+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: Game On???

Forum Member

Default Game On???

Whats the feeling out there? Are the NHL and NHLPA going to get this thing fixed or are we in for a long, cold, empty winter?

Come on guys, get it done...PLEASE

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I think we are done dude............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I think hockey is done for this year.

For entertainment, please amuse yourself and others on the threads:
    1. It was a dark and stormy night
    2. After hours Pub

We've gotta keep active, ya know

Hubby and I broke down and signed up for the Center Ice package through Adelphia last year and we saw 30 games a week. We are suffering severe withdrawal!

Mr. Husband has played in men's leagues around town and has been on the ice about 30 years, starting in Jr. High. I came late to the party and didn't become a fan until after we were married, some 15 years ago. Now I'm a diehard fan and love the Red Wings, the Devils and the Flames. I even got a Brendan Shanahan CCM jersey for my birthday last year. I also loved playing Fantasy Hockey on Yahoo! the last few years. It was a lot of fun and I really miss it.

This lockout, according to Mr. Husband, is probably not going to end in time for there to be a season this Spring and may not even be resolved by next Fall (gulp!). Sure hope that's wrong, but it looks like he may be right.

Oh, well; it gives me more time to work on the FF book....

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me preface this by saying that I am a diehard Rangers fan-Potvin Sucks. I bleed red, white and blue.

I posted in another thread that this strikce may be the death of the NHL as we know it. The teams are insured-this year. They are a business. When a business has no income, it cannot operate.

The players are getting a strike stipend from the NHLPA-this year. They are professionals and need to work to bread on the table. Many of them have found work elsewhere. Some will never come back.

Bettman has taken a hard line. The NHLPA has taken a hard line. There is no room for compromise at this time because the sides are diametrically opposed. Methinks that Bettman's goal is to break the union.

What I see happening is for the teams to termiinate all contracts and cut the players loose. They will then try to rebuild the league using junior, international and IHL players. It will take awhile. I guess the stars could come craeling back.

But I think the NHL as we have known it is gone forever.

You and Mr. Husband agree on this one, George.

Permanently Removed

I think that plenty of people think that this season is done for...and it's a bummer I agree; but here's another question. Do you really agree with why the players went on strike in the first place?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

They didn't go on strike, the owner's locked them out.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

First, the players didn't go on strike, they were locked out.

That being said, I think most people, particularly those in Canada are supporting the owners. The belief is that ticket prices are solely controlled by salaries.

At issue is the salary cap and most people believe that a salary cap would make for a more level playing field. The NFL experience would in fact support that belief. Most fans are tired of the Detroit Red Wings approach, sell enough pizzas and buy all the stars. This however is just one problem plagueing the NHL.

Many people watching the game today believe that we need to look at many ways to fix the game. The World Junior Tournament has once again drsawn attention to rule changes to improve the game. Getting rid of the centre line is a start.

Will the game survive? I believe it will.

Will the game survive without scars? I doubt it.

The bottom line is that, hockey as we know it will certainly change. If at the end of the day, cheque book recruiting is gone, then it will have been worth it. If there is no cap, the the pizza folks in Detroit win and then as I see it, the game I grew up playing and watching, is doomed.

Forum Member

Potvin Sucks
    Oh, how I miss that chant.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Yeah....I'd say were done...
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Originally posted by manofire2
    First, the players didn't go on strike, they were locked out.

That being said, I think most people, particularly those in Canada are supporting the owners. The belief is that ticket prices are solely controlled by salaries.

At issue is the salary cap and most people believe that a salary cap would make for a more level playing field. The NFL experience would in fact support that belief. Most fans are tired of the Detroit Red Wings approach, sell enough pizzas and buy all the stars. This however is just one problem plagueing the NHL.

Many people watching the game today believe that we need to look at many ways to fix the game. The World Junior Tournament has once again drsawn attention to rule changes to improve the game. Getting rid of the centre line is a start.

Will the game survive? I believe it will.

Will the game survive without scars? I doubt it.

The bottom line is that, hockey as we know it will certainly change. If at the end of the day, cheque book recruiting is gone, then it will have been worth it. If there is no cap, the the pizza folks in Detroit win and then as I see it, the game I grew up playing and watching, is doomed.
    I hope you're wrong

One thing that hasn't been reported in the news and I haven't had time to go looking for it ... has there been an actual dollar figure mentioned for the salary cap?

