Forum Member

Question How Many Have Apparatus Nicknames?

How many of your departments or organizations have apparatus with nicknames lettered on the apparatus? And what are the nicknames?
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Jackson Hose No. 3 in Nyack, NY has "GREEN HORNET" written over the windshield of their Kelly green and gold Hahn pumper.

It matches the green leather helmets they wear

-bob-

Forum Member

There is a spare pumper in my region that is the old 2nd pumper from one of the busy inner-suburbian stations..... Was involved in an accident and unfortunately, killed the occupant of the car it hit..... That trucks nickname is Christine..... not sure why ;-)

Forum Member

Ours is affectionately know as "A piece of crap"

Lt. Robert Kramer
    Engine Co. 34-A
    Memphis Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we don't have any of the names on the trucks with decals, but we had a truck called the 6 pack, and then we have one named the orange truck. Other than that they all have a unit number.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with the Lt.

I'd get booted off the boards if I used the nicknames for our particular engine, especially if we're going south out of the station. I've had people using walkers flipping me the bird because we were holding them up going up the hill...

The guys with the newest engine have called their's the Pride of the department, but since they tore half of the driver's side apparatus body off the other day, I'm not sure that name will stick either.
    Last edited by npfd801; 01-03-2005 at 02:36 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have "The Workhorse Company" on all of our apparatus along with our logo. Our 1991 E-One 103' Bronto has a nick name. It's called "Out Of Service". Well, that's what the sign stuck to it all the time says...we usually just refer to it as "Flamaing Piece of S***" though.
    Last edited by mglax13; 01-03-2005 at 04:13 AM.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a old truck it was 1949 military surplus truck we put a bars on it sort of like the brush truck below that we called Old Raggity...The name came about when there was a forest fire in our area. the state forest fire service came out with their small power wagon type brush trucks and couldn't make it thru the thick brush towards the fire so we entered into the woods with a version of this truck and they made and comment "what are you gonna do with that old raggity truck"...well to make long story short we made it thru and chased down the the head fire with that truck...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

We call ours Engine, Truck & Squad

Nicknames for rigs doesnt seem to be popular in my area. The only one I know of is a local department that calls one of its reserve engines "Little Squirt" cause it has a real short wheelbase.

Cool idea, maybe Ill bring up the idea at the next union meeting.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Where I work we used to have a '75 engine made by Luverne, so it was just called "the Luverne"....then some smart alec named the other engine "Shirley". Shirley was gone when I arrived, but there was a ladder truck purchased in '80 or so, and it was called "Squiggy" (there was a decal on the front bumper that said "Squiggy") I guess if Laverne & Shirley had stayed on the air longer we probably would have continued that theme...thank goodness that didn't happen...

In my volly department we have a "Sparky" (with a little dalmatian painted on the sides, now retired, though) and "Smokey", a 1970 Darley still in service at one of our substations. "Smokey" has a painting of Smokey the Bear on both sides on the compartment doors.

We also have an '80 Pierce mini-pumper with "Quick Attack" painted on both front fenders....don't know if that really qualifies as a nickname....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

we have one that we call P.O.S.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Officially all ours have unit numbers, but we have small decals on two of them..... We have a tanker named "Big Ben", that was named in honor of a former chief who died, then we have our Polaris Ranger ATV which we call "Squirt" cuz it has a 30 gallon tank and uses a garden hose...

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup..........................

Our 2004 Pierce has "Blitz Crew" over top of the windshield. Although not lettered, other apparatus have nicknames too, the 1992 Seagrave Tower Ladder is "The White Whale" (Color and size) or "The Lead Sled" (Speed or lack thereof) The Squad is sometimes referred to as "The Big Yellow Toolbox" and, although lettered "Rescue Wagon", the Rescue Engine has Lots of Names, none suitable for a Family thread. We've been known as "The Blitz Crew" since we worked on creating an operation where we would show up and drown the Fire, instantly, back in the mid 60s. Some of our Apparatus of that time was, well, different. 1.5 hose on reels, An all wheel drive engine with 3.5 supply line, 3 master stream devices, and a 3.0 preconnect attack line were among our inventions. I actually pulled up to a small building that was well involved, hit it with 2 deck gun streams from the tank, and the damn thing fell over. The 4X4 was an International Conventional 4 door cab, and our first Yellow unit. It quickly became "The State Roads Truck" since MdDoT had a big bunch of them. Our best was "Tower Power" on the 1970 Sutphen 95' Tower Ladder. On a lot of Fires, we would run the Bucket into the building at ground level (loading dock door, or take out big windows) and walk it in with both guns flowing as much as we could push thru it. Fires would go out. Quickly.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Wink

