that far).

Just wanted to introduce myself; I will be reading the board to gain information, lingo and a sense of accuracy for my characters' actions and just wanted to thank you all for everything you do. My great-grandfather was a firefighter and so are a lot of my cousins, friends and neighbors, and I have to say it truly is so much more than a job; it's a code of honor and a way of life, one I'm proud to portray sympathetically in my book.

Have a safe and happy New Year,

Gracie

Disillusioned Subscriber

Hi Gracie, and welcome to the forums. You should get plenty of "stuff" here to guide the development of your story and its characters.
    I have to say it truly is so much more than a job; it's a code of honor and a way of life,
    You've already got a better grasp of what the job is as a writer than some people do actually working in the fire service. It's all pretty simple really, but seemingly missed by far too many.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to learning lots and getting to know people here. I brought brownies to my "adopted" engine co. on Christmas Day to thank them for answering my pesky questions all the time, but you guys (and gals) are just going to have to settle for my warmest wishes for a happy New Year!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Gracie from a fellow Buckeye. Good luck with the writing. Send me a copy when you are done.

Thanks! You got it! I have seven chapters done so far and am going to see about interviewing the pipers' band down at the training facility after their practice next week to add some authenticity to one of the chapters. The book's hero, "Sully", John Sullivan, has a cousin who was a piper.... well, never mind! I can't give too much away. But you're welcome to read along with what I've posted to the blog so far.

Nice to meet you! I'll keep posting "progress reports" here and when it's done, I'll let you know and you can have a copy.

Take care and stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds good to me!!

Thread Information