Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Default Champaign Illinois

Is anyone testing for Champaign or knows how many (if any)openings there might be in the next 2 years?

thanks,

fieldseng2

Forum Member

From talking to a member of CFD, he said that they are going to be opening a new station in the next couple of years and will be looking to add 6 to 10 firefighters, plus what they replace from attrition.
    bunnie

IACOJ by choice; Flatlander by the grace of God.

Thanks for the info.

Any idea how many uniformed personnel they have now? Min. Staffing on the companies?

Thanks

fieldseng2

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Re: Champaign Illinois

Originally posted by fieldseng2
    Is anyone testing for Champaign or knows how many (if any)openings there might be in the next 2 years?

thanks,

fieldseng2

Fieldseng2.......Applications being accepted now.......

Fire Fighter: Applications to test will be accepted Monday, December 6, 2004 through 4:00 PM Friday, January 14, 2005. Visit: www.ci.champaign.il.us to get more info.

Yes I know. Sorry jmylea, I should have read further to see it was already posted. I actually tested there 4 years ago. I did pretty good but, I didn't have the military or college points to get high enough to be in the running for an opening.

I was just curious how many FFs they have on the roster now. I don't believe thier web site is current with that info. Any idea what thier min. manning on each company is?

Hopefully I can repeat my performance, but have better luck with them opening a new house.

Thanks,

fieldseng2

MembersZone Subscriber

Fieldseng2
    Sorry, but I can't answer your question. I would suggest contacting the Village Hall or the Fire Department (although some departments don't like to be contacted). Are you currently a Fire/Medic? Some departments give points for having the necessary credentials or tend to lean towards Fire/Medic's so they don't have to send them to the academy or medic school. That isn't always the case.
    I wish I could be of more help. Don't let anything discourage you, go for it and Good Luck!

Ya, Im a FF/EMT. Ive been full time for 12 years where I'm at now. I was a volly for 5 yrs. prior. I have IN and IL certs.

Champaign does not give credit for any of that. They do, however, give military points as well as those who have a college degree in certain fields. Including law enfrocement if you can believe that.

I have family in Champaign so it would be great to move there. From what I remember they are a pretty progressive FD. I just cant remember what thier numbers are. I swore I read they have 150 FFs, but thier website said somewhere in the 80's. Just curious if anyone had current numbers.

I'll probably test. Still waiting for a big city FD to call my number. I'm within hiring range there, but they haven't hired anyone in 2 years. The chief keeps asking for replacements (around 120), but the mayor won't give him the green light.

Thanks,

fieldseng2

Let's see if I can answer all the questions:

On this list there will probably be in excess of 15 openings. The city SHOULD hire 12 to open Station 6 and then a handful of openings to fill retirements. I would not be suprised to see this list go 20 deep.
    We currently have 29 suppression personnel per shift. They staff 5 Engines, 2 Trucks, 1 Heavy Rescue, and a Command Car. Station 6 with another Engine will open on this list. Our minimum manning per shift is 24. That puts 3 people per company except one Truck with 2 and the command car with 1. There are 3 DC's on 40 hour weeks and the Chief. Add in a couple inspectors, pub ed, and admin and I believe the department is 106.
    The city gives points for military experience and education. I do not know for sure their criteria on either. I do not know if you had to serve during wartime or what fields or # of years the degree has to be. You would have to check with personnel on that.
    That being said while there are not points awarded for experience or certifications I do think it helps. We seem to hire a lot of people with some background in the fire service. I believe someone mentioned if you have your EMT you will most likely be able to come on shift after academy. Even if you have FFII you will still have to go to an academy unless you have been to an academy that meets the departments approval.
    If anyone has any other questions just ask!

GOOD LUCK and STAY SAFE!
    Last edited by anonymous1995; 01-04-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks for the info. Not sure how far up that list I can get w/out college or military, but I think Im gonna give it a shot.

You gotta play to win.

fieldseng2

Thread Information