Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first fire!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking My first fire!

Whoo Hooo, I finally went in! I've been a (paid) medic/FF for about a year and half now and I finally went into my first fire. Yeah, I went into allot of house fires in the training academy, but this was the real thing. WOW, what an experience. I didn't have time to be nervous and it was over so fast. Maybe it was the adrenaline rush. I did, however fall through the floor, only about three feet; and after a few men did. I'm only 5'2" (and 105 LBS of lean muscle (jk) and was afraid some of the guys would push me aside but they were great! They really pushed to get me involved in everything. The BEST was tearing the walls apart during overhaul. The house was completely gone, so there wasn't much to conserve. I think I'm just a little "over excited". I go to several false alarms, CO2, and allot of medic calls per shift and knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, and it DID! OK, I'm done bragging!!!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

how long did your air bottle last?

congrats on your first fire.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thumbs up

Congrats on your first house fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD
    how long did your air bottle last?
    It lasted "about" 15 minutes. I tried to use a little air during some of the overhaul (the smoke was still pretty thick) but there wasn't much left in the bottle. The skip breathing method didn't work as I didn't think about breathing techniques, I know I shouldn't forget about it though.
    It took us about 2 minutes to find the door into the house, but it felt like an hour. The house owners built a porch in front of their porch(??) and the door to the first porch covered the second porch door (if that makes sense)? When we got in it was already thick and the fire, in the rear, was going pretty good. As soon as one of the guys ventilated from outside (broke a few windows)the fire spread pretty fast. Needless to say we got pulled out of the fire fast, as the fire started to come out on three sides. Literally, within minutes (OK maybe a little longer) of us getting out, the house was in a blaze. Lot's of water used and it was so cold out (19 degrees) we all looked like snowmen!

Congrats.
    The BEST was tearing the walls apart during overhaul.
    Are you serious?? Boy, we could sure use somebody like that here!

Forum Member

Congrats on the cherry pop!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Guy's!!

When the fire call came; as a confirmed fire, the guy's all ran yelling "Let's play." You would think Santa was coming for them. For me, I think I was a little more nervous at first. Well after the fire, cleaning all the equipment; rinsing the hose, defrosting the tools etc....The guy's were all pumped up and ready for the next call. I on the other hand wanted to take a nap. The next day, well let me tell you, my body was sore. I work out allot, w/ weights, but I think I used muscles that I didn't know existed. My butt and shoulders were in shock.

One other thing I would like to comment on, since I'm still on my soap box.....
    You guy's are awesome and I'm am in such awe for what you do. I know I'm in the same profession, but I must make a statement when one is needed. Some of the men I have met have been nothing but professional and helpful. Of corse I get these few that are quite the opposite, but it makes for some good drama, I love the drama

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations on your first job. I'm surprised you wanted to take a nap after that! I guess the adrenaline was all used up when you were ripping down walls

Thumbs up

Ohhhh...there's no going back now...if you enjoyed it, you're in it for the long haul.

Congrats!

Haha, and don't feel bad, after my first fire I think I napped in the engine on the way back to the station...either that or I was so excited I just don't remember the return trip.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Co11FireGal! I'm glad I'm not the only one who ever felt that way. It was a great experience. It made me a little smarter and wiser for the next one and there will be a next one, it's just a matter of time. Tick Tock......

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

Congrats!

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats Sister! Mate of mine just made his first house fire in the last few days - but it's taken him 3.5 years to catch one He's the living definition of a whitecloud!

Good to see plenty of enthusiasm! Especially a new FF who is enthusiastic about overhaul, instead of hiding somewhere once the fire is out and there is still work to be done.
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 01-07-2005 at 11:29 PM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Default ..........

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Forum Member

Congrats!!!!!

I'm still waiting on mine
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Default Dont forget...

You owe ice cream...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote...
    "No offense, but that is a long *** time to be on a paid dept and not catch a job..."
    Unquote...

You are correct, I was pretty lucky...I would have had one prior to this fire, but I got called away due to someone calling the ambualnce because of flu symptoms; turned out to be a drug addict on a 24 hour cocain fest.

Quote...
    ow that you have popped the peverbial fire cherry you just may be your depts new black cloud.
    Unquote...

Funny, the guys call me the black cloud because ever since I've been on shift we get medic calls all night long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jmylea
    Funny, the guys call me the black cloud because ever since I've been on shift we get medic calls all night long.
    But if you are bring heaps of medic calls to the house then shouldn't you be called a "red-and-white cloud"?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Talking Congrats

I remember my first call I got,it was a polebarn fire. I got out of the rig and I was in awe, that was the first time I understood what my job was. But the building was a lost (and so were the nice cars inside), but still I realized how important I am to the community. To this day I do my best to answer to every call. Congrats again!!

Congrats!!

I'm so jealous I want to be a FF so bad, but I have no clue where to start =/... I hear that you have to be an EMT before becoming a FF? Is that true?

Smile How to be

All I did was I went up the the station and asked for an application. I have no EMT training what so ever, I am Basic Life Support CPR trained and I have a first aid card, that's about it. But, I had to go through a back ground check, physical, and agility testing. Not that hard. It also, I guess depends on where you are at. Not all departments are like that. Good luck, and I hope you exceed!!!

Thread Information