MembersZone Subscriber

Question Respect at the kitchen table

I know it's hard when you get a bunch of guys at one table eating. What are the rules at your station?? Does all the vulgarities stop at the table or do you keep on talking about nasty stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about normal cussing, or discussing bloody calls.

I'm talking about vulgar comments! The type that would disgust your mother!

This has been a pretty hot topic at our station lately.
    Last edited by COFire; 01-06-2005 at 12:53 AM.
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ===================================

Forum Member

I can only speak from my past experience, but every station (and even shift) is different. I've worked in some stations and on some shifts where it was an ongoing competition. (The worst was when a medical student riding the medic became ill during dinner due to the table talk. Unfortunately, I can imagine the impression of the fire service she has to this day.) I've worked in other stations where such conduct would not have been tolerated.

In my opinion, the shift/station officer determines the conduct of the crew. If the officer tolorates it, anything goes. The best officers are the ones who lead by example and have the respect of the crew. If someone gets out of line, all that is required is a raised eyebrow or a brief informal chat in the apparatus bay and the problem is solved. Just my experience.

Forum Member

I think the 'best' dinner table I've been able to sit at was definately the one in my previous department.

We had a ritual of how everything was done. Each shift, the duties of prepping and making the meal, along with cleaning up and taking care of the kitchen work was delegated between the crew each shift. The same person never did the same thing two times in a row, unless there was someone filling in for someone else.

One man would help prep the meal, and would set the table with what was needed. One man would make the meal itself, someone would clean up the dishes and kitchen area, and one man would wash and dry, then put away the dishes.

During the meal, you didn't swear, you used the best table manners you had, you didn't complain about not liking the food (or you brought your own), we didn't discuss 'the job', and you never got away without helping out in some form.

I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a ritual of how everything was done.
    Our biggest thing is that the cook doesn't do the dishes.. When I cook I use every pan I can find......
    COFire

Forum Member

Our biggest thing is that the cook doesn't do the dishes.. When I cook I use every pan I can find......
    The meals better be good if we get the extra cleaning every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Default Miss Manners....

I always thought that you didn't have to worry about when the verbal abuse started in the firehouse(even at the kitchen table) you had to worry about when it stopped, because that's when there was a problem. If anybody gets that verbally obnoxious, it should be up to the company officer to put a stop to it.

Requirements for firehouse food:
    1. Hot
    2. A lot of it
    3. No special requests--never saw a vegetarian in a firehouse.
    4. Don't ask to see the receipts. If you don't believe that beans and wieners for lunch and meatloaf for dinner cost $150, that's your problem.

"It was a meal fit for a KIng..here, King, here boy....good dog.."
    Last edited by CDean867; 01-06-2005 at 10:45 AM.

Forum Member

Does depend on the shift/crew. I would say my departmnt as a whole isnt all that vulgar, but we can have our moments. And that goes for around the table or around the station.

The only time I try and tone it down a bit is if I happen to work with our one female FF/Medic or during the weekdays if our female inspector is around. Now both can "dish it out" with the best of us and we condsider them "just one of the guys". But they are women, and that's just the way I was raised Heck, Ill even hold the door for them

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Only thing that is 100% not allowed: if you pass gas at the table or kitchen area while ANYONE is still eating...you got dishes.

Other than that...we all pitch in. We don't discus bodily functions, etc while eating.

Some Guy

It's a free for all, or anything goes. I learned to grow think skin some time ago.
    This space for rent

Anything goes really. We pretty much get started on topics and everyone follows. Cook usually doesn't do dishes. well i do most of it b/c I'm a *New* volunteer at my career/vol station. But this shouldn't last too long....

MembersZone Subscriber

At our house nothing in our conversation changes from 0700 to 0700. It is pretty much a free for all..... That is unless there is someone from the public present. Then we are all on our best behavior. Like little angels!!

MembersZone Subscriber

As the old saying goes:

"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"

Forum Member

In my one of the companies that I run with, the only "unwritten rule" is that no one smokes around the person(s) eating. In most cases, the conversation change their tone or the people talking move to some other area in lounge.

It is a good habit for a lot of reasons and common courtesy.

MembersZone Subscriber

My biggest complaint is while we're eating lately there's alot of talking about bodily functions, the color, consistency of your s**t more than once talking about menstrual cunnilingus and other topics that aren't normally talked about.

This just started a month or so ago and so far are showing no signs of stopping. Yes I have thick skin, I can handle pretty much anything as long as it's not while I'm eating dinner.

And yes, we do have a couple females on shift. I know that they really don't care for it, but they're fairly new & are afraid to voice opinions on what is for dinner not to mention what's being talked about.

My biggest concern is that someday, somebody is going to have a bad day and the next thing you know we'll all have a big meeting and grievances being filed. However I guess I was out of line for trying to get others to understand my point.
    COFire

Forum Member

Red face

A little sassin' off about to go on here....

On my shift, as well as the others, it is a testosterone rich enviroment, with all that comes with that end of the spectrum. I know that there are some females here that go out of their way to prove that they are just like "the guys", but then when the guy's talk vulgar around them, they are offended but afraid to speak. Some of the females that come in once in a while are timid little creatures that say nothing, whether it's positive or negative. Then there's me! I can gab with the guy's, tease and taunt with them, and most of the time tolerate them well. However, I am old enough now and wise enough to know that men will only do(for the most part) what you allow them to. If they become so obnoxious that it passes my barriers of acceptable conversation, I speak up with, " Hey-lady present. Would you say that to your mother?" All it takes is to remind them once in a while that you're there, and you matter as much as the next person. If you say nothing then you have no complaint-obviously. Bottom line in my opinion: men are from earth, women are from earth, get over it and get on with life.
    That said, I'm not picking on my fellow females, just reminding you, it's okay to tell tho men when it's too much.
    Okay, that was enough sassin' off. Time to go work.
    Last edited by sassy1; 01-08-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information