Thread: wildland Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wildland Alaska

I am a structural firefighter in Michigan, and in a year I will be moving to Alaska. I wanted to transition into wildland, and I was wonding if anyone had info on wildland firefighting in Alaska, or the testing and certification?
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Answers?

What do you need to know big guy? I will try to fill you in.
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

what department would I contact to find out about training and employment? how hard is it to be hired as a full time wildland firefigher?

MembersZone Subscriber

In Alaska there are no fulltime wildland ff, however there are seasonal fulltime which equals to 4 to 5 months a year. I should say there are some Tech IV's that work year round doing things. The levels in the state are ff, sqaud boss, crew boss for being on a crew, then there is Tech II, Tech III, Tech IV, and these are the guys who do helitack, engine boss, intial attack, fire prevention, training, permits etc and how long they work depends on the season. If you want more information call 907-761-6389 and talk to my wife she is the admin for state forestry.

BLM is different and I think they only have hand crews im not sure, you could look it up on the net.

If you are full time structural I would consider yourself lucky, there are only a few departments in this state that have paid ff.

Testing and certification.... for.... To be an EFF you have to take a class and pass the pack test then you are certified to be a wildland ff. Certifications would be considers qualifications and they would be put on the red card. The more classes you take the more you have.

Your questions are not to clear if you want to be more specific I could try to help.
    later
    burn

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tool

toole I hope I didn't take the O2 from your fire. Did I answer your questions?
    burn

MembersZone Subscriber

you certainly did, thanks for the info. I think my goal's might be a little unrealistic looks like I need to get a real job too
    Thnk's

Thread Information