Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default First fire of '05

Only my second shift of the new year and we get a fire, and a 2 banger at that. Nothing major, just a roof fire started by workers at a four story condo (had the same thing a month or so ago). We dont see much fire so its a nice way to start '05

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

we had a structure fire on my second shift of the new year as well. Sounds like it was a pretty good one. I was on sick leave so I missed it. And was on leave for our last good fire in December as well..... I'm noticing a pattern here!!!!!!
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a tractor trailer with it's brakes on fire, burned up the rear tires on the tractor but saved the cab.
    Last edited by Truck106; 01-06-2005 at 12:26 AM.

Had a few little fires here and there since the start of the year. Most of them have been "can jobs".

Let's hope it stays quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Finished incident reports for 2004 yesterday and we had just 95 calls all year. We generally average 120 to 130, so I'm enjoying the respite from the paperwork.

One minor MVC so far this year, still waiting on that second incident.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Our first fire of 2005 was a member's house, while he was away on vacation. The fire was first spotted at about 4:30 am by a neighbor when it had burned through the roof. Unfortunatly, the structure was a total loss with most of the contents destroyed. Not a good way for us to start off the new year .....

MembersZone Subscriber

Our year started off with a bang as well. we had a serious car crash, a rather odd one at that. (pt. found in a tree) We had a strange medical call involving the EMS helicoptor and then a full out structure fire which is pretty rare for us. The house was pretty much a total loss. I wonder if this is any indication of the rest of the year! we're in for a long one if it is.

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
    Our first fire of 2005 was a member's house, while he was away on vacation. The fire was first spotted at about 4:30 am by a neighbor when it had burned through the roof. Unfortunatly, the structure was a total loss with most of the contents destroyed. Not a good way for us to start off the new year .....
    Has there been a help fund set up for this?

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Arrow Only took three hours for us...

My department didn't waste much time. Our B Shift (I'm a C-shifter) had a small house fire at 0256 on New Year's Day. The neighbors said they saw fireworks go off in the direction of the vacant house that caught fire. The fire was burning the siding off the home when our guys got there. They knocked it down quickly before it made it into the house.

Had a call last night for an alarm in a 2 story motel. Got key from manager and began checking rooms. Found "incense", as he described it, burning in the Manager's own room. Funny smelling "incense" with that 5 point leaf... We cleared scene, PD was still there talking with him....for some reason.

damn, I got the munchies.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Dave ... there has no official fund setup but we have given him some money from our firefighters fund as well as personal donations from the members and the community. Luckily, he was up to date on his insurance so after that kicks in he'll be in fairly descent shape. If you desire any more information or would like to help, you can contact me at my email which is firesafetyed@aol.com.
    Thank you for asking brother ..it's things like that that makes the fire service such a great family to be a part of.

Looks like the cause was a short in his phone charger in the kitchen.

The Station has had a busy start to the year with a few 4 pumpers and a 6 pumper (Dunno what they are over there??) But basically fires that require mmore equipment to be sent after the initial call. One was pretty good when I was off that was in a derelict Nightclub. Also on new years day a Fire in a block of High Rise flats where someone jumped from the 7th floor and lived.

MembersZone Subscriber

Saturday morning, January 1st, we had a house fire. From what we can tell, they were using a wood burning stove in a back bedroom and the pipe wasn't secure and it caught the wall on fire. We knocked it down quick but it still caused extensive damage.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a barn fire, someone saw a glow in a field, fully engulfed lost hay and a tractor. Electric fence charger started it.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Unhappy

Our year started off with a bang as well; first MVA, hit and run motorcycle accident 9:30 pm jan 1. Fatal, driver was caught.
    First fire; A real bang felt 5+ miles away, Dispatch: dwelling w/burn victim possible explosion, cheif arrives to find a split level house blown out to ground level, basement walls buried to about 4ft in front and 7ftin back. 1victim trasnp to burn ctr. parts of house found 40ft up in trees, and 100ft away on the ground. Incident under investigation, Jan 6.

Alan
    Last edited by ARH176; 01-08-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Arrow Only took 8 days...

Had our first call of the New Year earlier this evening, at about 18:30 or so...fully involved trailer fire, waaaayyy into the next county. We were returned before getting on scene. I talked to someone who was on scene...it seems that the residents of the home knocked out all the windows, and then complained that his home was all burnt up because the FD took so long getting there...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

First week of the new year we had a fully involved second floor apartment fire. One fatality. Hopefully the only one of the year.

Cause still under investigation by State Fire Marshal.

Default We had an "event"

a DREADED chimney fire cluster bang ............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

No big calls as of yet. Weve had 2 alarms off, a stove fire (cancelled enroute), electrical fire, and about 4-5 medicals. Hopefully it stays quiet for awhile. Oh and I forgot the big flooding of Western PA over the past couple days.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: We had an "event"

Originally posted by Weruj1
    a DREADED chimney fire cluster bang ............
    Hey we had one of those too...put it out before it got to the attic though.

Our first call of the year was a car fire followed up by the ever popular Code 2 "Ill Person" run
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information