I don't see much hope for a season this year, not when the two sides don't even talk to each other. This ****es me off even more now that my beloved Flames finally got their S**T together. I'll be choked if there is no hockey next year. *whimper* *sob* *sniffle* *sigh*

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I just got some good news...they may stike a deal by the Feb 1 deadline....that's enough time for a 30 game season....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Don't tease us like that, Vinnie!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thank god I live in Canada...We got plenty of good hockey....CHL is top notch with all the up and coming stars...All the Junior leagues..Hell even Midget AAA is entertaining...So I say to hell with the NHL
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

We have taken our hockey enthusiasm to a different arena. On Wed, we went to the Prince Albert FF VS Legendary (NHL ret'd) Hockey Heroes.
    Proceeds went to the local Pediatric Exam room in the local hospital.
    It was a good way to combine two interests.

NHL players were:

Bryan Trottier
    Richard Brodeur
    Jack Valiquette
    Dave "Tiger" Williams
    Bob Bourne
    Ron Flockhart

MembersZone Subscriber

From the New York Times:
    No Talks and Little for Board to Discuss
    By JOE LAPOINTE

Published: January 7, 2005

The National Hockey League owners have not negotiated with their locked-out players union since Dec. 14. Now it appears that they will not even talk among themselves, at least not formally, for the foreseeable future.

The meeting of the board of governors scheduled for next Friday in New York was canceled with little explanation yesterday. Bill Daly, the league's executive vice president and chief legal officer, announced the decision in a memorandum to all 30 teams and later elaborated on the reasons.

"We spoke with each of the 30 clubs over the last two days and apprised them of the status of the situation and specifically the lack of any new developments," Daly wrote in an e-mail reply to written questions. "And the clubs were unanimous in their view that there was no reason to go forward with a meeting."

The meeting had been scheduled, he said, after two negotiating sessions in December led to some progress in collective bargaining. "It certainly was our hope - if not our expectation - that some additional progress would have been made and perhaps a new offer would have been delivered by the union," Daly wrote. "That hasn't happened."

Ted Saskin, senior director of the N.H.L. Players Association, issued a statement last night that said the league had not made "one bona-fide proposal that could work for both sides," and that it was up to the league to make the next offer.

"Collective-bargaining negotiations should involve reasonable attempts by both parties to find middle ground," Saskin said. "To date, the N.H.L. has not given us any signal that they're prepared to negotiate a compromise."

In the two meetings between the league and the players association in Toronto last month, each side rejected the most recent proposal from the other. On Dec. 9, the players association proposed a 24 percent cut in wages, a luxury tax on high-spending teams and other concessions to end a lockout that began on Sept. 15, before the start of training camps.

The league responded on Dec. 14, saying that the wage reduction was a good start, but that the owners demanded further concessions, including the elimination of salary arbitration and a guarantee that players would receive about 54 percent of team revenue.

Daly said the teams remained "entirely unified on both our objectives in collective bargaining and the strategy being employed" and reaffirmed that the league would not set a "drop-dead date" to cancel the season. The N.H.L. wants to reduce the average player salary to about $1.3 million from $1.83 million. The union said cost certainty is another term for a salary cap, an issue it will not negotiate.

The league has said it lost about $500 million on operations in the past two seasons. The union has expressed doubt about the league figures. No new talks have been scheduled.

Sr. Information Officer

A look at the NHL lockout through Tuesday, Jan. 11:

TOTAL DAYS OF LOCKOUT: 118.

TOTAL DAYS OF SEASON MISSED: 91.

GAMES LOST TUESDAY: 8.

TOTAL GAMES MISSED: 605 regular-season games plus the 2005
    All-Star game.

NEGOTIATIONS: The NHL rejected a players' association proposal
    and had its own counteroffer turned down during a 3-hour session
    on Dec. 14. No new talks are scheduled.

TUESDAY'S BEST CANCELED GAME: Dallas at Calgary. The Stars were
    to travel to Canada to face the Western Conference champions, who
    lost all four games last season to Dallas - including one in
    overtime.

ICE CHIP: While Calgary was making its surprising run to the
    finals, Dallas bowed out of the playoffs in the first round -
    losing to Colorado in five games. The Stars and Flames m once in
    the postseason and Calgary got the upper hand by winning the
    semifinal series in 1981. That was the first season the Flames
    played in Canada after moving from Atlanta.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

*sob* *sniffle* WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

From espn.com

Saturday, January 15, 2005

ESPN.com news services
    According to a report in the Toronto Sun, there probably won't be any hockey this season -- and maybe next.

