Thread: Work-Out Plan

Smile Work-Out Plan

Ok, I am waiting to hear on the results from my 'FireFighters Exam' and trying to prepare for the CPAT-I have been hitting the gym hard for over a month now, working on cardio, leg strength and upper body strength...Does anyone know any specific exercises I can do to help me? I dont 'personally' know anyone on a Fire Dept. so I cant practice or get any formal advice...I could use all the help I can get! Thanks for everything...

Default well...

I can't really help you, as I am just in the beginning stages of my workout, but I have a great standing squat you can do, that makes me want to cry almost everytime.

okay, in a standing position, put your right leg out and touch the heel of your foot first and then go flat on the floor, squat and then use your leg to push back up while bringing your knee to your chest (only use your leg if you are holding onto something for balance!!), repeat. After about 10 of these add in another step....

After you do the squat with your leg up front, bring your leg back up to your chest, push the same leg backwards into a squat and then use your leg to push back up while bringing your knee back to your chest, and then push the leg back out front into your squat, repeat about another 10 times. If you do it right, it burns, but it is a good burn. If you dont understand the excersize, let me know and I can do a video for you.

Then switch to your left leg!

This I find, really works for me. Good Luck with your CPAT

Talking thanks

Thanks for the advice...I am looking to invest in a weighted vest also... =)

Talking anytime

I see there is another thread on the weight vests, but I dunno. I was just going to grab my bookbag and fill it with weights and then do my squats. But I am cheap..lol..I will have to read that thread.

But ya, give those squats a try. Let me know how they work out for you.

Forum Member

Just use a bookbag and put 50lbs or get a fishing vest and put led in the pockets that also works real well.

My advice from a fitness guru's perspective, not a Firefighter's, is to just concentrate on the basic core movements. Work on squats, military presses, benchpress or pushups, any pulling movements such as pullups or seated rows, etc. Dont focus too much on the isolation lifts like concentration curls and tricep kickbacks and the like.
    *Inside of every Democrat is a Republican trying to get out*

Default My version of a weighted vest =)

Well I have thought of way to make a weighted vest...you all know the plain orange life vests? the cheap ones? Well you cut a hole and take out the foam...and fill it with sand! and just sew it back up....I call it the redneck version =) Well all I have been doing is working out like I used to in highschool...I was in great shape then...so I just use what I know...thanks for everyones advice!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Working out

The CPAT test is a demanding test if you have never done weighted stairs or alot of physical training in your life. One thing alot of people need to be aware of is that durring the CPAT ( IN CT ) they make you walk on a stair stepper for 3 minutes before you do any of your other skills. What you need to understand is that the stair stepper they use is one where the stairs rotate and drop out from underyou as your step. Most people do not have a stair stepper like this in their home or at their gym. You actually have to step from one stair to the next not just move your legs up and down. The best way to get prepaired for this type of exercise is to find a tall building inyour area or a stadium and climb stairs with the 75lbs. Do not run persay up the stairs but make sure you keep a pace of 1 stair a second. If you are to fast it may cause you to trip when you take the test because your mind is used to moving your feet faster than they need to be moved. The weight vest is a great investment but you can use a backpack with 75lbs in it.

Train your legs to be ready for the test. If you practice with a 50lbs vest and can do all the exercises start adding a few pounds in that bag and then when it comes time for you to take your test the 50lbs vest will be a breaze for your legs.

Another training tip is go to your local gym when it is not to buys and set up 7 or 8 exercises like lat pull downs, rows, squats, lunges etc. And wear your weighted bag and walk around the gym between each excercise giving yourself no rest except the walk from station to station. This will help with your endurance and mimic the rest you will get at the test.

I have one of those stairclimber units at my gym, that thing will get your legs burning like nothing else. I think I'll start using that thing more often now.
    *Inside of every Democrat is a Republican trying to get out*

Forum Member

If the CPAT that you are getting ready for is the same one developed by the IAFF/IAFC then work on cardio alot. The time on the stepmill can kill you. Most guys have trouble there while the women seem to have trouble with the strength stuff near the end.

MembersZone Subscriber

The gym at the fire station has a stair climber with the rotating stairs, it took a few times to get the hang of it with out tripping over the steps.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Stepmill will be great for your preparation, especially when you add your backpack. Just make sure you're progressive when adding weight. If your hips, core (hips, abs, & low back), and lower legs aren't ready for the extra weight, you could develop shin splints and knee pain. To prevent this, make sure you have good flexibility in your adductors (groin muscle), quads, hamstrings, and calves. On the flip side, make sure you strengthen your anterior tibialis (shin muscle), hip abductors (glutes & outer hips muscles), and core. Squats and deadlifts are great, but don't forget the lunges. Lunges are great for posterior chain (hamstring & glute) development. You can also lunge in all directions to strengthen all of the muscles in your legs and hips. An example leg circuit would be:
    forward lunge 8-10 each leg (stepping forward)
    squats 10 (as quickly as possible)
    lateral lunge 8-10 each leg (stepping out to side like a groin stretch)
    reverse lunge 8-10 each leg (stepping backwards)

You can use this as a conditioning circuit at the end of your workout. After you improve your balance a bit, start to add some weight (add 5 -10 pounds each week). When you get to 50 lbs. of weight in the backpack, about 4 weeks before your test, do this circuit in the beginning of your strength training program. This will help you train to perform in a fatigued state, similar to the CPAT. If any of you have any questions regarding rest times and such, just let me know.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

Default weight vest or back pack?

Does the back pack method work just as good as the weighted vests? I have heard the vests are nice but if I can save a buck going the back pack route I'm game. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I have only had 2 minor problems with weighted backpacks: 1) if you put weight plates in the pack, they shift around while you are moving. Not only is it irritating, but it also throws off your center of gravity unnecessarily. 2) When I had mine up to about 50-60 pounds, the plastic clip broke. I reinforced with the All-American duct tape, and it's been fine since. Other than that, I've still managed to train with the back pack.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

There is a new program on pretty much all the new gaming platforms, and PC that is pretty much a personal trainer based on what you need. I usually feel I have to look so dumb doing it, but I have improved my flexibility, lost some weight, and just gotten into better shape. If you need a starting point you might want to try it, then move on to more firefighter specific workouts. the site for it is Yourself Fitness

Thread Information