Unhappy What are we doing wrong???

Have tried for 2yrs now to get a Fire Act Grant...Still no luck...
    I have seen other departments on here getting 2 or 3 grants...Where have we gone wrong

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know... What's your department characteristics, call volume, and what are you asking for? What's your reasoning for why you need it?

Give us this information and I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on what may be the problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just echoing what jpsmith2 said....Have you made it to the peer review? What were you applying for...what about your narrative...there's ton's of things that you can look at.

Forum Member

What are we doing wrong
    Don't ask me, we're 0 for 4.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't take my word for it but my volunteer dept has only rec'd one grant out of three. Career has rec'd 2/2. Rumor around here says last year was firefighter safety. Also, when you apply request one thing or things of the same topic. The Vol. dept requested numerous items in different categories. When we went for just SCBA's and Compressor we were approved. Not that I'm an expert... but narrow it down to a few items. AND GET HELP WRITING YOUR GRANT! It may be a professional grant writer or another close dept, but get help.

Firemedic
    St Louis County Missouri
    IAFF Local 2665
    STL Co Fire/Medic

Forum Member

I'm with firemedic1980. The guidance says that there are "x" number of program areas, and to only apply for items within one of those areas. If you write up an app for a vehicle, turnout gear and SCBAs you'll get turned down.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not really a great example since the web site won't let you apply for a vehicle and anything else. But the message is basically correct, if you apply for everything under the sun to make you a stereotypically prepared fire department, expect rejection. Pick a few highly needed items and concentrate on that stuff, you'll do better.

And Something always beats nothing, which is why I keep losing at poker. 4 flush off the flop can't get another &%$(&$^ suited card!
    :-0

MembersZone Subscriber

As a freelance grant writer in the industry, let me add that attending ANY and ALL FEMA/DHS workshops that are offered will help ALOT. You can get FREE direction about what areas they recommend (usually firefighter safety or fire prevention). Also, they will instruct you to look to the most needed items for your dept. and district.

I frequently advise my departments to not look at necessarily the most 'big ticket' items, but the ones that will impact your firefighters as far as safety or services provided to the community.

In my experience (5 years of writing AFG, FP and other Federal grants) the guys at DHS/FEMA want to see the big need and 'biggest bang for their buck' in my opinion. If you write a comepelling, ACCURATE (don't fudge the facts or try and pad your stats) and informative narrative (1-2 pages in length - shorter the better) and your info matches what you write...you have a good chance.

Also, since you have been turned down the past several times, did you follow up with a Fire Prevention application? Many depts overlook this valuable grant to add funds to your community in the area of fire prevention.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dixiechicknc
    As a freelance grant writer in the industry, let me add that attending ANY and ALL FEMA/DHS workshops that are offered will help ALOT. You can get FREE direction about what areas they recommend (usually firefighter safety or fire prevention). Also, they will instruct you to look to the most needed items for your dept. and district.
    I am in total agreement. The grant workshop is absolutely a must do for anyone writing a grant. The workshops I have attended are probably 70% responsible for structuring my narrative and request the way I have. It is really the only time you can get needed information from "the horses mouth".

The other things (and these are stressed in the workshop) is to read and learn the program guidence and final rule....One of the presenters actually suggested memorizing them

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me add that I spoke with one of my FEMA contacts today for quite a while. He stated we're slated to have regional workshops in February. Contact your local FEMA region for more info. Also, he said this years ONLINE guideline is supposed to be far superior to any previous years, and contain valuable info, for those who can't get to a class. On his word, it has been totally revamped (the online assistance).

Start looking for those classes ASAP!

MembersZone Subscriber

We have no idea either. We had our grant written by the individual who had the Number 2 rated grant in the country in 2003, and were denied on all 3 levels. Go figure. As you said, there are departments who have received several grants already. we have written to our Senators and Congressmaen for answers......as of yet, no reply.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Since this is a highly obvious statement that anyone can figure out, I don't consider it a hint and bad business against those that have/will/are paying me to write their grant:

If you don't make it past computer scoring, obviously it's not your narrative, it's your project.

I had a client in the northeast that was denied all years asking for something in particular. Being that I'm a software developer (nerd) and I don't think like normal humans (according to my wife anyway), I altered their project and got them a grant worth 3 times their annual budget. I turned down offers to write grants for people that wanted me to write a narrative for a project I knew wouldn't pass computer scoring. Why waste my time on something that won't succeed? Don't get me wrong, I wished them the best and hoped I would be wrong. But considering all 4 of them got Dear John's in the first round, meaning they didn't make it past the computer, unfortunately I was right.

No matter who you get to write your grant, if they don't analyze you project for the possibility of success, they just want your money. Me, I want departments to get their money back from FEMA for my fees. That way they paid net 0 for my help.

But enough chit-chat. It's Friday, it was payday, and I'm out of here in an hour. WHOOOHOOOO!!

Thumbs up Thank You all!

Thanks for all the help! Sure does help out ALOT! BC79'er you keep up the good work. I read alot of your post and you seem to know whats go'in on. The next question is when is next years grants going to be become avaliable?
    We have in the recent years applied for SCBA's and PPE. Our SCBA's were manufactured in 1985 (that is the newest one) and earlier years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Thank You all!

Originally posted by chiefmaden
    . The next question is when is next years grants going to be become avaliable?
    All indications are that the period should run through the month of March as usual.

Thread Information