MembersZone Subscriber

Question is the Bourke Eyeshield miosha approved

i am on a volunteer dept. and i just got Cairns 1010 helmet with the bourke eyeshield...i have already been to a structure fire with it and no one said anything. i also saw another firefighter from a different dept. at that fire w/ the bourkes eyeshield. last night my capt. called me and said that if we r on mutual aid with a certain FD in our area that i should wear my old helmet w/ the face sheild because their cheif says the bourkes is not miosha approved.....my cheif is checking into this also...but i was just curious.
    Last edited by firefighter870; 01-04-2005 at 08:57 PM.
    9-11 we must never forget
    Thank god for the blood of heroes

Scott
    Firefighter/EMT
    FAVFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure about MIOSHA but they are not NFPA compliant....but neither is a helmet with just a faceshield. Faceshields are considered secondary eye protection. Goggles, safety glasses or the SCBA facepiece in conjunction with the faceshield make them compliant. I'm sure Cairns has the 1010 with goggles certified to NFPA 1971. Ask your Captain if the addition of goggles will solve the problem.

Here's some more info from Bullard's website:

http://firefighting.bullard.com/helm...BookTech01.cfm

Technical Bulletin - Bourke Eyeshields
    Bourke style eyeshields continue to have a presence in the structural fire helmet industry. This spring-loaded, flip-up style visor has been a popular alternative for contemporary faceshields when worn on U.S. Traditional Styled fire helmets.

The following information is designed to address the common questions that accompany this specific visor:

Bourke style visors render ANY fire helmet non-compliant to NFPA structural fire helmet standards.

Bullard Company will permit the installation of Bourke style visors on Bullard fire helmets.

The installation of Bourke style visors on Bullard fire helmets will not void Bullardís warranty against workmanship and defects in materials.

If a Bullard helmet cracks at the mounting holes required for installation of a Bourke style visor, Bullard would not be held accountable.

A Bullard fire helmet that has been certified to the requirements of NFPA 1971 with goggles, may remain compliant with the ADDITION of a Bourke style visor.

Bullard Company agrees with the decision that was made by the Technical Committee of NFPA 1971 on the issue of Bourke style visors. It is our opinion that this design does not provide adequate eye and face protection to the firefighter. We are more concerned with safety than cosmetic image. Vanity can be a dangerous associate.
    Also do a search in the Firefighters Forum for Bourkes...this is a popular topic.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks alot
    9-11 we must never forget
    Thank god for the blood of heroes

Scott
    Firefighter/EMT
    FAVFD

Thread Information