Sources told Sun Media on Friday that NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow has told NHL players they should not only accept any current job offers in Europe immediately but also take any offers for next season because the lockout could drag on. Goodenow delivered the message via an audio message he posted on the union's private Web site, which only union members can access.

"I don't think we'll be playing," Eric Lindros told the Sun. "There's no communication ... I don't think we'll be playing this season at all.

"The bottom line for both sides is nobody should be worrying about public perception right now or who is right and who is wrong in all of this," he continued. "They should be putting their energy into trying to get a deal done. It's not going to matter who is winning the battle for public opinion if we don't get a deal done."

A source told the Sun that the NHL will make an offer next week, but no one is optimistic.

"I just don't think there's much reason for optimism with nothing happening right now," Lindros told the Sun. "We offered them the 24 percent (salary) rollback and I thought that was a very good offer. They didn't want it. We know that hockey is going to be back. But I can't tell you when and in what form."

Kay Whitmore, a former NHL goalie, said players were galvanized by the league's rejection of the salary cut, but he wondered if the union can withstand a two-year work stoppage.

"The only way someone is going to win is if both sides find a compromise, sit down right now and get a deal done," Whitmore told the Sun. "If that happens, then maybe both sides would truly be happy with what's happened. But the players' chances of winning don't improve the longer this goes. The deadline for the players to get their best deal is right now. I'm sure if this year is lost, it will be a bit of a shock."

Kirk Muller, a 19-year NHL veteran, said the sides won't be able to reach an agreement until they can trust each other.

"I'd be very surprised if there is any hockey this year," he said.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another...

Thursday, January 6, 2005

By Scott Burnside
    Special to ESPN.com
    The new World Hockey Association has a decision to make: start playing an abbreviated schedule in February or wait and launch a full season in the fall.

While there are several factors involved in the process, not the least of which is the number of teams, none of them include the National Hockey League.

On Friday, WHA president and chief executive officer Richard William "Ricky" Smith retracted a release from his office that stated the league will launch in the fall. He reiterated that the decision has yet to be made and the status of the NHL lockout will not dictate the WHA's timetable, which he plans to announce within the next two weeks.

"We're not trying to do this as quickly as possible just to have players on the ice for the month of February," Smith said.

In the meantime, Smith said he has fielded calls from NHL players, including Dallas Stars captain Mike Modano. Other NHLers -- like Brett Hull, son of the first WHA star and current commissioner Bobby Hull, Jeremy Roenick, Chris Chelios and netminder Manny Legace -- already have indicated they might be interested in playing in the league.

The WHA also has deployed scouts to evaluate players in North America and Europe, where many NHL players are biding their time during the lockout.

"It's definitely a long shot. You can't expect it to work. But if it does it'll be a great thing for the sport," said Louis Sitaras, one of four primary investors. "It's just an opportunity I see that has unbelievable up-side."

The reincarnation of the WHA was left for dead in September after a poorly executed and hurried attempt to take advantage of the impending NHL lockout. A slightly altered version of the original WHA, a rogue league that operated from 1972-79 and drove up player salaries by using lofty contracts to lure away established NHL players, the 2004 edition was billed as being more entertaining and financially conservative than the NHL.

Smith, the leader of a group of investors that bought the WHA trademarks from co-founder Nick Vaccaro in October, promises the same. But this time, he said, the "new" WHA has $50 million in financial backing, which is enough to launch a 6-8 team league without having an owner in each market. The league anticipates good leases in good buildings will attract strong ownership and, in turn, good players.

"It was primarily a hockey decision, not a financial decision," Smith said from the league offices in Oakville, Ontario, a western suburb of Toronto. "Since then we've cleaned up the league, solved all the debt that was around it."

Smith, 47, a British Columbia native whose financial background is in the timber industry, and Sitaras, 43, a Florida businessman involved in real estate and investments, had planned to own and operate the Minneapolis franchise in last year's failed venture, but were unable to reach a lease agreement with the Target Center. Another overture to arena management was rebuffed earlier this week.

Although there are 13 markets that have a facility that could support a franchise, the plan is to start small and expand, with a European division targeted for the league's second full season. Smith wouldn't identify all 13 markets, but listed Las Vegas, Toronto, Vancouver, Phoenix, Dallas and Quebec City as likely ones.

While the WHA doesn't want to rush the process, filling the void being left by the NHL lockout and playing a half-season now would go a long way in ensuring the WHA's viability next season.

