Forum Member

Question National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. Who!

Ok! My department has just received a survey authorized by NGA to collect fire station data as part of the Homeland Security Geospatial Infrastructure Datebase.

Part of the survey reads as follows.

As the lead federal agency responsible for Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT)within the defense and intelligence community The NGA is working to apply its imagery and geospatial expertise and analytic resources,critical for traditional foreign missions,to domestic homeland security mission. and on and on and on.

I believe ,between the Fema,USFA,and ISO the information should all ready be available.The information is no more detailed than what a ISO upgrade who require.Who making the cash off of this federal contract
    Last edited by coldfront; 09-14-2005 at 01:24 AM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

From Wikipedia:

The U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), before 2004 known as the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), was established October 1, 1996, by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency Act of 1996. The creation of NGA (NIMA) followed more than a year of study, debate and planning by the defense, intelligence and policy-making communities as well as the Congress, and continuing consultations with customer organizations. NGA is part of the U.S. Department of Defense, however as it has responsibilities to customers outside the DoD, NGA is also a member of the 15 agencies that make up the U.S. Intelligence Community.

You can read the rest here.

Their official website is at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

They also make all Nautical navigation charts outside US domestic waters, and publish most navigational publications used by the navy, coastguard, Merchant Marine, comercial and recreation vessels. A friend of mine from college works for them, and to get hired he had to get a security clearance. Trust me they are a real agency. Their name changes over the past 8 years or so: DIMA-NIMA-NGA is becuase of the US government combining various agencies into one to streamline things. (Yeah right, the truth of whether that is true or not is beyond me...)
    IACOJ light and power detail

Thread Information