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
    Ours is affectionately know as "A piece of crap"

Lt. Robert Kramer
    Engine Co. 34-A
    Memphis Fire Department

Must be a E-ONE!!!!!!!

As long as you are forced to buy E-Ones you will have a peice of crap to work with.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Talking

We have one we CALL a{tow truck}for alot!It,s a Pierce pulling a KME.

MembersZone Subscriber

Big Red a pumper that has a 2000 gal tank.
    Little Red a pumper that has a 1200 gal tank.
    We did have a "granny" a 1951 bruco. That we traded for Little Red a 1972 GMC.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our vacuum tanker - essentially the same critter used to clean out septic tanks - is occasionally referred to as The Suck Truck.

(It actually is quite nice.)
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Well currently my department is waiting for the arrival of our new tower ladder, and a neighboring town gave us their reserve aerial...well the aerial ladder didnt pass the ladder tests and is out of service, the truck is rusted and everything, the reverse horn sounds like a dieing animal, etc....so we put a sign in the cab thats hanging which reads "Rent-A-Wreck".

Our regular truck with a Aerial which is a beautiful recent truck has a sign thats mounted to the frame on the back bumper which reads "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".

My Engine Company has a sign on the side in one of the windows that says "2nd To None" and we call ourselves "Elite Engine Company Seven" and that is put on all our paperwork, rosters, and everything we submit for the most part.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Altough all these nicknames dont do too much for me, I found this pretty funny. I remember a story about a Brooklyn truck that had "Nobody does it better" written on their tower ladder boom. So a nearby truck they run in with alot, wrote on their rig.."we're nobody" I forget the companies, but pretty funny.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by MattyJ
    Altough all these nicknames dont do too much for me, I found this pretty funny. I remember a story about a Brooklyn truck that had "Nobody does it better" written on their tower ladder boom. So a nearby truck they run in with alot, wrote on their rig.."we're nobody" I forget the companies, but pretty funny.
    On a fire apparatus calendar I had a few years ago, one of the months featured a truck company. The slogan painted above the windshield was "Cancel The Engine." I love a little rivalry.

Forum Member

Talking

As the only department in our county to have apparatus that is painted white, we came up with some clever nicknames for our latest additions. When our 1999 ALF/Ferrara Engine arrived, we named it, "Casper" (as in the cartoon character)along with an image of Casper in a fire helmet added to the graphics.

When the new ALF/LTI Aeriel arrived, we looked for the names of the other ghosts from the Casper cartoon and found that "Stretch" was the perfect one to name that truck after. So, there is an image of "Stretch" with a helmet on climbing a ladder on that truck.

We are left with "Stinky" and "Fatty" as the final two ghost characters. We might see them show up on our tanker and the new rescue that just arrived but is not in service yet.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

I once worked on a company that was assigned an E-One Quint. That thing was the biggest POS I've ever worked on...

Well the rig was OOS sooooo much (more than 1/2 the year) that we called oureselves "Lemon Ladder Four"

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Lets see...

Engine 2 is "Pete." Twin with Engine 4, but is older by a few years.

Engine 4 is "Re-Pete" (copy of Engine 2) and has "SIZE DOES MATTER" on the side (2000 gallon tank, 2150 gpm pump).

Engine 5 is "Pumpernickel." Kinda a play on words.

Ladder 1 is "Tower of Power" and "Big Iron." Used to be the only green truck in the fleet, so we had the Kermit with "It ain't easy bein' green" painted on the side.

Rescue 40 is affectionately refered to as "Colsac II." Those from this area of Wisconsin will know why that is.

The First Air Response Team is known as FART 1.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

A couple of depts around me name there trucks, one company had twin eng.'s they were named sugar and spice, another co. has "born to run", and a bunch of others i dont remember.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Thread Information