The league will operate with a soft cap that, depending on the number of franchises, will be in the $14 million range. If the WHA does implement a half-schedule this year, the cap would be about $5 million, Smith said.

Each team will be allowed one "marquee" player whose salary would be capped at $5 million (reduced accordingly for a half-season) and one sub-marquee player whose salary would be capped at half of that. The irony of a player rejecting a cap in the NHL and an average salary of at least $1.3 million to play under a cap system in a fledgling, low-budget professional league is not lost on Smith.

"It's not so much how we'll pay but how we'll explain it," Smith said.

For instance, players will be allowed to have a stake in ownership. Smith hopes netminder Ed Belfour, who was involved in the previous WHA's Dallas franchise, will again be involved. Teams will have an open-book policy, with designated player representatives who will have access to the books whenever they want, Smith said.

"Profit-sharing with the players is our intent," he added. "That shouldn't be confused with, 'let's have profit-sharing because we don't plan to pay you well.' "

On the ice, the WHA plans to implement many of the rule changes adopted this year by the American Hockey League, which include restricting goaltenders' ability to play the puck, no-touch icing, tag-up off-sides and a shootout to determine tie games.

Also, roster sizes will likely be reduced to 17 or 18 players.

Smith said there has been discussion with a major television network and regional broadcasters, though he declined to specify which ones.

While top agents say they are not familiar with Smith or the WHA's plans, one major agent said the NHL would do well to be wary of the new league.

High-profile players like Hull, Chelios, Roenick, Belfour and others who are nearing the end of their careers might be inclined to join a rival league if the NHL lockout appears to be headed for a second season. Plus, highly-paid players in their prime who have enough financial security might take a chance on becoming a marquee player in a well-run North American league or to wait out the negotiating process.

Scott Burnside is a freelance writer based in Atlanta and is a frequent contributor to ESPN.com.

Forum Member

Interesting that they hope players (and some have indicated already) will be willing to play for a league....that has a salary cap. What was the lockout about again?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Sr. Information Officer

By IRA PODELL
    AP Sports Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) - For the first time in more than a month, a group
    of officials from the NHL and the players' association will meet
    Wednesday in what could be a last-ditch effort to save the hockey
    season.
    "We think it is appropriate and hopefully useful to engage in
    these discussions at this time," Ted Saskin, the union's senior
    director, said Monday. "We are not meeting to present a new
    proposal and remain committed to reaching a fair deal that does not
    include a salary cap."
    Monday marked the 124th day of the lockout. So far, the NHL has
    resisted announcing a drop-dead date in which a collective
    bargaining agreement must be made to save this season. But with 650
    regular-season games plus this year's All-Star game, already
    canceled, it appears that time is short to make a deal.
    NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and players' association Bob
    Goodenow, who have butted heads throughout the process, are
    expected to sit out this session. The idea to meet in a smaller
    group was hatched by players' association president Trevor Linden.
    Linden, Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge will
    represent the players. Calgary Flames part owner Harley Hotchkiss,
    the chairman of the NHL's board of governors; Bill Daly, the NHL's
    chief legal officer; and outside counsel Bob Batterman, will be
    present for the owners.
    The NHL is not expected to make a new proposal at the meeting,
    either.
    The sides have not met since Dec. 14 when the NHL rejected the
    union's proposal - made five days earlier. A counteroffer made by
    the league also was rejected by the players during that session in
    Toronto.
    The players' association got talks restarted in December, after
    three months of silence, with a proposal centered on an immediate
    24-percent salary rollback on all existing contracts. Owners
    rejected that plan and countered with a salary-cap structured
    offer.
    The NHLPA is adamant that it will never accept a salary cap. The
    union's offer featured a luxury-tax and revenue-sharing system.
    Bettman has said that he has no interest in a luxury tax.
    During the 103-day lockout that disrupted the 1994-95 season, an
    agreement was reached on Jan. 11, 1995, allowing for a 48-game
    season that began nine days later.
    If the season is wiped out, it would mark the first time in 86
    years that the Stanley Cup wasn't awarded. A flu epidemic canceled
    the 1919 final series between Montreal and Seattle. No North
    American sports league has lost an entire season due to a labor
    dispute.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

No North American sports league has lost an entire season due to a labor dispute.
    and no one would have thought Boston would come back from 3-0 against the Yankees. This WILL be the first entire season lost. Hopefully, there will be a season next year...

Forum Member

Just heard this morning that the union has asked for a meeting. Interesting that neither union boss Goodenow(?) and comish Bettman have NOT been invited. Stay tuned...

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information