Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: practical exam

MembersZone Subscriber

Question practical exam

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do better on the written exam. I feel like I know what to expect but when I go to take it, I leave feeling like I was unprepared. And what is a good grade to shoot for??

Forum Member

Default Written

Sure, check out www.fireprep.com

Also look at the Career Articles section of this web site by clicking on Jobs on the tool bar above this posting.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thank you for your response. I will be checking out the areas you suggested.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Look around

I would also try to find out what the test is like. I took three written test last year. Each was different from the others. One delt with all Human Resource problems and harrassment. One was a math test with what would you do. The third which I did the best on was acombination of the other two. The third was a test written by the city not from a civil service exam book. Just some food for thought.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

alrisden -- MacInnis is right, first you have to know what type of written test your taking. There were books that had previous FDNY exams in it and it was the best prep I could have. Just to have the experience, timing myself (so I could learn to pace myself through the test) and learning from my mistakes. I was able to cut down my mistakes to only one on the final test that I took (which happened to be the memorization section of the test).

Good Luck to you

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks....

Thanks for the advice, all will be looked into and used. Everything you all have said is very helpful.

Forum Member

Default Psyched out?

If you havenít already figured it out yet, there are psych questions being placed in the entry-level written test to eliminate candidates early in the process. The red-hot candidates, who have been the backbone of the fire service are taken out by these purposeless questions. If you answer those questions as you normally would, you could fail that section. Go figure. Are you prepared? Most arenít. Weíve had several calls from candidates looking for a way to get over this hurdle.

ďJust because youíre paranoid doesnít mean theyíre not after you.Ē

www.fireprep.com is the only one we are aware of that has the inside track on how to prepared for this type of test. One of our candidates got the home study course from Fire Prep. His buddies laughed at him for spending the money. He said on his next test if he had answered the psych questions like he normally would, he would have failed. He passed. His buddies didnít. Go figure.

Try this approach. Instead of taking the sample tests in the written test books cold, go to the answers in the back and go through the first time with the answers. Then youíll know what they are looking for in the answers. It will cut your learning time. There are only so many ways they can ask a question on the same topic. You will get to the point where you can look at a question and go right to the answer. It will become scary.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Thread Information