Thread: Cheaters

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cheaters

In the efforts of stimulating discussion, does anyone have any experience with cheaters or bite bars? If you have used one or the other I'd like to see your input pro's and cons alike. If you don't know what they are or are looking to tell me about how stupid people are for using them go away I am looking for first hand knowledge from people who have used them or continue to do so.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Cheater and Bite Bar were good for Roof,OVM, and Chauffer. I liked the bite bar better for some eye protection.

CONS: Both the Cheater and Bite Bar can give you a false sense of security. If you loses conciseness your in trouble. Please don’t use them. I had a friend that used one and is no longer around.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Default I guess I am stupid

Ray, could you explain these to me? I would ask jf, but he would just tell me to "go away".
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

My ex-wife was (is) a cheater... cost me $18K to get rid of her!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I brought this question up many months ago and many people either were totally miffed at what I was talking about or totally berated the thought. It seems like it could be a very useful tool especially if your working on a smoky roof or somewhere on the exterior if you just need a few hits of fresh air or while your leaning over making a cut. However like 35/40 stated I guess there are some situations where they can get you into trouble. I also believe that they are not allowed by some depts. Not to mention I would not even know where to begin looking for one.

Mikey! As far as I can explain it, it is a a bar that is on the inside of the face piece that you bite on and hold to your face like that, this way you don't have to constantly put it on and take it off.

Forum Member

Originally posted by firefiftyfive
    I also believe that they are not allowed by some depts.
    They're not allowed by any department that actually wants to be in compliance with the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard. Without a NIOSH approval, its not an approved respiratory protection device.

Same goes for the biter bar. Unless its approved for use by the manufacturer and included in the NIOSH approval, modifications to a respirartor aren't allowed.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think any dept condones the use, I know they are in use I see them in the field. I do not use one however I can see the advantage especially for the outside team especially for roof ops. One member recently got badly jammed up using one and nearly died. Dying could definitly be looked at as a disadvantage to using one.

For those who don't know, the bite bar is inside the facepiece and is used to breath while not using the hair net on the mask. Cheaters come in different forms some used without the facepiece in place and others with it in place using a scuba type mouthpiece or other firefighter innovation. Firefighters have used these sucessfully and unsuccessfully for years I would just like to hear from them so as not to make a judgement on the unknown.

Forum Member

They were (are) useful in some situations. They were great on a smoky roof, or OV making a quick search, nasty food on the stove, overhauling etc..Like any other tool, you got to know how,when to use it. I know ALOT of people are gonna say HOW COULD YOU!! But I assure you it was a very useful tool. That being said, I no longer use it, for ONE reason, to many powers that be looking to make an example out of you if you get caught using it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any photos of the above?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

10-4 ain't that the truth.
    Nice job saving those kids, why don't you have a collared shirt on?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I can understand the concept, although I've never seen one, much less used one. But a question...could you still even use one with the positive-pressure SCBA's we have today? I mean, you'd still have to turn on and off the regulator every time you used it, anyhow. I can see with the old demand-style packs, you could put it up to your face, breathe, take it off and the flow would shut down automatically. Today's packs, when you remove the mask the regulator is going to free-flow, so you'd still have to hit the doffing switch. You can't even get straight demand-style units anymore, can you?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thank you. I am familiar with said device. They are used around here. Not by me.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Maybe I'm too young to have experienced this device, but am I hearing this correct... you hold the mask to your face with your teeth by biting on this bar attached to it? Umm, what if you sneeze?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

A cheater looks like a scba mouth piece. They were adapted for the Scott regulator of the original 4.5 mask assemblies. FDNY truckies had them since the 70's.
    A bite bar is a facepiece that adaptors to a Scott regulator with a bar in it to bite down on. The facepiece has no straps. They have been around since the early 80's.
    AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE THEM.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 01-07-2005 at 07:33 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Likewise about the cheater Matt. Never with the irons,always with the saw.

Thread Information