Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Thumbs up to a Justice....

Supreme Court justice shows up for jury duty in Marlborough court
    By Gina Holland / Associated Press
    Wednesday, January 5, 2005

MARLBOROUGH -- No one took any notice of the tall, slim man who appeared yesterday for jury duty. Had he worn his black robe, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer no doubt would have drawn more attention.

Even Marlborough District Court Judge Thomas Sullivan Jr. did not recognize Breyer, a Cambridge resident, until he read the justice's name on a document listing potential jurors for cases he was hearing.

"When I looked at the slip, I said, 'Oh, my God,'" Sullivan said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Two cases were to be heard, one for drunken driving and another for assault. Enough jurors were picked for the assault case before Breyer's name was called, and the defense attorney in the drunken driving case excluded the justice from that jury.

According to Sullivan, the defense attorney said, "The last thing I need is two judges on the case."

Breyer, 66, said he felt it was important to do his civic duty and report to the courthouse. He divides his time between Washington and Massachusetts.

"It proves that everyone can participate, and in a democracy that is important," Breyer said.

Sullivan was impressed.

"If anyone could have made a phone call and gotten out of it, he could have. He really wanted to sit on the case," Sullivan said. "That might put some other people to shame who were planning to try to get out of jury duty."
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

It's nice to see that some "higher ups" are taking jury duty seriously. When I had duty this spring, a woman was complaining that she shouldn't be there because her cousin was a cop, standing right behind her was a local police chief that I know. He was just smirking the whole time she was complaining to the court officer, and when it was his time, the officer addressed him as chief and registered him...the look on the woman's face when she did that was priceless
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Rather impressive if I do say so. He knew he wouldn't get picked for a jury, but he still went adn didn't wiggle out of it.

I'll never get picked for a jury because of my medical and educational background, but I would not have a problem with it, unless it turns into an OJ or Kobe freak show with all of those twit reporters.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Holy cow; a person who stands up for what he believes in. How novel in this world today. Ya gotta respect the man for that, even if your personal views differ.
    On the home front; I have wanted to participate in jury duty for years but my name has never come up. I was totally disgusted with my M-I-L; she got picked and whined her way out of it citing financial reasons. I have never respected her quite as much since then. If one is going to whine about the justice system then one should try taking a closer look at the process to see if imrovements can be made. M-I-L just whines

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

has a president ever been summoned for jury duty?

I got called once and was not picked because i was asked if i favored police officers, I said yes, they said good bye.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Default not to nitpic, but

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    Supreme Court justice shows up for jury duty in Marlborough court
    By Gina Holland / Associated Press
    Wednesday, January 5, 2005

MARLBOROUGH ... Breyer, 66, said he felt it was important to do his civic duty and report to the courthouse. He divides his time between Washington and Massachusetts.

"It proves that everyone can participate, and in a democracy that is important," Breyer said.

it would have been even more impressive had the judge referred to the US as a REPUBLIC

But he still gets an attaboy

Thread Information