Ok, enough with the shooting!

From the Hartford Courant

Firefighters Hope Shooting Saturday Was Random

One Man Wounded At Station As Crew Returns From Alarm

By REGINE LABOSSIERE
Courant Staff Writer

January 2, 2005

A bullet shot into a Hartford fire station early Saturday injured one of six firefighters who had just returned from checking on an alarm.

Jim Malizia, 44, said he was standing near the engine bay door of the District 2 firehouse on Main Street, taking off his gear and putting on his boots, when he and a few others heard a series of gunshots outside the building.

"It happened so quick," Malizia said. "When it hit me on my leg, I went down on one knee. It felt like somebody was hitting me with a hammer."

Malizia said when he looked down at his leg, he didn't see a hole in his pants so he wasn't sure if he'd been shot. But his lower right leg was cut and severely bruised.

Police later confirmed that a bullet went through the engine bay door and ricocheted off Malizia's leg.

The leg swelled up, and firefighters gave Malizia medical attention before taking him to Hartford Hospital, Deputy Fire Chief Michael Ciccarelli said. Malizia was soon released and given a few days off to recuperate.

Malizia said he iced his leg the rest of the night and the swelling had gone down, but it was still sore.

Malizia said the firefighters were upset about the shooting, even though police believe it wasn't aimed at them.

"You never expect this at the firehouse," Malizia said. "When you're in a firehouse, it's a safe confine. ... I think the guys were [ticked] off that this happened at the firehouse."

Ciccarelli called the shooting odd and unfortunate.

"We're just hoping that it's a random act of violence and certainly not targeting firefighters," Ciccarelli said.

He said that in his more than two decades in the fire department, he has heard of firefighters being at the center of random shootings, but never inside a fire station.

"It is a place where other people seek refuge as well," Ciccarelli said. "It's not uncommon to see kids inside or outside of the fire station. I could see why [the firefighters] would be ticked off about it."

Ciccarelli said as soon as Malizia was taken care of, everything was business as usual and the station is going to move on from this incident.

"Hopefully, it's the last one for a while," he said.