MembersZone Subscriber

Default Backboards on Engines

How many departments have a backboard and collars on their engines?

Forum Member

We don't due to the space issue...Although I think we should seeing as its our First Due on all MVA's..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

we rarely have a incident where we need it, but the incident occured where we needed them and didn't have them. Now our Deputy is making a big deal about having them on the Engine. 3 out of our 4 engines have the backboard setup.
    Last edited by UFDFF15; 01-04-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Forum Member

We have a min. of 2 spineboards and a complete set of c-collars and head beds on each apparatus. You never know when you will need them. We use them often. My opinion is all trucks should have atleast 1 spineboard and a set of collars. It just makes good sense. Like it or not EMS is a big part of the fire service and will only become a bigger part as time goes by.
    Last edited by flfirefighter78; 01-04-2005 at 08:36 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our engine rolls first for MVAs so it has always had a backboard. We added a Stokes basket when we put our RIT equipment on it so we made some runners over the 3" hosebed for the Stokes. We keep the backboard inside it.

Edit: The runners are 4" wide L-shaped aluminum strips that are a little longer than the stokes. We put rubber stops on the forward end. The hose bed cover holds it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WTFD10; 01-04-2005 at 08:59 AM.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Let's talk fire trucks!

At work, every engine, truck, and heavy rescue carries at least one backboard (often more), along with C-Collars and all of the other necessary to be licensed as an ALS non-trasnport vehicle.

At the VFD, we carry backboards, C-Collars, and all of the other necessary equipment to be licensed as a BLS non-transport unit. This equipment is carried on our engine, heavy rescue, and EMS first-response vehicle (a Chevrolet Suburban).

Having the board, collars, and other EMS equipment on baord helps us provide necessary patient care until arrival of the ambulance...

Forum Member

We have backboards on our engines.

Forum Member

At work, every engine, truck, and heavy rescue carries at least one backboard (often more), along with C-Collars and all of the other necessary to be licensed as an ALS non-trasnport vehicle.
    Ditto.

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

We have full immobilization equipment on all of our trucks.

Backboard
    Straps
    Collar
    CID's

When we use one of the above on the scene, we restock off the
    medic when they get there.
    FF / EMT-IV
    Public Education Cordinator
    wwww.firemarshall.net

Forum Member

Same here.

Forum Member

0, we don't run on BLS calls and are not trained on it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

we used to have our own backboards. then they kept disappearing at the hospitals. now all of our frontline engines have a backboard that was "lent" to us by the rescue squad. we also have collars, CIDs and a jumpkit and O2. if we use one on a call, EMS gives us another one.

btw, we don't respond to any EMS calls, but it's nice to have the equipment if we are first on scene before EMS arrives. only EMTs or other people trained in how to use the equipment use it.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Used too -- back then we didn't have the ambulances, and the Engine-Tank was the backup if the Rescue was already on a call. Today the Service (mini-pumper) does that role.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up A Bunch.................

You never know what's going to appear first, at an event where a board is needed. We carry boards on the big stuff, and the ambulances. 6 on the Heavy Rescue, 4 each on the Rescue Engine, and the ALS and BLS Ambulances. New Engine is being discussed, 1 on the Tower Ladder, Yeah, you guessed it, in the Stokes Basket. We don't own any boards, and don't mark any, just pick them up from the Hospital as we need them.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We don't have a backboard on our engine, oh wait, we don't have an engine.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

We do not carry backboards on our engines as our heavy or light rescue vehicles handle all the EMS runs and are always first out to MVAs. WE are in the process of adding jumpkits to all our engines and service trucks as they are rare occasions are out and about and are the closest unit to an EMS response.

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry them on all of our apparatus. While they don't get used often, there are times when we have to wait a significant amount of time for the ambulance and we can have the patient packaged by the time they arrive.

MembersZone Subscriber

On our primary piece to MVAs, we have a full first aid kit, adjustable adult and pedi collars, head roll and two backboards. Having EMS experience, I like to try to have patient packaged with a full history and baseline vitals for the rig if they are not there before us.

Forum Member

All supression apparatus have them........we also have 2 ALS equipped units.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have one on 2 of 3 engines, the rescue and, of course, the meat wagons.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Both of our ambulances carry a backboard and a Miller board plus a bag of C-spine equipment (at least a dozen collars, head beds, tape, etc.). No C-spine equipment on the engines because the ambulance will almost always be on-scene first.

We do have a number of spare boards at the station (for when one gets left at the hospital with a patient), so if we had a big MCI, we could grab them and put them in the utility or on an engine.

We do carry a backboard and a Stokes on the truck for rope rescue.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

Arrow

We don't carry backboards or collars on the engines.

Our rescue unit, first on all car wrecks and rescues, carries a very well-stocked jump kit, backboard, collars, and stokes basket. I'm trying to talk the dept. into purchasing some more immobilization equipment for the rescue, that we could use in tighter places and for extrications since a long backboard in those situations can sometimes be a pain in the...

Our 2 engines carry pretty good jump kits, and the brush has a very limited first aid kit for run-ins with sticker bushes. Nothing on the tanker or boat for medical...not even a Band-Aid.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

We have a stokes basket with a spine board strapped to the hose bed of our first our pumper. C-collars, first responder medical bag and O2 bag are kept in a compartment behind the drivers side of the cab. These don't get much use since our Rescue truck and backup ems/brushtruck usually run to all EMS pages or wrecks.

Early Adopter

Arrow Count us in

In another lifetime, my department ran transport EMS (we got out of the ambulance business in the mid 1990s). I think they just took everything that was on the ambulance and spread it out among the supression rigs in the fleet. This was a good thing in that we provide a much better BLS service than most engine companies in the area. It's bad in that we have stuff we'll never use (i.e. KEDs) taking up cabinet space.

We do carry long spine boards on our primary engine, our reserve engine and a jack-of-all-trades brush truck. I've used them before on multi-victim MVAs when the third-party ambulance didn't have all of its boards. Other shifts have used ours when the ambulance had extended response times. Of course, we are in a metropolitan area and our patients can be transported to a number of hospitals. We've had to hunt down a missing backboard (or, more specifically, the spider straps that go with it) more than once.

Forum Member

Anything we have first due on a MVA has a kit and a backboard.They are very well marked and the hospital hasn't lost one yet. T.C.

Thread Information